Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evoen

nmap w/ Vista

7 posts in this topic

Is there any hope in getting nmap compatible with vista? Or maybe this is a WinPcap issue?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\nmap -sS -P0 192.168.1.100

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-10-19 11:00 Central Daylight Time
pcap_open_live(net0, 100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter: The sy
stem cannot find the device specified. (20). Will wait 5 seconds then retry.

Could this be a permissions thing? i know i had an issue in vista and wireshark and it rquired me to run it as Administrator.

Could this be a permissions thing?

my user account is listed in the local admin group. I would think that gives me full admin rights. no?

Could this be a permissions thing?

my user account is listed in the local admin group. I would think that gives me full admin rights. no?

It should do, but you never know with Vista. I would still open up a prompt as Administrator and give it a go. Unfortunately i have never used Nmap on windows, only on Linux.

sl (which i think stands for scanline) from Foundstone is a scanner i like to use on that platform. or if i use a scanner with a gui i like SuperScan

This doesn't really answer your question in regards to nmap compatability with vista, but might I suggest just using backtrack? Its a linux based bootable CD with nmap and a ton of other scanning tools you would ever need....

From what ive heard. M$ blocks nmap from running for some reason. Supposedly since xp SP 2.

Nmap works for me on Vista, with both Administrator and regular permissions.

Edited by Spyril