Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
El Jefe

New PhoneTrips recordings

11 posts in this topic

Now available at Phone Trips:

Kenly and Clayton, NC steps, parts 1 and 2.

Tidewater Virginia phone trips, parts 1 and 2.

It's almost 2 hours of new recordings.

Ahh great stuff!! thanks for posting that Id maybe not of checked for a while otherwise!

Ah, sounds from my backyard, circa 31 years ago. Sounds of central Virginia - King George, Colonial Beach, etc. - all local calls from where I now live. Pitty I didn't live in this area back then! (I was on the west coast served from a 5XB back then).

I already thanked Evan Doorbell - hopefully that will encourage him to post the other parts. He told me that he has some good sounds of the Bowling Green, VA step by step.

I love listening to Phone Trips - its like at time machine! :)

I actually lived in Central Virginia until not too long ago, getting service from one of the two Central Telephone DMSes in Charlottesville. In a way, it's a little sad to hear these recordings. Not because the switches are digital now (actually, I like some of the fun things that digitals offer that'd be impossible in the electromechanical world), but COCOTs and remote line concentrators. In 1993, Sprint/Central Telephone brought ACTS service to an end, and retrofitted all the Centurions in the area with Intellicall COCOT boards. Now, it's almost impossible to experience a lot of the things that this awesome telephone company has unless you have direct access to a physical line from each and every switch.

Remotes are an issue that seems to lurk near the other parts of Virginia. A lot of the independents out there were swallowed up by Continental Telephone, which was gobbled up by GTE in the early 1990's. In a lot of cases, instead of installing a whole new switch, they'd install something a little like a huge ATA; a remote switch produces dialtone, busy, and ring, but when it recieves digits, it gets sent over a T-carrier trunk to the host central office regardless of what happens, and lets it deal with the actual call handling process. Being as popular as they are, a lot of areas that aren't big enough to justify having their own central office, or are so rural that it wouldn't be economically feasible to run a remote out there, a lot of areas end up being exactly the same.

Edit for grammar.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Am I seeing things? There is now two more recordings up on Phonetrips! Man someone has been busy! oh goody! :)

Nope, you didn't see it at all.

Seriously - there are 5 parts to the series, and Evan Doorbell posted two more this week (at my urging!). He told me the Bowling Green one is pretty good - will listen to it tonight. :D

About Charlottesville with EMBARQ/Sprint/Centel - DMSes aren't the only systems they put remote line concentrators on. I'm in old C&P/Bell Atlantic land in nearby Fredericksburg. I'm served out of one of those crappy devices. Even though the master switch is a 5ESS, I get a shitty dialtone from one of these RLCs. Sounds like shit - doesn't even sound real (hell, I've heard better fake dialtones from a COCOT!).

I remember a while back the box's power supplies died and we were without landline for 3 days over a long weekend. Guess Verizon really cares about their customers.. NOT! :angry:

Edited by dmine45

About Charlottesville with EMBARB/Sprint/Centel - DMSes aren't the only systems they put remote line concentrators on.

Some manufacturers try to lock you into their equipment, but yeah, even tiny CO switches that serve a maximum of 96 subscribers by stock can support remotes, weirdly enough. On another note, have you ever picked up an ACTS phone on a 5E remote? They always seem to have a weird buzzing noise on the coin return and other voltage-related things compared to host 5Es.

On another note, have you ever picked up an ACTS phone on a 5E remote? They always seem to have a weird buzzing noise on the coin return and other voltage-related things compared to host 5Es.

I wonder if they're served out of the host CO and not the remote?

I know if the phone line is incredibly long that the coin return may not work right because of the voltage drop over a very long line. I remember visiting the restaurants along Shenadoah Drive and found this to be the case. The middle section is technically the Shenadoah National Park ratecenter, but served out of the 5E remote in Sperryville - and its host is in Culpeper. (Northern part is Front Royal and southern part is Crozet).

A couple more recordings showed up on Phone Trips this weekend:

Tidewater telephone company, part 5 (NX2 in Hague, VA)

CX-1000 all relay system in Benson, VT.

A couple more recordings showed up on Phone Trips this weekend:

Tidewater telephone company, part 5 (NX2 in Hague, VA)

CX-1000 all relay system in Benson, VT.

I already had an advance copy of the Hague, VA NX2 recording. Will check ou tthe CX-1000 one.

Thanks!