Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

How Secure are Proxys?

8 posts in this topic

I know the concept of proxy's and have used them before. I am wondering if there is any way to find out. If you do a trace route the packets are obviously going to go to the host but how can you tell someone is not spying on it,etc. I have seen programs which scan proxy's and can tell if they are dangerous. Yes I know about hamashi thats my next question

f you do a trace route the packets are obviously going to go to the host

If the destination host traceroutes the proxy's IP address, then the traceroute will end at the proxy

but how can you tell someone is not spying on it,etc.

You can't tell, and they probably are, especially if it's an "open" proxy found on a list somewhere on the internet.

I have seen programs which scan proxy's and can tell if they are dangerous.

Just because something's a proxy, doesn't mean it's an anonymous proxy.. These programs simply check to see if the proxy inserts the proxy user's IP address into the headers of its HTTP requests.

But a "closed proxy" would be a private one in a way?

But even if the it ends up at the proxy how do you know its not going through someone else who it shouldn't be going through

But a "closed proxy" would be a private one in a way?

But even if the it ends up at the proxy how do you know its not going through someone else who it shouldn't be going through

If you don't know who's running the proxy, and aren't absolutely certain it's run properly, don't use it for anything you wouldn't mind anyone seeing.

yeah treat proxies like free wifi, internet cafes, and office jobs. Assume that you just gave away all your passwords

Alternatively if you want to anonymise your traffic and ensure some level of privacy you could use TOR, there are plugins for Firefox and it's pretty easy to set up.

Check out http://tor.eff.org/

Alternatively if you want to anonymise your traffic and ensure some level of privacy you could use TOR, there are plugins for Firefox and it's pretty easy to set up.

Check out http://tor.eff.org/

Tor provides anonymity, but does not provide privacy. I would go so far as to say you should use Tor with the assumption that the exit nodes you're using are sniffing everything. There was a discussion on this a while back in this thread:

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?act...&pid=280986

Tor's great for anonymity, just beware of the above.