Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LazuliKnightXVI

Unlocking a Panasonic p900iv cloud black japanese cellphone

3 posts in this topic

I own a panasonic p900iv cloud black cell phone that i won off of ebay. When I read the buyer description, it did not specify about japanese sim cards and north american sim cards not being compatible in the same phone. After recieving the item I realized that my T-Mobile sim card was not compatible with the phone. It read the error "This UIM cannot be recognized". So I did some research into the situation and came to discover that recently AT&T and NTT Docomo began working together as shown @ --> http://www.nttdocomo.com/pr/2007/001353.html

So I consulted an AT&T sales rep at a local mall and discovered from him that their AT&T sim card wouldn't work on my phone either, I was puzzled. I decided to speak with a T-Mobile sales rep next. She told me that the phone was locked and needed to be unlocked in order to use it with a U.S. carrier.

I understand that AT&T and NTT Docomo are relatively the same service. So it is my guess that my japanese panasonic p900iv phone would work with an AT&T sim card much more compatibly than my T-Mobile sim card if I were to find a way to unlock the phone.

I guess what im getting at is, is there anyone who could point me in the right direction on how to unlock this phone? Or if its even possible to unlock for use in the United States?

As far as I know, there is no GSM service in Japan, so the phone is probably CDMA (AT&T is GSM in the US). As for using it with a CDMA carrier, you'll have a hard time considering that in Japan the transmit and recieved frequencies are switched.