Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bugs

remotely managing a site

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First off I know its probably the siliest question ever!!!

I am managing a new suite of network computers on a monday evening, I would like to be able to remotely manage the machines from my work place. The machines I wish to manage (3 of them) are on a NTL Broadband connection and are connected together via a Linksys Router, then to the NTL Cable Modem.

My works Internet is connected via a cisco router to a 2mb dedicated line, provided by the local authority. How would I set up remote control as the PC's have a LAN IP I.E. 192.168 and cannot be accessed over the net.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do???

Thanx

Install Hamachi on all the PCs and on your PC. Create a private network with a password and install some remote control software. Or use Windows Remote Desktop.

I don't know if the p2p nature of Hamachi will be able to keep the latency to your computers low enough for you to be able to connect remotely and get anything done without going nuts. You should use port forwarding on your router.

I use Hamachi all the time for Remote Desktop. I don't have any problems with it at all. Also, Hamachi is encrypted. It might be a good idea to have your Remote Desktop session encrypted when it's traveling across the Internet. If you just can't stand Hamachi, then setup a Site-to-Site VPN.

port forwarding on the router thats on cable. either to a vpn, ssh, rdp, or whatever services you need. If we're talking windows the easiest way would be to port forward to rdp then connect to the rest of the network from that one box. however there is a bit of security concerns there.

Use ssh2 for temporary access.

Use Ipsec VPN for long term.