Alaza

Top 5 of wifi cards for war driving.

24 posts in this topic

I've been searching for wifi cards for war driving, whether it's to run on Linux or Windows doesn't matter, 'cause I want to use both. I need one for my desktop which would be PCI, and I need one for my laptop, and I understand that's it not even worth looking at the USB ones?

That to me is weird since it seems that Iroongeek has no problem with Linksys' G-122 in his Backtrack video. But perhaps it's signal strength is lousy?

I would appreciate a top 5 or so, 'cause I'm living in a country who hasn't got all the cards for sale. :/

Chipset is what's the most important. I would suggest Atheros and Ralink (RT73).

I need one for my desktop which would be PCI, and I need one for my laptop,

you can buy one for two :

1. PCMCIA that you use with your laptop and PC by PCMCIA adapter on PCI.

2. USB which are very handy

if possible try to get a card with antenna connector

TP-LINK is a brand of good affordable both pcmcia and usb

but the badass card is "AWUS036S alfa usb card" 500mW which makes it wardriver one of best choices

I can't find any danish reseller who has anything from TP-Link I'm afraid. :/ But I was recommend this the Cisco CB21AG which should have an Atheros chipset? And that's available in Denmark, but it's ~$120, which is quite a bit for a WLAN card that's mostly going to be used for fun. :P

What would I be gaining with the Cisco CB21AG contra a D-Link G-122?

I can't find any danish reseller who has anything from TP-Link I'm afraid. :/ But I was recommend this the Cisco CB21AG which should have an Atheros chipset? And that's available in Denmark, but it's ~$120

so buy on Ebay, for instance RT73 USB card costs about 18 USD and pcmcia one 22 USD

brand new

Hi,

i've got 2 pcmcia cards (senao 200mW(prism 2.5 chipset) and a ubiquiti 300mW (atheros chipset))

with a good antenna they work perfectly.

Both you can find on ebay.

I've been hearing that the alfa usb card (500mW) does the job also.

I'm waiting to test that one.

Also take a look at m0untainrebel his site Wifi

Corleone

I have a Reliawave RWZ-370mW-WC which is a 370mW 802.11b wireless card with a Prism chipset and a Cardbus 802.11a/ b/g 300mW wireless card with a Atheros chipset. I also have a Alfa 500mW usb card which works under Linux out the box.

post-3403-1191506600_thumb.jpg

Edited by m3747r0n

Ralink is really nice.

yeah and wep spoofender is getting released today

Chipset is what's the most important. I would suggest Atheros and Ralink (RT73).
I need one for my desktop which would be PCI, and I need one for my laptop,

you can buy one for two :

1. PCMCIA that you use with your laptop and PC by PCMCIA adapter on PCI.

2. USB which are very handy

if possible try to get a card with antenna connector

TP-LINK is a brand of good affordable both pcmcia and usb

but the badass card is "AWUS036S alfa usb card" 500mW which makes it wardriver one of best choices

I couldn't find the card you're talking about AWUS036S alfa usb card" 500mW ... For me I need to us a usb since I have the new dell laptops with this stupid express bus slot...

I need one that will work under Vista and Fedora 7... Can't find a good one on ebay...

I've been looking around for the cards you're talking about, but almost every seller only ships to the states. :/ But doesn't any of the major firms like D-Link and Linksys make wlan cards that support monitor mode?

I've been looking around for the cards you're talking about, but almost every seller only ships to the states. :/ But doesn't any of the major firms like D-Link and Linksys make wlan cards that support monitor mode?

Try eBay, you can get most of the cards cheaply anywhere in the world.

What I needed was of course this list:

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=com...est_card_to_buy

It has got everything you would need for buying a new WLAN card. :) Now the choice is but before me between a couple of models:

Netgear WG511T 108mbps (Atheros)

DWL-G650 (Prism 2.5)

Or I could buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Senao-NL-2511-CD-PLUS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

$50 is affordable I guess for playing around in the neighborhood. ;)

What I needed was of course this list:

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=com...est_card_to_buy

It has got everything you would need for buying a new WLAN card. :) Now the choice is but before me between a couple of models:

Netgear WG511T 108mbps (Atheros)

DWL-G650 (Prism 2.5)

Or I could buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Senao-NL-2511-CD-PLUS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

$50 is affordable I guess for playing around in the neighborhood. ;)

This sucks that I have the new dells that only have usb and this dumb expresscard slot... I was thinking about buying this one from ebay. Can you guys tell me if this would be a good wifi card to have for vista and Fedora 7... Sorry for the dumb question just getting into wifi now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edimax-USB-54G-WiFi-Ki...oQQcmdZViewItem

I use a Senao 2511CD (200 mW PCMCIA card) for high-strength wardriving. They work with any/all laptops I have, being PCMCIA (as opposed to CardBus) and will work in HostAP mode. For general use, I have several Orinoco Gold PCMCIA cards (the Senao cards burn batteries pretty quickly).

Is there a difference between CardBus and PCMCIA? I actually thought they were the same since aircrack's guide doesn't have any PCMCIA.

And what's HostAP?

Is there a difference between CardBus and PCMCIA? I actually thought they were the same since aircrack's guide doesn't have any PCMCIA.

And what's HostAP?

CardBus is the (well, was, there's that PCI Express slot now...) newer laptop expansion standard; it is 32-bit. PCMCIA cards, which will work in CardBus slots, are older and 16-bit. Of course, newer 32-bit CardBus cards don't work in old 16-bit PCMCIA slots -- think of it as the difference between 8 and 16 bit ISA boards (if anyone remembers those...)

HostAP is a Linux driver/mode that allows you to use your wireless card as an access point. I found this to be useful, especially in the case of the Senao cards, because conventional access points don't have enough power to cover even half of our house, since the two halves are separated by a brick-and-cinderblock wall. DIY APs are fun!

Ah, nice, room for more confusion. How do you tell what slot you've got?

And what's HostAP?

CardBus is the (well, was, there's that PCI Express slot now...) newer laptop expansion standard; it is 32-bit. PCMCIA cards, which will work in CardBus slots, are older and 16-bit. Of course, newer 32-bit CardBus cards don't work in old 16-bit PCMCIA slots -- think of it as the difference between 8 and 16 bit ISA boards (if anyone remembers those...)

HostAP is a Linux driver/mode that allows you to use your wireless card as an access point. I found this to be useful, especially in the case of the Senao cards, because conventional access points don't have enough power to cover even half of our house, since the two halves are separated by a brick-and-cinderblock wall. DIY APs are fun!

I find the Ubiquiti Extreme Range 2 ( XR2 ) 2.4Ghz 600mw MINI-PCI cards with a RouterBOARD MiniPCI adapter are the best for making AP's, although doing it with a laptop can be useful when out and about.

Get.... the.... alfa.

The range is unreal. Requires two usb slots though.

Ah, nice, room for more confusion. How do you tell what slot you've got?

If your laptop is a Pentium II or higher, you almost certainly have CardBus slots. A lot of the Pentium Classic machines had CardBus slots too (for instance, my Toshiba Libretto does). Also, you can open up the device manager in Windows and find out.

The Ubiquiti Networks SRX Express Card 300mw 802.11 a/b/g card will be out soon so that will be a must buy for people with new laptops.

* 300mW 802.11b/g Power

* 80mW 802.11a Power

* -96dBm RX Sensitivity

* MMCX connector for external antennas

* Atheros 5006 chipset based

* 5dBi laptop antenna included

http://metrix.net/ubiquiti-networks-srx-ex...1-abg-p-90.html

I ordered the Senao on Ebay earlier today, but I suddenly realised "what if it doesn't support WPA/WPA2?". And it doesn't, it seems. I contacted the seller, but what more can I do? It's not much fun if it can only be used to inject on WEP protected WLANs.

A good pci card that works great with backtrack2 is "NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adaptor 32bit WG311T" ( Its got a Atheros chip).

Note: make sure it's the "T" as the one without the "T" is differant. The way i found a good card is to read the comments on Amazon, you can read between the lines, if its good for wardriving.

I looked at ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Senao-NL-2511CD-PLUS-EXT2-M-Wireless-PC-Card-w-antenna_W0QQitemZ110146556866QQihZ001QQcategoryZ40992QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

But what is the suggestion for the best card to get for war driving/packet sniffing?