Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phreakblaze

?Question?

11 posts in this topic

*-Warning-* Very Newb Question *-Warning-*

Well, I've fully installed Slackware and have been playing around with it, but I've run into a problem, I've tried to install a program, and after extracting, it said I had to use the "make install" command. I've tried to read on it and learn, but just can't get it. Any 1 help me?

cd to the dir where you extracted the files and type make install as root. thats it :)

but you might need to do ./configure and make before make install though

oh, ok! I've done the cd to the folder in root, but I was just woundering, Thanks for the help!

yeah, this is called a source installation and you can do this in any distro, not like rpms and whatnot...also, if you ever need to uninstall you can go into the source dir and make uninstall so, if you have the space, never delete your source dirs...you never know when you might need to uninstall...

yeah, this is called a source installation and you can do this in any distro, not like rpms and whatnot...also, if you ever need to uninstall you can go into the source dir and make uninstall so, if you have the space, never delete your source dirs...you never know when you might need to uninstall...

Of course that's if the author was nice enough to include and uninstall script.

there usually is one though...i mean, ive never had one tgz without an uninstall script...

By tgz do you mean some source you acquired or a slackware package?

...I'm just saying that even if there is an uninstall script you can't entirely trust it to delete everything and not fuck something up in the process.

I dont think I have ever really used the uninstall. I upgrade and whatnot so much that uninstalling is moot when a reformat normally occurs :)

I have to take this opportunity to pimp swaret, a package manager for slack that I have been very pleased with.

By tgz do you mean some source you acquired or a slackware package?

...I'm just saying that even if there is an uninstall script you can't entirely trust it to delete everything and not fuck something up in the process.

source package, i never use slackware packages...they never seem to work!

edit: oh yeah, dual, that thing kicks ass, ive been using it for some time now, i think it was included with 9.1 for the first time...