natas

Catenna

8 posts in this topic

i just got an orinoco card for my powerbook finally, so i can make external antennas and get good range now.... so i just wanted to know if anyone here has built theyre own cantenna or anything???

yeah i got one, quite easy to do. search on the net for directions. they are real fun to play with ;)

Me and a friend made one a while ago, only thing was that the card we were using didn't have an antenna jack so we had to hack it up to get it working.. also we didnt have a proper pigtail to connect the antenna to the card. So yea, it was a failed project.. the thing even made the signal drop when we put it on sometimes.

yeah i know they seem pretty easy riscphree, i just gotta order the right cable and connectors for the orinoco card. so how far away from the AP can you be with your cantenna?

Ive got a homemade pringles-variety cantenna that connects at ~50% signal strength to a friend about 1/2 mile away. I would think it would be possible to get an acceptable connection going from 2 miles or so if you have cantennas on both ends (unlike my situation).

YMMV, especially if you dont have line-of-sight with very few obstructions..

i heard the pringles ones suck cause theyre cardboard and not metal

The base of the container is metal.

I built one about a year ago and have had favorable results with my ibook. For instance, sitting in a parking lot across from a big corporate building receiving nothing with the built in antenna and a reliable signal with the, always lovely duct-taped monstrosity that is any project that i hobble together, pringles can.

The base of the container is metal.

I built one about a year ago and have had favorable results with my ibook. For instance, sitting in a parking lot across from a big corporate building receiving nothing with the built in antenna and a reliable signal with the, always lovely duct-taped monstrosity that is any project that i hobble together, pringles can.

The inside of the can is also lined with some kind of shiny conductive-metal-looking-thing ®, and is in contact with the bottom (if you're going to test it, make sure you scratch off the insulative coating on both the lining and bottom). Of course.. still sucks that the can is primarily cardboard, much less durable.

As far as performance is concerned, you can get much better results using different types of cans.. which AFAIK mostly depends on the dimensions of the can in relation to the physical wavelength size in the 2.4Ghz range.

This was on slashdot a while back.. there are some interesting results on the performance measurement page.