biosphear

Back Track 2

13 posts in this topic

Back Track 2 is freaking kick butt. I love it. I have been using if for about a week now and have found nothing really I did not like about it. :D I was just wondering what you guys think of it.

If you have never used it her is a link to download the live iso.

Back Track 2 :voteyes:

Back Track 2 is freaking kick butt. I love it. I have been using if for about a week now and have found nothing really I did not like about it. :D I was just wondering what you guys think of it.

If you have never used it her is a link to download the live iso.

Back Track 2 :voteyes:

Backtrack 2 is a useful 'hammer' in the toolkit for anyone who is an administrator / auditor / engineer. While the tools available with it have been carefully organized and selected, I have been talking to the developers regarding some interesting updates and additions. Like most of the cool projects however, they are busy with real life.

love it aswell, cant wait for the DVD to be released/finished mutts told me he was working on it, its currently chuging away on my PII sitting next to me, with 2 wifi cards that support injection, ones broadcasting mass fakeAP's and spamin the shit outa the airwaves the other is airodumping the area's WEP networks, sadly i couldnt get aireplay to work properly but still having fun its been up for hmm lemmie check <08:41:09 up 12 days, 12:03, 2 users, load average: 3.62, 3.89, 3.92> damn thats a high load avg, and thats just since i last rebooted it, was playing with dynebolic's 1.4 livecd with openmosix which was fun to play with but nopt very practical, didnt have gcc or mutch else and i dont think it had anyway of adding other software, that pissed me off so i stopped using it, what goods a cluster if u have nothing to run on it?

Edited by JimmyRidge

BackTrack2 has some issues with wireless card drivers i.e. what works in 1.0 won't in 2.0, which hopefully they will address in BackTrack3.

Problems with wireless drivers have pushed me away from using a Linux live CD, other than loading it to see what the desktop looks like. I certainly hope that BT3 comes along quickly and that the driver problems are resolved.

Why not just use a good well put together distro and install the tools yourself. Backtrack comes with so much shit and uses slax which in my opinion as a Slackware user is horribly put together.

Not sure if anyone else came across this one but hping doesn't seem to be on Backtrack2. it was there on Backtrack1 but not on 2.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Not sure if anyone else came across this one but hping doesn't seem to be on Backtrack2. it was there on Backtrack1 but not on 2.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes with WiFi cards, but I heard that they were coming out with an updated Kernel that fixes a lot of the problems. I just love it because it works with my Brodcom 4.3.xx card that I put in my laptop.

Does anyone have an addy for a good list of tutorials on how to use some of the tools? I have found them scattered across the net in bits and pieces. Mainly on IronGeeks website. (If you read this, thanks for all the great info!) I'm the IT department for a network that needs tested and proven security to keep the tards out. So all use for me is legitamate use. We already use the GFI languard scanner for security testing. So anything on top is new ideas to me.

My personal preference is BackTrack v1.0.

BackTrack2 has some issues with wireless card drivers i.e. what works in 1.0 won't in 2.0, which hopefully they will address in BackTrack3.

if you have any driver problems just download BT2 unofficial mod by LazyBoy, it is packed with latest Kernel & drivers

BTW : this is so sweet http://shamanvirtuel.googlepages.com/svaas , AIO automated attacks and nice GUI

if you need some tutorials on wireless pen testing check these forums

http://forum.tinyshell.be/

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I can’t stand live CD’s there way too slow and some of the tools are also out dated. Just install a distro and the install all the tools. There are a lot of good tools that aren’t on BackTrack2 which are worth having, T-BEAR being one of them.

yeah i have found backtrack one of my use full distro's cuz it has all my tools in one place =p!

and it works great when installed on a flash drive and hard drive too!

I like my VMware image of harddrive install of bt2 and freebsd with all the fix'ins may be slow but its sweet and idiot proof