I_Eat_Childrenz

Home Proxy Server

7 posts in this topic

Could anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction on how to set my home pc up as a proxy server and how i might be able to access it from a remote location?

I set myself up a squid caching proxy for my network, although I haven't set it up to be remotely accessible (no need for my purposes).

Quick question: What OS will you be running the proxy on?

If Linux, Squid is probably the best way to go. You can probably get it from your distro's package manager.

On Windows, I do not know. Perhaps someone else will be able to point you in the right direction to a suitable proxy server.

As for external access, just forward the port you choose through your router to the server, and it'll accessible outside. Be careful though, you don't want people freeloading off your proxy. You'll probably want to enable some sort of authentication on the proxy, to prevent that kind of thing. As I said, I'm not entirely sure of all the considerations that should be made for external access. I'm sure, again, someone here will be able to enlighten us both!

Im running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. I know how to port forward i just need the program to set up the proxy server on my computer.

Ok. So I downloaded it and im having a hard time. Im trying to make this so I can access blocked content say from...work or school. Not like I would be doing that anyways...I can do that with this program cant I?

If you're going to want to access blocked content from anywhere, I'd set up Apache with a CGI proxy. This would eliminate the need to change settings in whatever browser the location you're at -- which is good, because not only does it avoid accidentally leaving them there, but sometimes these settings are locked down.

A buddy and I had one running for a while while we were at military school. They got wise and had started blocking the most popular CGI proxies by page titles. We edited the CGI script(s) so the titles and page content didn't reflect that it was a proxy. Then we added a .htaccess file, to provide very basic access control (just to keep random people from using it and hogging bandwidth). It worked pretty well.

If you've never used a CGI proxy, check this out:

http://72.232.94.93/perl/nph-proxy.pl

There's tons of them already running on the Internet. I usually search Google for them, using the search phrase allinurl:"nph-proxy" since most of them use that name, and an extension of .cgi or .pl.

Ok. So I downloaded it and im having a hard time. Im trying to make this so I can access blocked content say from...work or school. Not like I would be doing that anyways...I can do that with this program cant I?

Yes you can do that with FreeProxy.

Incredibly easy program to setup, here I'll create a mini guide for you:

Open 'User' control

Click 'Users', click 'Add', fill in username+password+check enabled.

Click 'Groups', click 'Add', fill in groupname, click on [groupname], click Add', select username from above.

Click 'Done'.

Click 'add port' (or edit the default Internet port), choose the proxy type and port number (either Tunnel, HTTP or SOCKS).

(For SOCKS, not going to cover tunnel or http here):

Check 'Users must authenticate', 'Socks V5 only?', 'Allow incoming connections'.

Click 'Permissions', 'Socks 4/4a/5 Service', 'Granted', 'for this user group..' [groupname], 'user must authenticate'.

Click 'Done'.

Click 'Start/Stop', select either 'Local Account' or choose ''This account..' and type in a windows username/password.

Click 'Start', Click 'OK' (ignore the console option)

Click 'File', Click 'Save'.

You can set up calendars, banlists, permitted urls/uris, RAS, active directory integration, logging, and a whole host of other things but that is beyond this mini-guide.

If you just want to access some blocked websites then nph or phproxy are easier to use and don't require you configuring browser network settings.

A good socks proxy is always handy to have though, FreeProxy is a good one to learn with before moving on to ssh-tunnels.