Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I_Eat_Childrenz

Virus Protection Blocking?

6 posts in this topic

Alright...so my mothers computer has been acting up a lot lately, it has slowed down quite a bit in a short period of time. And were talking about the lady who downloads next to nothing. And she has also noticed that in the last month, her virus protection has had NO updates. Not one. Is there something I should be looking for? Maybe some kind of virus she isnt detecting? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

B

Alright...so my mothers computer has been acting up a lot lately, it has slowed down quite a bit in a short period of time. And were talking about the lady who downloads next to nothing. And she has also noticed that in the last month, her virus protection has had NO updates. Not one. Is there something I should be looking for? Maybe some kind of virus she isnt detecting? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

B

First off are you behind a router? Other thing also too is there any kind of p2p software loaded on her computer? Have you tried to run an update on the virus software plus what virus software are you using?

One more how do you know that her machine is being attacked? Do you have some kind of firewall?

We have Norton Anti Virus, and we tried downloading the virus definitions but everyday, nothing. Its not the firewall and there isn't any p2p software either. It just sounded to me like there is some program that is blocking virus updates...maybe for its own good?

* remove all security software

* boot safe mode with networking support anf goto http://rmccurdy.com/panda.html

* create a admin account with a password

* turn the current account into a limited user http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...he_limited.html

* start >run "control userpasswords2" then select the limited account and have it auto loginto that account by default

now no need for gay ass M$ security software

Since I posted this in nubie HQ. Im going to ask what exactly that does...

By default, windows users are admin (root) instead of the other way around. About 99% of people never change this (or even think about it) and proceed to rock around the Interweb running with full privileges. By only using a privileged account for administrative tasks you can (hopefully) help mitigate any damage malicious code might try to cause (and limit it to your account instead of the whole machine). Unfortunately, this is not always successful (as there are ways to escalate the rights of a non-privileged account) and can also be a tremendous pain in the ass (when installing and configuring software), but many would argue it is a worthwhile effort as it creates one more line of defense.

The link on operator's site looks like one of those web based a/v scans--the reason you might want to try this from safe mode (with network support, of course) is that in some circumstances (that is, if safe mode's working like it was intended), you'll be running off of a backup set of files and some kinds of malware will not be running. This is important because some types of malware seek to actively defend themselves.

-cid