Mizugori

what to do with an old server? 2x p3 600mhz, 1.5gb ram, etc...

9 posts in this topic

i have an old server that i frankly don't know what i ought to do with. what could i use it for-it has 2 p3 600mhz cpus in it, 1.5gb of sdram, and 6 9gb 10k scsci drives... also it has 2 lan ports and a cdrom of course.

thanks!!

You call that "old", It's faster then some of my workstations.. and my servers :P.. I could think of a billion uses..

Give it to me or livinded 8)

Thats faster then the majority of workstations I own as well. I would use it... as a server.

ok but... can i get some specific suggestions lol? like exactly what things could it do for me, and how to set it up to do them?

thanks!!

See this thread where this topic has been discussed (recently, too!) ... Just because your machine is different spec, we don't need another thread! ;)

frankly, i feel that my server is in an entirely different performance class, and thus could be used to do a lot more. so yeah i think it warrants a new thread.

frankly, i feel that my server is in an entirely different performance class, and thus could be used to do a lot more. so yeah i think it warrants a new thread.

Frankly, most of us don't have the spare time to explain things twice. That thread has some excellent ideas on what to do with old computers... Router/Firewall, Learn Linux, Home Server... <_<