Apoc

Problems Downloading on Campus Network

23 posts in this topic

Alright so I've been playing it pretty safe while on the schools network and I've only downloaded a few movies here and there over BT and ONLY with a private tracker. I was running uTorrent and I had encryption enabled. For the first week of school my speeds were really fast and I'd push almost 700kb/s most of the time. As soon as the file finished downloading I would delete the torrent and stop seeding. Like I said, this worked for the first week. Then, my speeds slowed WAYYY down. Now I'm happy to get 2kb/s out of each torrent and maybe a max of 10kb/s total. My browsing speeds seem to have slowed down quite a bit as well. Page load times are around 10 secs on average, maybe higher. If I unplug the cable and plug back in speeds jump for a little bit and then go back to their previous limitations.

I did some speed tests before the slowdown and now after the slowdown and they come out around the same give or take. My computer is registered on the network and I'm pretty sure the MAC is associated. when I first launch a browser it takes me to a page where I've got to enter my campus username and password and agree to terms.

My question is, how can I find out for sure if they are limiting my download speeds in some way. And, is there anything I can do to get my D/L speeds back? I cannot live with downloading a 60mb torrent in 2 days due to slow speeds when I'm supposed to have a 5mb down and 3mb up connection at my disposal. I was told that they watch the network but I didn't think it would be this closely...especially the first week of school.

Thanks for the help in advance and I'm sorry if this comes across as n00b but it's very frustrating and I've tried all the things I could think of to figure it out.

EDIT: Using RapGet, I've got 3 simultaneous downloads all going at around 100 kb/s. Right now browsing seems to have sped up as well. But I'm here to bet as soon as I bring up uTorrent, it kills all that. Do you guys think using a different client would help?

Edited by Apoc

You are gonna have a problem ... You cannot forward ports on the network at the college ... and if your account HAS been flagged, you would be a fool to keep running those programs as they will be logged everytime you sign in with your username and password. Take it from someone who had the Network Admin of a University tell him, YOU can get expelled, and you WILL get your permissions removed ... He gave me a chance. and I took it, and walked away ...

That's why I want to maybe run some diagnostics and some logging programs of my own to figure out if they are doing something to the connection or if there are just that many people online. I realize it can be a sticky situation but no one seems to know much about this issue around here...

Can I ask what University you attended?

What kind of diagnostics are you going to run? This is all logging built into their routers/switches most likely.

You will most likely like to look at thier Terms ... I am sure there is a section in there about Abuse of the Network, can get you in deep trouble. I would keep the BT stuff for home ...

That's why I want to maybe run some diagnostics and some logging programs of my own to figure out if they are doing something to the connection or if there are just that many people online. I realize it can be a sticky situation but no one seems to know much about this issue around here...

Can I ask what University you attended?

My question to you would be is it really worth getting in trouble and or expelled for such a pointless thing?

The university I attend monitors uploads on a per-room basis (they probably monitor them for the wireless, too, since we have to sign in to that). If you cross a 650 MB/day upload limit, they switch your (and your roommate's) connection down to 56k for 24 hours. After that, it goes back up to normal speeds. You also get an automated warning stating that you exceeded this limit and that if it happens again in 24 hours, you'll have a problem with the admins.

You're on their network, therefore, you have to play by their rules. If someone's giving you a 5 Mb up / 3 Mb down connection, you probably shouldn't bitch about not being able to pirate stuff with it. Bottom line is, if you run torrents all the time, in your dorm room, there's a pretty good chance you'll get caught eventually. That will be a Bad Thing for you.

ok, fair enough BT doesn't work even if you encrypt the port and keep a private tracker. So, is there any way to remotely DL BT files on my home computer and then just download them from the home computer later at my leisure?

>> You cannot forward ports on the network at the college

Yeah so what should one do instead?

Like, so aim file transfer doesn't work, and other casual filke sharing apps. I have a thing in the liscense that says no computer can be used as a server, but wtf. I can give some network details if the answer is not opbvious.

ok, fair enough BT doesn't work even if you encrypt the port and keep a private tracker. So, is there any way to remotely DL BT files on my home computer and then just download them from the home computer later at my leisure?

Yes, there are many different ways you could go about doing that (SSH, FTP, etc)

but, they're still going to see huge amounts of bandwidth being used to download.

I'm sure their TOS would consider this network abuse (regardless of the source of the traffic)

Its not them limiting your speed, utorrent slows your internet...use bittorrent instead, same dload speed and it doesnt slow you connection.

Its not them limiting your speed, utorrent slows your internet...use bittorrent instead, same dload speed and it doesnt slow you connection.

You are trying to say ╬╝torrent is slower than the official client? any evidence of this? Sounds like a possible problem with your configuration.

I have used nearly all Clients ... Utorrent is by farthe fastest of all the clients I have used. Well I do guess you are correct, in a way ... It does dlow your internet down, as you will be using Bandwidth to complete the download, so you are using Both up and down ... But other then that I would also like to see proof that The Official BT Client is better then Utorrent ... And on that note, anyone here used Utorrent 1.7.4 yet? I have not seen any nasty posts about it sending the CIA to your door yet, so I guess that is good ..

Also:

He is on a University Connection, he cannot Forward his ports, and he is at the mercy of the system admin as he is a student, and is logged in under his name and or Student ID... Last time I looked downloading movies from a univesity was still Piracy, and can land you in jail, and ruin your life at school.

The best thing you can do is to do all your downloading from home, because then atleast you are on your own connection, and can forward to ports you want opened, and can regulate your network as you want...

My school limits bandwidth to 7 gb/week. If you exceed this, the computer system automatically drops your connection to incredibly slow speeds. They track everyone's bandwidth and activity because you have to register on the network with a "netid", which is tracked back to your MAC. So if we encrypt torrents we can download fine, but it goes toward the bandwidth limit, along with other dl's, browsing, etc.

My advice to you would be to find or set up your own dc++ hub on campus. We have a massive one and the student who admins it restricts it only to university IP's. The best part is, since it's all internal traffic, it doesn't count toward the bandwidth limit. Also, it's really hard for the school to shut down a dc++ hub if they don't know the hub address. I worked for the IT department last semester and talked to a few people. Apparently if they find out, all they do is tell the admin of the hub to take it down.

I have no evidence other than personal expirience, if utorrent works good for you guys kl.

I get the same speeds with bittorent as i do with utorrent, the only difference it that utorrent slows my internet alot, thats why i dont bother usin it anymore.

I think im gonna try the new uttorrent and foward ports and see if its any good.

My school limits bandwidth to 7 gb/week. If you exceed this, the computer system automatically drops your connection to incredibly slow speeds. They track everyone's bandwidth and activity because you have to register on the network with a "netid", which is tracked back to your MAC. So if we encrypt torrents we can download fine, but it goes toward the bandwidth limit, along with other dl's, browsing, etc.

My advice to you would be to find or set up your own dc++ hub on campus. We have a massive one and the student who admins it restricts it only to university IP's. The best part is, since it's all internal traffic, it doesn't count toward the bandwidth limit. Also, it's really hard for the school to shut down a dc++ hub if they don't know the hub address. I worked for the IT department last semester and talked to a few people. Apparently if they find out, all they do is tell the admin of the hub to take it down.

So is it worth the chance of getting suspended, or kicked out of school, or even arrested, just to download from school? I get speeds of 500 + down at home, but that is on my own connection. Even if you find a way to install and or alter programs or security at the Campus, and the Admin does find out, your hit. It is not worth the hassle to download movies at school. I mean damn, what do you attend classes for?

What I was saying is that dc++ is local and strictly regulated to only allow ip's on the university network. It cannot be seen or accessed from outside the network - there is no outside source being contacted so there is no way of getting sued. Just 20 mbps downloads over the school's lan! :)

What I was saying is that dc++ is local and strictly regulated to only allow ip's on the university network. It cannot be seen or accessed from outside the network - there is no outside source being contacted so there is no way of getting sued. Just 20 mbps downloads over the school's lan! :)

So you are telling me there is NO way at all the School will notice this on thier own network? I am pretty sure If a System Admin is on his job, he will see this. There are ways around it, but I know here at the University, they allow downloads, but restrict installing programs on the computers. They also use a system similar to Deep Freeze to ghost the computer back to square 1 when the user logs off.

Now to me using my Student Login and Password to download movies to a University Machine is crazy. They I am sure will have him flagged already, and will watch his activities upon login of his Username. I would just stick to my home connection to do anything in the way of filesharing. I know when I did it, the System Admin took over my machine, dropped the programs, and reset my computer. I already knew I was caught. He gave me the 1 chance I needed, and warned me about such activities, and that I could lose all my computer use privilages, and could be suspended or expelled from the University.

Even if they allow you 7 GB a week of downloading, I am sure they have systems in play to monitor and detect users that are abusing thier systems and rules. I don't think it wise to do such activities on those computers, when you have so much invested, and alot more to lose.

Oh, I was referring to students' personal computers that they use in the dorms. The real hub's address (just the student host's ip) is disguised by a service like "no-ip.org". Then everyone on campus just downloads locally, meaning very high speeds and excellent security. The University only really cares about copyrights when they get a letter from an outside source saying that someone with a university ip (a student) is downloading on a service like torrents or limewire. The university then acts accordingly. But on dc++, there is no way for the outside world to see into the file trading of the students. It is strictly lan.

I'm sure they can see that there is a lot of internal network traffic, but they only really worry about external bandwidth and external downloads. I'm no expert in network security, but I do know that students have been doing this for around 3 years here with no problems.

I'd love to setup a DC++ I just have a hard time finding other students that have enough stuff to make it worthwhile to setup. I have no idea how to find people that are already on a hub either. There's plenty of people that would like to join it and download the music that I have but I'd like to get some stuff in return...

I would definitely recommend looking into how it works/how to host your own. I think some common clients for hosting are ptoka x and ynhub. Most of this stuff gets started by a few people and then grows, so you could start something up.

Again, before doing something like this, you need to check with your school's policies on network use/abuse (your ethical code may make mention of intellectual property as well). Even when strictly internal to the school network, things like DC++ servers can become victims of their own popularity, and as the host, you'd be the one to take the fall. Network admins are typically bright enough to notice this sort of activity as well (and even if they're not, it's not an assumption that's safe to make).

It's really not worth getting kicked off the campus network (or possibly expelled) over piracy.

just scan your network for open samba shares. when i was in college that was a a gold mine.