Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SUB-S0NIX

PLA CHINESE CYBER WAR!

17 posts in this topic

I am not sure if any one has posted an article relating to the recent attack against the pentagon. Supposedly Chinese hackers breached a mail server and gained access to some top notch officials system and there have been a bunch of other attacks against Britain and Germany. The Peoples Liberation Army, aka the PLA ( How Ironic... lol) have been accused of having a army of hackers. I remember someone mentioning this a while back. Why don't we have an army for hackers and what are your guys take on the situation? Supposedly our one and only G. W. Bush met up with some official from China the other day and neglected to talk about the cyber attacks and some huge conference.

Article:http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2198222/chinese-hacking-row-widens

Our relationship with China is a very complex one. A huge chunk of our industrial sector is imported from China. This gives them a significant leverage over our goods and also our money, as the flow creates a backasswards triangle.

Our relationship with China is a very complex one. A huge chunk of our industrial sector is imported from China. This gives them a significant leverage over our goods and also our money, as the flow creates a backasswards triangle.

We hate each other, but we need them, and they need us.

The US depends on China 10x more because of consumerism.

Notice how everything is "Made from China"? Since we can't export enough to pay for what we import, China gets a ridiculous amount of US currency.

They could buy out the entire United States if they wished. But that would mean a massive cut in money for the Chinese.

Who is this 'we' you speak of?

Also, it's rather interesting that the blame is placed on the Chinese PLA, though tough to form an opinion on what the real situation is without any evidence being presented, but that is the way of government. It really makes me wonder if these so-called victims are basing this claim on the source address(es) of the attacks. Which doesn't count for much in any instance, especially considering that many chinese networks are notoriously insecure.

And if they did really have 'an army of hackers', wouldn't they be the first to make the attacks appear to be from elsewhere?

Something to consider is that there're many oppressed minority groups whose homelands are now part of China, some of whom would surely love to try to put the "Peoples' Liberation Army" (as well as the government) in compromising situations.

The US does not have network attack capability. That's the official story. With the way the media treats "hackers" and all the ignorance out there, why should the US publicize any cyberwarefare capability? I can hear the funding cuts now...

"The only conspiracy is the official story" ~The Mind War... Go Listen to it! ( http://umap.binrev.com/archives/the_mind_war/ )

I have no doubt ex-hackers are on the government payroll for espionage purposes.

Edited by n3xg3n

Here's an article about it from the globe and mail here

I'd say we should stay cautious before making any affirmations. There's a lot of speculation involved in here, you cannot be sure these attacks are really coming from China and even less sure they are coming from the PLA.

However, I do understand we cannot ignore the hints given, and that it really seem to be perpetrated by the PLA. Germany has also been targeted by these attacks, at strategic times.

Edited by Aghaster

Why don't we have an army for hackers

I'm sure we do.

We are! lol jk

Actually, I was just reading PCWorld, and I came across an article saying that the US Air Force has a group of people trained for cyber warfare.

Actually, I was just reading PCWorld, and I came across an article saying that the US Air Force has a group of people trained for cyber warfare.

Air Force? Thats interesting, wonder why the Air Force would have such a group.

thats actually what the air force does, and yes they do publicize things like that.

The mission of the United States Air Force is to deliver sovereign options for the defense of the United States of America and its global interests -- to fly and fight in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.

http://www.af.mil/main/welcome.asp

Air Force? Thats interesting, wonder why the Air Force would have such a group.

Because it's well known that if a computer geek joins the forces, he will join the Air Force. What is cooler than controlling an un-manned aircraft and blowing shit up with it?

And if the government is counting on US to do anything about these attacks, they really need to get their heads out of their asses. :P

Hmm so the Air Force would be the force to join if one wanted to sign their soul over to the government.

Oh, we have the capability. Every branch oversees seperate cyberwarfare operations, and it will be coordinated through USAF after budget appropiations in 2009. For now, while we have capable people, and quasi-cooperation, things aren't seamless, and certainly aren't run by a single entity. Everyone has their own units right now.

I go surfing at Second Light (the 2nd stop light it front of the PAFB housing) a couple times a week, and probably with a few of these guys:

http://www.aftac.gov/ is at

http://www.8af.acc.af.mil/units/67nww/index.asp

Then there are the other branches:

Navy NETWARCOM, Army 1st IOC working with 4th PSYOP, and the family fuck up, Marines MCNOSC (the network was famous for deploying and being all around fail. Many laughs were had)

Some reort to NIOIC, all report to NSA CSS, all report to SOCOM ... you can see the problem. Things can be more effective, and this doesn't even take into account things I don't know about like NSA red cell teams and other non public info.