Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vangald

Audio Dissection?

3 posts in this topic

I don't know what the technical term for this, but does anyone have any experience doing this or know of any links that talk about this?

I have been wondering about this for a while and have been wanting to play with it.

I don't know what the technical term for this, but does anyone have any experience doing this or know of any links that talk about this?

I have been wondering about this for a while and have been wanting to play with it.

I remember reading about a 'shotgun' mic. It was composed of several pieces of tubing all in parallel with different lengths. From 1inch to 36 inchs... they were arranged around some kind of collector/funnel with a mic in the back of it. Susposidly you could 'plug' off various tubes to eliminate unwanted audio-ranges/ freq's...

It all fed in to some hi-gain amp... could modify a store-bought parabolic amp to work with this configuration...

Anyways.. that's the old school analog way of doing stuff...

or build a laser mic and bounce it off of an ashtray, pictureframe, tv, something shiny & close to the conversation...

If there were some constants you could rule out of the equation--known information, like maybe a song or known repetitive noise in the background--wouldn't it be possible to use destructive interference to filter out certain parts? Like how active noise canceling headphones work. Although, this would be dependent on knowing some relevant constants in the first place.

Possible known constants: generator/compressor/fan noises, music, other known audio streams (tv/radio show), etc. Another problem you might run into with this sort of angle would be limits on the purity/accuracy of your data based on sampling rates/compression rates/etc. A thought, though.