TrippinX

MultiBoot Laptop with GRUB

10 posts in this topic

I am making a disaster laptop... yep.

I am planning on putting a total of 5 operating systems on this new laptop of mine, Windows XP Pro as primary and after that we have 3 Linux distros and to finish it up... Mac OS X.

I have thought about this a lot and I think I may have finally figured it all out:

Each OS is given its own individual partition. There is also a SWAP partition and a partition with windows apps and media/document files.

Windows.............5 GB - also has room for the hiberfil.sys and also future service packs.

Distro1...............2.5 GB

Distro2...............10 GB

Distro3...............10 GB

Mac OS X...........10 GB

SWAP..................2 GB - I was actually going for 4 GB since thats the double of my physical memory, was told not to. (INPUT PLZ)

SHARED.............whatever is left - Using NTFS-3G I am able to share all my media on this NTFS formatted partition between the OS'.

I wish to use either GRUB Legacy or GNU GRUB for this, most tutorials I have read were for the old Legacy.. perhaps someone here could guide me a bit.

I would like to know whether or not I should create the different partitions before installing a bootloader or not.

I would like to do the installation on either a cd/dvd or more preferably my usb pen drive, (saw a tutorial for that too) laptops generally don't come with floppy drives :blush:

Please just give me all the advice you can, and no jokes about me needing a virtual machine instead :roll:

Having 2 gigs of swap is a waste, and with distros and operating systems on a partitions that small this is going to be fairly useless.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but is it not only possible to have three primary partitions on any single hard drive?

You'd need a logical partition somewhere.

Maybe if you had a 250GB HD that might be doable but it really seems like you'd be short of space with ONE os on your drive. My 160Gig drive on my laptop feels cramped with OS X and Windoze..

I have a 160 GB drive... and all the windows apps are stored on the shared partition so that they can be emulated through WINE.

I know that each partition doesn't really have that much of space, for example the 2.5 GB partition is more than sufficient, since all the apps needed are already there.. (including space for updates!)

Perhaps I'll put a few gigs extra on the mac os x partiton, but really... I thought this part through as I mentioned.

How big should I make the SWAP partition? and how do you recommend me in doing this?

Thx for the quick responses :lol:

I wouldn't go larger than a gig for swap, you are unlikely ever going to need even close to that much.

Why not use one operating system and virtualize the rest? Virtualization is really simple (WinXP + virtualbox = easy++). I'm setting up NetBSD+xen on my laptop so I can run Linux and WinXP Pro.

Why not use one operating system and virtualize the rest? Virtualization is really simple (WinXP + virtualbox = easy++). I'm setting up NetBSD+xen on my laptop so I can run Linux and WinXP Pro.

Well... by having things run natively I am going to be utilizing my machine's power to its fullest. Furthermore OS X is not yet supported by VIrtualBox... although I admit it is a nice piece of GPL software.

------------

I am going to try my best with GRUB on my new laptop, Hopefully I will get good results after a couple of trials.

I'll use a 1 Gig swap partition :D

Doesn't anyone in here know just the basic stuff about using GRUB as a bootloader?

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structPartitions-c.html <-- I really just need some help on how I should partition my disk (I am going to have a total of 7 partitions as mentioned,)

EDIT: http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/ This was also pretty good reading material, but what about using GRUB?

Thank you all for the help I have been given so far.

Edited by TrippinX

Like I said, this is going to be a fairly useless system since there really isn't much room for anything on the partitions. Do whatever you want but you'll realize soon that it was a bad idea when you run out of room and need it.

Like I said, this is going to be a fairly useless system since there really isn't much room for anything on the partitions. Do whatever you want but you'll realize soon that it was a bad idea when you run out of room and need it.

Along those lines.. Whats the point of running all these Operating Systems, if you can't run a few of them concurrently to play with various things such as networking and the like.