bigggj

PS2 Linux

11 posts in this topic

i am going to buy a PS2 Linux cd soon. I was just wondering, when u install everything, will i be able to play my ps2 games or will it just be an os running off my system?

to quote the PS2 Linux FAQ:

Can I play PlayStation 2 Games under Linux (for PlayStation 2) ?

No. You can still play PlayStation 2 Games by shutting down Linux, inserting the game disc and pressing reset, but you cannot start a commercial game playing from within Linux.

how would you shut down linux? just like take the cd out or suspend it from the hdd? i dont know much about this so yeaaa....

how would you shut down linux? just like take the cd out or suspend it from the hdd? i dont know much about this so yeaaa....

I don't use PS2 Linux, but I'd assume you'd just reboot the PS2.

You shut it down using the shutdown command like normal. PS2 Linux isn't a live cd it installs to the hard drive. The first disc is used for booting the system but the actual install is on the hd.

Also if your installing Linux to use seriously and not just to play around with I suggest you don't use the official Linux disto by Sony. BlackRhino (debian based) is a lot better. However you still need the first disc from the official distro to boot it.

Edited by angelfly

O yea, its not about the Linux thing... ...but I was interested in getting that thing to go online with ur PS2, its called somethin like EGBrowser BB. Its only available in Japan, but wondering if i can pay shipping off some site to get it.. any links?

Torrent sites and similar probably have it if you where to search.

PS2 Linux is installed on the hard drive that is also installed or used with the network expansion card. I believe the first CD is used to install and the second one is used to boot when you want to run linux, I believe?

You could download PS2 Linux and load the OS if you have a modded ps2. It doesn't have to be hardware modded, it could be soft modded with a memory card. Look up Independence Day Exploit for the ps2. Once you get that on a memory card you can run a whole bunch of homebrew apps and applications such as the infamous HDLoader which allows you to backup games and such. Some sites to check out would be exploitstation.com and afterdawn.com's forums for info.

Shouldn't this topic be in the *Nix section of the forum?