KnowShtuff

Urgent. XP Desktop Freeze! Plz Help.

100 posts in this topic

Apologize for the length. Please skim it, or read it in full, to find what may help you help me. Since my computer runs my business, and I have a big deadline I am supposed to meet this weekend, my life depends on it. Thanks in advance.

Since this is my first post, I will briefly introduce myself and reasons for being on this forum; as follows:

When I first learned of Binrev a little while back, I imagined occasionally participating in attempt to learn all of the intricate applications, configurations and protocols etc that I could in order to do a bunch of nerd-cool things with with my computers. Recently, I had started learning more about some dos commands, Tor, Privoxy, MAC addresses and things of the like and was satisfied with my slow but sure progress to understanding all things nerdery. However, I have just had a humbling reality check that says I need to Know a lot more Shtuff (sh!t), hence the username, because I am faced with some seemingly basic challenges with XP that I just can't handle on my own. Please help.

Basic computer info besides XP:

About 4 years old.

HP.

2.53 GHz P4.

512 MB DDR SDRAM.

80 GB Ultra DMA HD.

64 MB DD SDRAM Intel Extreme Graphics.

CD-RW 40X10X40X.

DVD 16 max.

Task Manager Performance says:

Total Memory: 515568

Available: varies, of course, but usually at 19xxxx or higher and currently at about 193xxx or 194xxx

I have been doing some purging of old media files lately, and deleted a lot of unnecessary pics and vids easily in excees of a couple gigs.

Problem Description:

I use my computer for a lot of business, so my life really depends on it. I have some very urgent business pending, and it's looking like this issue with my Windows XP Desktop easily freezing is almost a total roadblock that could cost me a lot of money that I need since I am running near broke. Yes, Windows XP, or maybe moreso the desktop functions portion - if that could be considered any different, completely frezes, seemingly more easily as I try to figure out why. The mouse does not freeze in the process. I can still cue up the task manager with ctrl alt delete and log off and log back on to windows to unfreeze it, but this has only been a very temporary fix and I am having to do it more and more frequently. This just started happening within the last 3 days if that. It has been a big problem today, causing me to need to log in and out of windows maybe 5 times in the last 20 minutes, (which is not only a problem with continuity of work, but since this could happen in the middle of writing an important document and or recording or editing important media files that are not able to be saved due to the freeze) apparently due to my use of more hard drive installed multimedia functions thus leading me to wonder if this is a disk space/memory etc issue.

Some scenarios that cause my desktop to freeze:

1. Running media applications, like Gold Wave (google it), and maybe even Windows Media Player, while playing a media file, while trying to access the task bar.

2. Running media applications, like Gold Wave (google it), and maybe even Windows Media Player, while playing a media file, while trying to control the computer volume with volume buttons on my keyboard which usually cause green volume indication bars to run accross the bottom of my screen along the task bar. The volume bars may or may not function properly for a short time and then eventually fthe graphics freeze on the screen, the volume is no longer adjusting, and the task bar (on that "hide away setting" OR while visible) is not accessible. Sometimes the bars stay frozen on the screen in their full capacity and sometimes they kind of collapse with the collapsable task bar but small portions of the green bars can still be seen against small portions of the blue task bar as if they both did not completely collapse/"hide away". Then the application is often minimizable or closeable and may or may not freeze the graphics on the screen. Sometimes a desktop folder or two can be higlighted before the highlight freezes on one folder and the whole desktop is completely frozen except for the mouse. So far, I do not recall ever being able to open another folder from the desktop at this point. However, I can use ctrl alt delete to maximize the applications that are still running, like Gold Wave, and Gold Wave will still have full functionality. Tabbing to try to access the task bar/start button does not work. Mouse moves freely but nothing responds unless it is in the task manager window and sometime when trying to close the task manager window the graphics may or may not freeze on the desktop even though the manager is closed and I can open it with full functions again by ctrl alt delete.

3. Tried to do a few tasks at once on my computer as always, in this case just viewing the "My Computer" window, closing it quickly, viewing the Windows Media Player without playing a file and closing it quickly, and then immediately trying to open a media folder stored on my desktop while I still heard the hard drive doing a little work to close the other windows/apps.

*However, simply using the internet and accessesing notepad and minimizing multiple browser windows and notepad files along the task bar is no problem so far. There may be other scenarios that cause freezing.

I really need to use Gold Wave, as I have over a hundred times in the past, for recording business calls and preparing audio presentations etc. Adjusting volume during recording and playback is absolutely essential. But, in the bigger scope, since this is not the only cause of the freezing and it seems to be more and more common for basic tasks .... I'm also really concerned of not being able to use my computer for even the most basic things.

Edited by KnowShtuff

Sounds like you might need to reinstall windows xp. If you have never had to reinstall it you can find some guides online I'm sure.

Edited by 4b50lut3 1337

Its to many possibilities the best thing I guess if its a huge rush is put it on a usb stick and have it there for now or do a hard drive recovery if you can not access anything. Irongeek.com has some vids check them out

-Sorry thats the best I can say not much else to many situations

Sounds like you might need to reinstall windows xp. Ever had to do that before?

No, have not had to. No idea how involved and time consuming it is, nor what the consequences are.

Please explain those two basic unknowns for starters.

Is there any other possibility to rectify? Maybe some sort of registry purge or some sort of memory issue or something?

Its to many possibilities the best thing I guess if its a huge rush is put it on a usb stick and have it there for now or do a hard drive recovery if you can not access anything. Irongeek.com has some vids check them out

No usb stick available and tight on money. Irongeek .com is how I found this forum. I seem to be able to access everything. The desktop is simply freezing when doing certain multitasking and this is completely rectified by logging out and back in to windows but it happens again in those aforementioned scenarios. But, for right now I have multiple browser windows and notepads and documents open and everything is fine and I'll bet I could access everything on my HD as usual. I thought this might be a symptom of memory issues that might be rectified with some sort of registry editing/data purging/process ending etc memory helping tactics?

-Sorry thats the best I can say not much else to many situations

I'd really appreciate it if you gave an outline of all the possible problems and solutions you can think of before I consider taking you up on your PM offer for IM troubleshooting.

Thanks very much for replies.

Edited by KnowShtuff

If your business depends on it, take it to a computer repair shop. Explain the situation, and arrange payment terms. You'll probably be better off, since you don't sound terribly comfortable with the prospect of loosing all your data etc. Seriously, think about it!

i had this problem,was freezing because loads of unnecisary programs swallowing RAM,u tried ending task on programs u dont need?then deleting programs u dont need?i installed xp with help via this site as 2 many programs kept freezing me,this probably dont help but its worth a try,u have nothing to lose

What sort of project for work is it? If its word processing, audio recording, presentation creating, or anything that can be done in Linux, burn a Linux LiveCD and do your work in there and use your email to store stuff. Then once your business stuff is taken care of, address the problem directly (Who knows, if you can do everything in Linux, you might make the switch permanent)

Edited by n3xg3n

If your business depends on it, take it to a computer repair shop. Explain the situation, and arrange payment terms. You'll probably be better off, since you don't sound terribly comfortable with the prospect of loosing all your data etc. Seriously, think about it!

I'm a technically competent guy and have always excellened in critical thinking academics be it math, science or actual classes based on using critical thinking to solve complex solutions ... and also manual labor involving various types on construction or engineering. I typically score high on IQ tests. Relative to computers, I am a self taught car mechanic that can fix most problems faster and better than any local shop for less money with half the resources. That took time for me to teach myself with the help of online friends. I could do the same with a computer. Not a narcissist, but want to make it clear that I'm quite capable. I usually prefer to be independent. Though I could exploit sources that would provide a more comfortable computer consulting budget to take your advice, this would require me to be too codependent for my liking at this time. I have had a lot of my own money earmarked and invested in pending business, hence being near broke. Furthermore, I do have friends and family in the IT business that could probably help, but I do not want to bother with them for various reasons ranging from privacy to codependency and some others. I would feel more comfortable with those friends and family than taking it to a local "computer repair shop" for privacy and trust issues. Lastly, I have had multiple experiences with myself, friends and family when a car mechanic has totally screwed something up, overcharged or caused some completely unnecessary,time consuming, money consuming, hassle crazy BS when I paid them to get dirty and spend time on something that I could have done without all that BS if I just did it myself. I am now more comfortable with letting mechanics do work I am capable of again only because I know how to pick a good mechanic and I know exactly what needs to be done and how it needs to be done before I ask for service and I let them know so they are less likely to cause any BS .... and I'm not at that stage with computers yet.

I do not yet determine a need to think that my situation is as dooming as some might lead me to believe. It seems to me that I have a situation more like hayton describes:

i had this problem,was freezing because loads of unnecisary programs swallowing RAM,u tried ending task on programs u dont need?then deleting programs u dont need?i installed xp with help via this site as 2 many programs kept freezing me,this probably dont help but its worth a try,u have nothing to lose

The only problem is, I have trouble being sure that I fully comprehend hayton's post hopefully only due to his apathy for typing in a more comprehendable manner and not because he is not able to type any better. ;)

Do you mean trying to end unnecessary processes? Yes, a bit. But, I'm not sure exactly what I should end. It was easy to know I didn't need certain itunes and ipod processes running, so I did end those. But I forgot how to permanently end them and they resume when I log out and back in to windows.

I'm also wondering if I made things worse when I experimented with ending "explorer" which seems to be windows XP. It resumed when I logged out and back in, but I'm not sure if it made things worse or not because I was not paying enough attention. I honestly forget if the problems were happening before or after I did that.

It does seem to me that this RAM issue is the problem though. You installed XP as your solution? But, was that a reinstall as some users have suggested I do, or was that an upgrade or change from another OS? Nothing else worked? How would a resinstall help with RAM? Nobody has explained what happens during a reinstall yet and I would appreciate it if they did.

What about registry cleaning, editing, process ending, some sort of RAM help etc? Though I am a newbie to trouble shooting computers, it does seem logical to me that this would be a memory/RAM issue.

I can also say that I started experiencing a little bit of lag a while ago, which would happen sometimes when opening and closing programs or when adjusting volume with the keyboard. The programs would just take a bit longer to open or close and the volume change and volume bar graphics might lag or freeze very briefly or for maybe 10 seconds max and then if I left everything alone it would all be normal again. The problems I have no seem to be worsened condition of the same problem that caused the previous symptoms .... which I would again think has to do with RAM from my limited knowledge.

Humbly awaiting helpful replies..... thanks.

Edited by KnowShtuff

Btw I pmed you if you need help I can guide you since I know how

What sort of project for work is it? If its word processing, audio recording, presentation creating, or anything that can be done in Linux, burn a Linux LiveCD and do your work in there and use your email to store stuff. Then once your business stuff is taken care of, address the problem directly (Who knows, if you can do everything in Linux, you might make the switch permanent)

This logic - cirumventing the issue to complete tasks and come back to resolving the issue later - is one I seriously consider, but I'm not sure if it would really be as easy as desired. I have a lot of data on XP, and though I'm sure I can access all of it right now to possibly save it to web based email or something for use during an OS switch, I've never really thought about how much of it I do or do not need to use and this could take up my whole weekend in itself only to run into multiples of problems in the process.

I have thought of switching to Ubuntu Linux, as I have heard everyone raving about it, but I hear that there is pay support that I may need to use and I just have been so involved with work I didn't want to "fix something that ain't broke" and acclimate myself to a new OS in the middle of work as that may be very distracting and it may screw up progress or even worse some files on my computer for all I know.

I can not be sure when my XP is going to freeze during my work, except that it seems to be nearly a sure thing when working with audio recording and editing while simultaneously trying to do necessary things like adjust volume to compensate for audio fluctuations or even for playback during presentation etc.

I guess my work can be summarized as outlook and various web based email, word documents, pdf documents, and mp3 files created and edited with Gold Wave. The mp3 files vary from recording and editing with my microphone and using my microphone to record audio coming from my speakers and edit audio in with the audio coming from my speakers as well. Then in some cases I would store a particular mp3 in web based email or on my computer for playback on this desk top pc or for remote use on somebody elses pc or on a laptop .... but either way I need to be able to do things like adjust computer volume while messing with all of this audio, which can be quite involved when I really start editing carefully and compensating for audio fluctuations, and so far that is the sure thing that seems to freeze XP. Is this not just a RAM issue? I record a file or open a stored file and play it just fine. But when it is playing I try to adjust the computer volume or mess with other files or programs at the same time and chances increase that XP is going to freeze.

I was initially wondering if it was just a Gold Wave issue and I need to upgrade/uninstallt/reinstall Gold Wave but then I realized that if I fiddled with multi taksing enough with other functions and media players like shows in aforementioned "scenarios" then XP would also freeze even though it seemed that it would not freeze as easily as with Gold Wave.

:blink:

Edited by KnowShtuff

I realize. Thank you. I acknowledged this at the bottom of post #4 in this thread so please take a look. I also requested that you give an overview of the various possible problems and solutions that you are thinking of before I decide what to do about your troubleshooting offer that you sent via PM.

I realize. Thank you. I acknowledged this at the bottom of post #4 in this thread so please take a look. I also requested that you give an overview of the various possible problems and solutions that you are thinking of before I decide what to do about your troubleshooting offer that you sent via PM.

Hey, have you tried just using safemode (press F5 or F8 when you boot) with networking support?

It won't allow all that shit to start when you start the PC, and though it's ugly, it may give u a change to finish your work for the project; and deal with the problem (im thinking its as simple as msconfig, but I wouldn't want you disabling something you need) later.

Hey, have you tried just using safemode (press F5 or F8 when you boot) with networking support?

It won't allow all that shit to start when you start the PC, and though it's ugly, it may give u a change to finish your work for the project; and deal with the problem (im thinking its as simple as msconfig, but I wouldn't want you disabling something you need) later.

I use safemode for various reasons on occasion, but it's really difficult for me to work in for various reasons so I only use it to fix certain things.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH! I just tried to keep calm, stick to basics and go with my RAM/disk space/overload etc theory and followed through with the common sense, basic suggestions from hayton. I had initially tried ending some processes, and in the past month I had deleted multiple programs and cleaned up my desk top and deleted several gigs of multimedia so I figured that would be enough. But, thinking through more, I realized I probably have a lot of crap on this computer that I never use. Some in part due to the fact I never deleted all the bloated crap that came with the PC and started with a fresh and minimalistic version of windows like a lot of people do, some because I had a period of time during first year of ownership of this computer when the computer went without AV/spyware killers/adware killers etc and a bunch of crap got downloaded on my computer that I may have not completely cleaned up, some because I had also tried many programs over the years that I hadn't used and not only did they stay installed but a lot of their associated and "piggybacking" software was installed and stayed installed etc.

Soooooo...... I took some time to look up a lot of programs that I found yet that I didn't know anything about and delete them once I determined it was safe ..... and probably ended up deleting 1 - 1.5 gigs of useless programs. Then, I also uninstalled GoldWave v5.10 and installed their fresh 5.2 version. I've tried everything that was causing my computer to freeze and it is no longer freezing so far. The only problem I ran into so far is that the new GoldWave 5.2 is a fully functional yet limited command version and will not only require a reopen after 150 commands but require a license after 2000 total commands (play, stop, pause, etc), so I will probably look for the previous 5.10 install file in case it is still on my pc or see if somebody has a good free download of it somewhere on the web.

:voteyes:

So, for now, I will wipe the sweat from my brow for the most part, knowing that I really need to scrub a lot of useless crap from this computer. And, if I can find that 5.10 version again then everything may be about perfect again for a while.

I'm certainly glad that I didn't jump to any conclusions like needing to reinstall windows or take it to a repair shop and hopefully those remedies will continue to be unnecessary.

Thank you all for your willingness to help me think and to offer help in the various ways that you have. :wub:

Edited by KnowShtuff

Can you find/borrow/steal another hard drive? pull yours out (our just disconnect all the wires going to it from the motherboard), plug in the donor drive, (just the wires, you don't really have to screw it into the case). Install windows to the donor drive. When done, add your original drive as a slave then extract the data you need?

you would have to re install your apps to make them fire up easy but your data should be safe.

should take about an hour and a half including the glory of watching windows install...

The above is what I do when things go bonkers and I don't have a fresh backup.

Continuing on with the idea that a lot of unnecessary crap is unnecessarily installed and unnecesarily running on my computer, and with BreakDance suggestion of MSCONFIG and my recollection that it is related to processes in some way .... I googled.

This looks good:

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Looks like I would want to ask some of you guys some things throughout the purging process though.

For example, sysinfo says:

svchost.exe ..... Added by the DELF-UX TROJAN! Note - this is not the legitimate svchost.exe process which is always located in the System (9x/Me) or System32 (NT/2K/XP) folder and should not normally figure in Msconfig/Startup! This file is located in the Winnt or Windows folder. Note - has a blank entry under the Startup Item/Name field

I run AVG Free and AntiVir Guard Free along with Spyware Terminator, AdAware Personal and Spybot Search and Destory. I have also done free Panda ActiveScans though and this last one suggested that I have a lot of things I need to delete in places it won't and that I can't access ... like another Owner folder that I have no access to at all. So, I'm often under the suspicion that while my computer is safe enough for me to continue using for now .... it could be cleaned up a lot.

Back to svchost.exe ....

I currently see 6 svchost.exe files in running processes. I see 2 blank entries in msconfig startup in a windows folder location. I'm not exactly sure what I should do without reading more and I'm needing a break from the computer so I leave it there for now.

My point is, I'm still not exactly sure how I should best use process disabling/msconfig etc and I'm wondering if I should put the time into right now or not. Doesn't seem very difficult at all, and if I can do some quick things with this to help my computer out then I want to, but I do want to be very careful for sure.

Time to eat and get ready for tomorrow.

Can you find/borrow/steal another hard drive? pull yours out (our just disconnect all the wires going to it from the motherboard), plug in the donor drive, (just the wires, you don't really have to screw it into the case). Install windows to the donor drive. When done, add your original drive as a slave then extract the data you need?

you would have to re install your apps to make them fire up easy but your data should be safe.

should take about an hour and a half including the glory of watching windows install...

The above is what I do when things go bonkers and I don't have a fresh backup.

No other HD sources at the moment without getting creative, but not at all necessary (Thank Purple Jesus! :voteyes: ). Read my last post before you posted. ;)

If you can't tell already, I like your username. :D:P

Update...

It froze once again. I had located the old goldwave 5.10 exe file in a dowload folder that could be purged of a lot of useless stuff that I need to purge it of. I decided I'd get to the purging later and for now I would uninstall GW 5.2 and restart my comp so all of the uninstalls I had done earlier that told me to restart would take full effect. Booted back up and installed old GW 5.10. Realized 5.10 had the same 150 command limit per session with a total limit of 3000 instead of the new 2000 limit. I also noticed the old one seems to reset total count on uninstall. I figured I'd just reinstall the 5.2 and only use the 5.10 if I really need to later. It seems 5.2 is updated in a manner that does not reset total command count upon uninstall, but hopefully I won't rack up command counts as quickly as I was suspecting. The 5.2 exe file is in another download folder with a lot of stuff in it as well. When rapdily closing the first download folder and rapidly opening the second dowload folder while the other was still making my HD work a bit, XP froze again. But, multimedia functions still seem to be working better than before. My theory is if I keep cleaning up my pc it will continue to get better.

I started googling all the exe names that I see running in processes and msconfig, and I kept using bleepingcomputer.com and liutilities.com as my info sources. I notice that liutilities.com offers a "free scanner" called "SpeedUpMyPC".

What do you think about this? Should I trust it? Will it help me? Should I download it and use it?

Page: http://www.liutilities.com/products/campai.../spplib/?id=rec

File: http://www.liutilities.com/products/campai...dupmypc3plb.exe

Free Performance Scan

What is the performance status of your system?

You no longer need to guess... this Free Performance Scan will give you a complete diagnosis and deep scan of your current performance status and suggest optimizations.

The Problem

Do you often notice that your PC just doesn’t run as smoothly as it used to? This could be caused by anyone of several problems or a combination of all of them. The problem is, monitoring today’s PCs is increasingly difficult and time consuming. Even experienced users find effective control of all the settings and resources of their PCs hard to achieve.

The Solution

SpeedUpMyPC lets you monitor and control all your PC resources with easy, one click instructions. System settings, internet usage, disk clutter, RAM and CPU are all automatically scanned, cleaned and optimized for peak performance. You can also selectively disable or remove unnecessary background and auto-start processes to cut valuable seconds off your startup time.

2 minutes can save you months of frustration and crashes

Bottom line is, it seems the next logical step is to continue to clean up my computer of all the unnecessary files and running processes. But, I'm not exactly sure what to do and I want to do it properly, efficiently and quickly without harming anything.

Been purging files. Probably purged 5gb in addition to previous purging. Have at least another 4gb of media files I could purge, easy, but would rather not as they are a fave collection of multimedia. Realizing that this much I am looking at is 4+gb, I could have had 30+gb multimedia at one point, if not far more. I forget how to turn system restore on and off so I'm not sure if I'm still not completely removing all this junk and I forget if I turn that off, restart and turn it back on if restore clears everything or not????

Started thinking about those 6 svchost processes again. They are among the most memory consuming processes of the 40 + that are running. I'm really not sure if all of these are legit processes. Googled, and that same website associates another "free scan" with it:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...ibrary/svchost/ >

http://www.liutilities.com/products/campai.../rbplib/?id=top >

http://download.uniblue.com/ub/plib/rb/reg...oostersite1.exe

The Problem

Have you noticed that the longer you have your computer, the slower it runs and the more it crashes? Often this phenomenon is caused by problems in the registry that accrue over time. Installing and uninstalling programs leave behind fragments — stray files, orphaned startup tasks, corrupted drivers. Over time the registry starts to get bogged down and conflicts emerge. Left unchecked, your system will become increasingly unstable, run more slowly and crash more frequently.

The Solution

Registry Booster is the easy answer to registry problems. It conducts deep scans of your registry to check for errors and conflicts, then repairs and optimizes the registry to peak performance and stability. Periodic scans will keep your registry "clean" and will greatly enhance your system’s performance and stability. You’ll see immediate increases in speed and decreases in system conflicts.

2 minutes can save you months of frustration and crashes

Again, should I use it? I'm sure these programs do tasks that can be done manually, and it seems kind of silly to add another 2 processes when I'm supposed to be cleaning them up, but then again it could be a net gain and I guess it is supposed to reduce hassle immensely. But, I really would appreciate some more insight from you more experienced users who have "cleaned up" your registry, RAM etc.

Okay, so I now realize that the purpose of a reinstall is like the purpose of so called "tweaking" via "registry cleaning" etc, except a reinstall is like the ultimate tweak because you don't actually tweak ... but you wipe everything out except the stuff you can think to backup and then you have to reinstall all the backed up stuff or something to that effect.

Seems like PurpleJesus might have had the easiest method for doing that, with the second HD, but I don't have the second HD nor do I really want to make time to source one as it will not be easy for me for various reasons.

Reinstalling seems like something worth consideration, but as seems very common this process is overwhelming if you've never done it before and a bit fearful of losing critical data in the process. On the other hand, some people say that's all just normal unnecessary nerves from inexperience. On the other hand, I'm guessing that simple mistakes can lead to big problems which make it difficult for me to even want to put a "help offerer" such as g3x in the position of me wanting to kill them because they were human and accidently told me to do something I shouldn't during reinstall when they were just trying to be kind and help.

You know, I'm sure, typical concerns. Are they well founded or is this really easy when you get used to it and very difficult to screw yourself with?

Also, what about time? PurpleJesus said 1.5 hours if he had a second HD to help, but I wouldn't be in that position, I'd have a lot of data to back up and in my experience every time estimate can almost be doubled for real world results when working with computers.

All of this makes me think that I should just "tweak" for now by trying to clean everything up without a reinstall. What do you think? This is part of why I need advice on those last two tools I mentioned. Or, maybe you know of better "tweaking tools" that do the same things but may be much better at it?

It seems I'm so close to having to do this and not having to, but even if I can prolong issues for a couple weeks or a couple months then I'm sure I will come back to having to reinstall and tweak a lot of things in the not too distant future. So, may as well start learning now even if I take it slowly.

Edited by KnowShtuff

Update on "available memory".....

I've seen it as high as 255xxx now and it may jump higher when I deactive AntiVir Guard . Currently, with browser, toolbar with various tools running, AVG, AntiVir Guard activated, Spybot S&D Resident activated, and my APC UPS/Surge monitor running as is all very common .... I'm at 217xxx. I have been figuring that this is what I should be looking at to judge if my RAM issues are improving. If this is the right guide, I suppose I have documentation that it is improving from the previous 193xxx. I guess I have freed up 24xxx - 62xxx kb of RAM? Doesn't seem like much when the 6 svchost process are consuming around 40xxx - 45xxx and my browser and toolbar is consuming another 50xxx. But, it also seems to have been enough to keep my XP from freezing in some of the same circumstances it was earlier.

BTW, is this "freezing" considered the same thing as a "crash"? I always thought "crashes" were those "blue screen of death" issues.

Turn off all that anti virus/spyware shit, you don't need it as long as your not DLing photoshop.exe off limewire or kazaa. I do a spyware scan maybe once a month and a virus scan once every 3 to 4 months and still usually come up with nothing. Just be smart about what you DL.

Turn off all that anti virus/spyware shit, you don't need it as long as your not DLing photoshop.exe off limewire or kazaa. I do a spyware scan maybe once a month and a virus scan once every 3 to 4 months and still usually come up with nothing. Just be smart about what you DL.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I have considered this, but since I did just start using it so actively it seems like I should be able to run it and look into closing more useless, old processes and cleaning up my registry.

I used to go with no real time protection and a scan at the same intervals as you and I do not use limeware or kazaa and maybe use torrents once every year. I only started using AVG and AntiVir Guard and the Crawler toolbar with Web Security Guard and Spyware Terminator Realtime Sheild within the last two weeks or so. I figured I should when I realized that I was always coming up clean or seemingly easily fixing spyware and adware and the rare semi-threatening virus .... but then when scanning carefully in safe mode with web based Panda Active Scan and then again with AVG and AntiVir and Spyware Terminator .... I found plenty of stuff that was not showing up on my typical scans. So, I wanted to give this new setup a try.

I've really been enjoying the Crawler toolbar with Web Security Guard, which came with Spyware Terminator as an install option, though it definitely consumes a lot at about 15xxx k. But it seems to have been helping me reject things in a desireable manner and it has other enjoyable features in the bundle.

"TeaTimer" process seems to be for Spybot S&D Resident and it consumes about 15xxx k, but I like how it catches registry change requests and asks for my authorization for each as I have prevented some undesireables that way plenty of times.

AntiVir Guard consumes around 6,800 k when activated, only 900k when deactivated which is really easy to do, but I can't say that I have really found anything very enjoyable or protective about it yet as I have not noticed that it has caught anything in real time and it seemed about equal to AVG during the only scan I used it for so far ... about 1 week ago. But, I have only used it for one scan and for this very short time frame of real time monitoring so it seems early to toss it.

AVG seems to have relatively very low consumption ....seemingly having a few processes related to it that total less than 1500k. I like having at least one installed and running virus scanner. Web based Panda Active Scan installs stuff on the computer anyways, is less customizable for scanning, and does not fix plenty of the things it finds and does not always make it easy to manually fix what it does find but wont' fix. I forget if either AntiVir or AVG scan for spyware or adware at all ... which is why I also use Spybot, Spyware Terminator (supposed to be better at finding modern forms of spyware than spybot, and since it did find things spybot didn't I might begin to believe it) and AdAware.

It just seems like I should look into other processes first, like the 40xxx - 45xxx k being consumed by the 6 svchost processes that I know nothing about. And it seems logical that with all the crap I have had on and off this computer there are other places to clean up useless things before I start screwing with programs that I am enjoying or benefitting from in one way or another.

*Edited to try to make things clearer with words and spelling. Getting too tired to think and type right.

Edited by KnowShtuff

I'm a technically competent guy and have always excellened in critical thinking academics be it math, science or actual classes based on using critical thinking to solve complex solutions ... and also manual labor involving various types on construction or engineering. I typically score high on IQ tests. Relative to computers, I am a self taught car mechanic that can fix most problems faster and better than any local shop for less money with half the resources. That took time for me to teach myself with the help of online friends. I could do the same with a computer. Not a narcissist, but want to make it clear that I'm quite capable. I usually prefer to be independent. Though I could exploit sources that would provide a more comfortable computer consulting budget to take your advice, this would require me to be too codependent for my liking at this time. I have had a lot of my own money earmarked and invested in pending business, hence being near broke. Furthermore, I do have friends and family in the IT business that could probably help, but I do not want to bother with them for various reasons ranging from privacy to codependency and some others. I would feel more comfortable with those friends and family than taking it to a local "computer repair shop" for privacy and trust issues. Lastly, I have had multiple experiences with myself, friends and family when a car mechanic has totally screwed something up, overcharged or caused some completely unnecessary,time consuming, money consuming, hassle crazy BS when I paid them to get dirty and spend time on something that I could have done without all that BS if I just did it myself. I am now more comfortable with letting mechanics do work I am capable of again only because I know how to pick a good mechanic and I know exactly what needs to be done and how it needs to be done before I ask for service and I let them know so they are less likely to cause any BS .... and I'm not at that stage with computers yet.

I do not yet determine a need to think that my situation is as dooming as some might lead me to believe. It seems to me that I have a situation more like hayton describes:

The only problem is, I have trouble being sure that I fully comprehend hayton's post hopefully only due to his apathy for typing in a more comprehendable manner and not because he is not able to type any better. ;)

Do you mean trying to end unnecessary processes? Yes, a bit. But, I'm not sure exactly what I should end. It was easy to know I didn't need certain itunes and ipod processes running, so I did end those. But I forgot how to permanently end them and they resume when I log out and back in to windows.

I'm also wondering if I made things worse when I experimented with ending "explorer" which seems to be windows XP. It resumed when I logged out and back in, but I'm not sure if it made things worse or not because I was not paying enough attention. I honestly forget if the problems were happening before or after I did that.

It does seem to me that this RAM issue is the problem though. You installed XP as your solution? But, was that a reinstall as some users have suggested I do, or was that an upgrade or change from another OS? Nothing else worked? How would a resinstall help with RAM? Nobody has explained what happens during a reinstall yet and I would appreciate it if they did.

What about registry cleaning, editing, process ending, some sort of RAM help etc? Though I am a newbie to trouble shooting computers, it does seem logical to me that this would be a memory/RAM issue.

I can also say that I started experiencing a little bit of lag a while ago, which would happen sometimes when opening and closing programs or when adjusting volume with the keyboard. The programs would just take a bit longer to open or close and the volume change and volume bar graphics might lag or freeze very briefly or for maybe 10 seconds max and then if I left everything alone it would all be normal again. The problems I have no seem to be worsened condition of the same problem that caused the previous symptoms .... which I would again think has to do with RAM from my limited knowledge.

Humbly awaiting helpful replies..... thanks.

maby i cant write in a good manner but im only a 20yr old kid with no qualifications and i had this problem with XP so i changed to a custom xp to save time messing about with ending things and deleting unnecisary things,i have just had my internet fixed through REMOTE ASSISTANCE,all you need to do is find someone here who is willing to give you there msn address,then add them on messenger,search for remote assistance,click invite friend and pick there email address,they can then have FULL control of your pc and examins for problems via their computer

Torrents (with a tracker that supports comments) are good because then you can see what other people think of the file. They will almost always report spyware or malware if it is contained in a file.

maby i cant write in a good manner but im only a 20yr old kid with no qualifications and i had this problem with XP so i changed to a custom xp to save time messing about with ending things and deleting unnecisary things,i have just had my internet fixed through REMOTE ASSISTANCE,all you need to do is find someone here who is willing to give you there msn address,then add them on messenger,search for remote assistance,click invite friend and pick there email address,they can then have FULL control of your pc and examins for problems via their computer

I didn't mean to insult you at all. Quite the contrary, my post theorized that you were simply careless with your typing opposed to unable to type better. I have a dificult time believing this is not the reality, which is a compliment to you. However, neither your age nor typing ability nor lack of "qualifications" need to be too much of a problem for you, nor an excuse, as is evident when examining the lives of people like high school dropout, dyslexic multibillionaire who was a millionaire in his early 20s - Richard Branson; who is also one of the most liked and influential people in the world ... and you should know since it seems that you are a brit tossing around terms like "rubbish"! Bollucks! ;)

Thanks for explaining what you did and how you did it, or rather how you had somebody else do it. I'm not sure that I would trust anyone to have full remote access to my pc, but I'm certainly considering arranging some 1 on 1 if need be. Still not sure what I should do. It seems if I am more careful to not initiate multiple tasks at the same time, rather pause just enough to be spacing tasks so they may be happening at the same time but not starting and or ending at the same time, I have no problems. So far I had once more freeze and it was when I opened GoldWave and closed the programs window with the Crawler toolbar operating in it at the very same time ... launch goldwave and clicking the X to close the window at nearly the same time with an interval much like a double click. But, I just tested recording audio streaming from a youtube video, in my browser with the crawler toolbar, on goldwave, while adjusting the volume up and down and it all worked fine ... but I was careful to space task initiation.

So, I'm still "walking on egg shells" a bit, and I can't be sure that these behaviors are really making a difference or not though that does seem to be the pattern and I can't think of any other reason why. I still feel like I need to clean up my pc somehow be it with tweaking or a reinstall, but at the same time I'm tempeted to try to just go on with my work for now.

I know I need to finally get some sleep and return to consider my options when I wake up. Hopefully I will think more clearly and some of you may have come up with some more insight.

Edited by KnowShtuff