Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g3x

Where to Start

19 posts in this topic

Ok. I am a basic user like most. I know about ssh tunneling, a few exploits, etc.

There are 2 goals I am trying to accomplish within 4 years(an understanding, I know you can keep learning):

* Learn Linux Distros(Backtrack 2, Navyn)

* C++

I really have no idea about c++ nor linux so I am trying to. Anyone have some good book suggestions I should read?

There is a FAQ at the top of this forum you might want to look at.

If you want to learn Linux, the best way is to install it and play with it. Look on your local craigslist and try and find a comp for ~$100, turn that into a Linux box, try a beginner distro like Ubuntu or Freespire, something debian based. Other than that get the O'reilly book "running linux", you could get an older used edition on amazon for cheap.

I'm not much of a coder but you can find many C tutorials right online.

Ya. I bought a desktop from craigslist its sitting in my closet it was $50 :blink: but I need some guidance well to know how to start :unsure: I have ubuntu and backtrack 2 on a liveCD

You only need bt2 if you plan on doing some pen testing, put in the ubuntu disc, it should boot into a live cd and there should be an install icon on the CD, install it. From there just do what you normally do with a new PC, install java, flash, codecs, drivers, etc. Use the package manager to do this, I wouldn't mess with tarballs yet.

It's really hard to tell you what to do, maybe start using it as your main computer, you'll learn as you go, you wont become a guru overnight, it takes time and practice. But I would pick up there book I mentioned before.

Well I have backtrack 2 Final and when I use the live cd all the comes up is a cmd type window where I can enter commands. Do I need a different copy of backtrack?

Have you tried entering "root" for user and "toor" for password .

Then entering "startx" and press enter ?, this should get you in the GUI, if your PC is not too old.

Edited by Dex

If you read it should list you the commands, if "startx" doesn't work and sends you back to the CL, type "xconf" then retry "startx".

I think you should us ubuntu , or fedora those are some good linux dist... I know that ubuntu is easy for first times. It tries to load all the correct drivers for your machine.

I don't think backtrack should be your first distro to be honest. Start penetration testing after you have a stable foot on linux, network and programming.

Well, if they are written for windows you have an exceptionally low chance of them working (except for some wifi drivers which can work with NDIS i don't think any driver emulation will work) You need to see if there is native linux support for your hardware (A good amount of hardware is supported on some level, try installing Ubuntu to a separate partition and if it works, well then it works, if it does not, then you need to see if there is any support for whatever gives you a problem)

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

apparently it works, with some GFX card issues

Edited by n3xg3n

try installing Ubuntu to a separate partition and if it works, well then it works, if it does not, then you need to see if there is any support for whatever gives you a problem)

I can install it on a partition I know how(after all the great replies) and I don't want it eating up my little hard drive up if I can not use wireless because ethernet would be a pain in the @$$

try installing Ubuntu to a separate partition and if it works, well then it works, if it does not, then you need to see if there is any support for whatever gives you a problem)

I can install it on a partition I know how(after all the great replies) and I don't want it eating up my little hard drive up if I can not use wireless because ethernet would be a pain in the @$$

According to my cursory research, there are drivers for your wireless chip, but the worst that could happen if they don't work is either you get rid of the linux partition and resize your Win partition, or go out and buy a wifi card (which I would suggest you do any way as they are much more powerful than built in cards) that is definitely supported (They are quite cheap)

Edited by n3xg3n

go out and buy a wifi card (which I would suggest you do any way as they are much more powerful than built in cards) that is definitely supported (They are quite cheap

I really never say a performance boost. But what do you suggest a usb or pci card ??

go out and buy a wifi card (which I would suggest you do any way as they are much more powerful than built in cards) that is definitely supported (They are quite cheap

I really never say a performance boost. But what do you suggest a usb or pci card ??

pcmcia

usb wifi support is pretty bad, and usb wifi hardware doesn't tend to be all that great either

But remember, if the built in wifi works for what you need, then don't buy anything else just because the Internet told you to ;)

Edited by n3xg3n

Well it usually connects pretty low.

I am at the site now:

http://www.quatech.com/public/googpcmciaser.htm?type=GoogleAdWordsSearch

But help me find which is the best and which is the best and decent price

Ok. I am a basic user like most. I know about ssh tunneling, a few exploits, etc.

There are 2 goals I am trying to accomplish within 4 years(an understanding, I know you can keep learning):

* Learn Linux Distros(Backtrack 2, Navyn)

* C++

I really have no idea about c++ nor linux so I am trying to. Anyone have some good book suggestions I should read?

Get a computer and load Linux on it. Then dick around with it. You will learn the most when you are having to do things with it. You will learn 20 times more just playing around with Linux then reading a book on it.

I di dthat and I know more then one of my frineds that has read books about doing things on Linux. Stop reading about them and try it. :voteyes:

I di dthat and I know more then one of my frineds that has read books about doing things on Linux. Stop reading about them and try it.

Well im not a reading fan but I would like to anyway. :blink: