Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spyril

Finding a video's source

2 posts in this topic

Most of the time videos on web sites are not directly embedded; instead, a flash-based video player is embedded, which receives its data from an unknown source. Is there any way to find that source file? I'm not an expert on packet sniffing but I used Wireshark to capture some packets from the target webpage, and the only things I could find were the source port and the source IP. Here's the target video in case you're interested.

There are firefox extensions that will do give you a link to the video that the flash player plays, but I think that it only works on a handful of websites (youtube etc...). Packet sniffing works well for me, I use wireshark. You only have to capture from before you click the link to open the player until the video starts to load. Then click the "Protocol" column header, scroll down to the HTTP section and look for a line that has something similar to this in the 'Info" column.

GET /ItemFiles/%5BFrom%20www.metacafe.com%5D%20530084.3600517.11.flv HTTP/1.1

What we are looking for is the line that fits the pattern "GET [anything].flv HTTP/1.1". .flv is the extention for flash video (I think) and what most of the flash based players I've encountered play.

Right click and choose "Follow TCP stream" and you'll see the HTTP headers (followed by the transfered data but you can ignore that, what we are looking for is in the headers).

In this case, the first two lines are:

GET /ItemFiles/%5BFrom%20www.metacafe.com%5D%20530084.3600517.11.flv HTTP/1.1

Host: lln-videos.metacafe.com

So, the location of the video is:

lln-videos.metacafe.com/ItemFiles/%5BFrom%20www.metacafe.com%5D%20530084.3600517.11.flv

I hope that this helps. If my explanation sucked let me know.

Edited by lmnk