hayton2k3

help need using internet settings

26 posts in this topic

i have changed my o/s and it takes ages to load some sites is there anyway i can change this?its annoting waiting 5mins for page to open when im connected at7.8mbps

First off what kind of OS do you have? What browser are you using and what kind of connection do you have?

First off what kind of OS do you have? What browser are you using and what kind of connection do you have?

os is xp wiv explorer 7 and im on adls 8mbps but connects a little slower and when iv been phoninh componay they said my connection is STRONG,my internet worked ferfectly then i changed to a custom xp and now its not showing some pictures

What kind of "custom xp"

Try booting into a Linux live cd, or having a friend come over with their computer so we can eliminate a problem with the network connection.

Typically any modifications to XP can break something, and in most circumstances (there are a few, like modding the connection limit, or creating a mini-xp, where is is a good idea) it would be frowned upon. With windows, being locked into what Microsoft gives you is what you are paying for,

What kind of "custom xp"

Try booting into a Linux live cd, or having a friend come over with their computer so we can eliminate a problem with the network connection.

Typically any modifications to XP can break something, and in most circumstances (there are a few, like modding the connection limit, or creating a mini-xp, where is is a good idea) it would be frowned upon. With windows, being locked into what Microsoft gives you is what you are paying for,

just custom,it comes looking like vista and pre loaded with u torrent and all things you basically need but now i wish id never changed cos it pi***ng me off now,iv tried net with old comp and works perfect with the same custom xp but mine works but not on some sites but the sites work on old comp

Do a driver update for your NIC [or MoBo if it's integrated] And when you're saying custom xp I hope it's based on SP2, otherwise you might be already owned and the reason your connection is so slow is that there's all the botnet action going on.

Alternatively, try things out on Opera and see if it's the same. I could think of some custom settings for IE that might negatively impact your experience. Oh, does the page load slow but it displays all at once or is it doing very slow progressive rendering? And how does your connection fare on utorrent, for example?

Sit a little higher up the stream (either on the router or through arp cache poisoning) and sniff the traffic of the affected box to see if there is any unexpected data being sent that would indicate that you were 0wn3d. Do you even trust the source where you got the OS, could they have hacked in a rootkit that gives them control of the box? Is there any pattern to the affected sites? Is it always the same sites? Do those sites ever load fast?

Do a driver update for your NIC [or MoBo if it's integrated] And when you're saying custom xp I hope it's based on SP2, otherwise you might be already owned and the reason your connection is so slow is that there's all the botnet action going on.

Alternatively, try things out on Opera and see if it's the same. I could think of some custom settings for IE that might negatively impact your experience. Oh, does the page load slow but it displays all at once or is it doing very slow progressive rendering? And how does your connection fare on utorrent, for example?

i use azeureus not u torrent and my connection maxes out at 180kbps is highest i had and the page goes so slow and puts red X's instead of pics and some pages dont load up at all and im so annoyed,

Sit a little higher up the stream (either on the router or through arp cache poisoning) and sniff the traffic of the affected box to see if there is any unexpected data being sent that would indicate that you were 0wn3d. Do you even trust the source where you got the OS, could they have hacked in a rootkit that gives them control of the box? Is there any pattern to the affected sites? Is it always the same sites? Do those sites ever load fast?

basically the sites loaded fast on normal xp now the sites that i have found to go slow are YOU TUBE,EBAY,CBFSMS,the source is reliable you might know them, goes by name of JDROM17 the custom xp works on me old test computer but me main comp net is as problem i have stated

how do i sniff traffic?also im using a adsl modem

Why make things hard?? You want to make xp look like vista so get vista. If you don't want vista torrent xp. Its a dumb idea really whoever thought of making windows look like vista. I understand linux looking like windows but the same os is dumb

Why make things hard?? You want to make xp look like vista so get vista. If you don't want vista torrent xp. Its a dumb idea really whoever thought of making windows look like vista. I understand linux looking like windows but the same os is dumb

yeah but vista slows comp down im told and why get vista when loads of things dont even work on it,XP is reliable for things working

im willing to let a kind person connect to my computer by remote assistance and try and fix it

how do i PACKET SNIFF?and when i can sniff packets how do i know what they are for?any ideas?

You packet sniff using a packet sniffer :roll:

Download Wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

and if your going to do arp poising then there are plenty of tools to help you http://ettercap.sourceforge.net/

and plenty of tutorials on the internet ( google.com ) or ( irongeek.com )

cheers m8 iv tried getting loads of packet sniffers but i cant download torrents at the minute,i guess its cos my problems im having so ill try wireshark

iv got it and sniffing packets now,how do i know what they mean?because irongeek.com dosnt explain it properly its all complicated

is it possible to crash a network with packets?

Sort of, though the terminology is way off. If you flood the network with too many packets at once, so many that it completely saturates your allotted bandwidth, then technically you have DoSed (Denial of Service) your own network.

Sort of, though the terminology is way off. If you flood the network with too many packets at once, so many that it completely saturates your allotted bandwidth, then technically you have DoSed (Denial of Service) your own network.

so cant i use my computer to block up my internet provider and my self?i dont mind having no internet for a while if it means it shuts them dwn a little bit, is this possible at all?

so cant i use my computer to block up my internet provider and my self?i dont mind having no internet for a while if it means it shuts them dwn a little bit, is this possible at all?

Isn't happening. One person's connection is virtually nothing compared to the upstream bandwidth. If you can convince a couple thousand like minded people (aka bots) to DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) their backbone connection, then maybe, just maybe they will go down for a minute. But then they will just blackhole your connection, drop your service, and likely send their legal department after you. This has been successful against less powerful companies that don't control your traffic (which is your weapon) but is highly illegal. In a more grey area of illegality, do some research about the "Electronic Disturbance Theater" which is a protest group that used DDoS to pressure companies.

Isn't happening. One person's connection is virtually nothing compared to the upstream bandwidth. If you can convince a couple thousand like minded people (aka bots) to DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) their backbone connection, then maybe, just maybe they will go down for a minute. But then they will just blackhole your connection, drop your service, and likely send their legal department after you. This has been successful against less powerful companies that don't control your traffic (which is your weapon) but is highly illegal. In a more grey area of illegality, do some research about the "Electronic Disturbance Theater" which is a protest group that used DDoS to pressure companies.

cheers ill do it now,wish i had 50billion peoples computers at my control to DOS TALKTALK as there horrible and there net is rubbish as u cant go on many sites and they mess u about and never fix anything and then they had the cheak to turn my connected speed form 8mbps to 5.3mbps

cheers ill do it now,wish i had 50billion peoples computers at my control to DOS TALKTALK as there horrible and there net is rubbish as u cant go on many sites and they mess u about and never fix anything and then they had the cheak to turn my connected speed form 8mbps to 5.3mbps

You subscribed to "Up to 8meg" broadband. That means you might get it if you're lucky, depending on your line among other things. I have "Upto 8meg" broadband too, with BT Business, and I only get around 6meg on one, and around 3 on the other due to conditions on my phone lines. TalkTalk are crap though! You get what you pay for ;)

For those that don't know, TalkTalk is a budget DSL connection that have oversold their connections massively because you get a broadband connection with their phone line package for free.

Hayden, weren't you having trouble with MSN? I'd bet the problems are related, as you said Spybot found 400+ problems on your PC. Scan for viruses too, and see what you find!

i shud of stuck with tiscali and wat is spybot?and my speed was 8mbps then they turned it down to like 5.4mbps

You subscribed to "Up to 8meg" broadband. That means you might get it if you're lucky, depending on your line among other things. I have "Upto 8meg" broadband too, with BT Business, and I only get around 6meg on one, and around 3 on the other due to conditions on my phone lines. TalkTalk are crap though! You get what you pay for ;)

For those that don't know, TalkTalk is a budget DSL connection that have oversold their connections massively because you get a broadband connection with their phone line package for free.

Hayden, weren't you having trouble with MSN? I'd bet the problems are related, as you said Spybot found 400+ problems on your PC. Scan for viruses too, and see what you find!

i shud of stuck with tiscali and wat is spybot?and my speed was 8mbps then they turned it down to like 5.3mbps

i shud of stuck with tiscali and wat is spybot?and my speed was 8mbps then they turned it down to like 5.4mbps

i shud of stuck with tiscali and wat is spybot?and my speed was 8mbps then they turned it down to like 5.3mbps

Sorry I confused you with Blue_wolf, what I said still goes, however. Check your system for spyware and viruses, and see if anything comes up. Check the Windows Live messenger thread in Gen Hacking for links to AVG and Spybot.