big_bear

Ham Radio

9 posts in this topic

I have a feeling that I'm going to get flamed for this topic, but screw you guys if I do. I'm looking to buy a ham or CB Radio. What are good brands and prices for them? Right now I'm just looking to see what's out there, because there's a lot of people that use Ham radios in my area.

Such a statement comes across as an open invite to belittle and flame. "Never admit your fears because your enemy will inevitably oblige." My own quote, Art of War style.

I don't know but you could always check your local Barnes and Noble or college library for the latest QST or Amature Radio issue. I'm pretty sure they even have websites.

Icom 706 MK2G or kenwood TS2000 ( if more money) are good options, because they cover 160M - 70cm (kenwood 23cm)

New 706 is around 1000 dollars :voteno: , so still expensive :/

Yaesu ft 897 covers also many bands..

If you will buy only CD radio, i reccommend something with all modes ( FM/AM/SSB/CW) then you could to some DXing with it.

You can always track down some cheap used 20 years old radio, they can be used very successfully ( ofcourse, when they arent broken yet)

Buying radio equipment is much like buying computer equipment. The old the gear, the better the bang for the buck.

I'm not sure why people keep pimping these "All-in-one" ratios. Personally, when you compact that much into a radio, you're gonna have to trade off something: money, performance, features (pick any two).

My first radio was a Yaesu FT-101EE with the outboard 2nd BFO and digital counter. To me that radio screamed because not only was the receiver hot, but so was the TX power compared to many solid state radios. But there is no computer control to it.

The TS-440(s) is a pretty popular radio and it's not a bad performer. I think between the manufactures I'd go with either Yaesu or Kenwood. ICOM always has something I don't like about them with every radio. It's like they'll make a good radio, but put a shitty feeling dialing knob on it to remind me that it's a ICOM. :)

Really, figure out your budget first then shop within it. Remember many times it's not the radio that matters... it's the ANTENNA.

I've owned Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu radios. The difference is same as Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Dodge.

i bought my first a couple weeks ago a 2 meter single band radio for a little over 100$ VX150 i'm happy but i wish it was a dual band ie 144-444 cause it seems no 144-148 repeaters in my area have IRLP aka you can send some DTMF to it and it will "route/link to another IRLP repeater in another state/location using VoIP so having DTMF on mine is pretty useless unless i get autopatch access (route to POTS telephone)

it seems no 144-148 repeaters in my area have IRLP

I think only about 6 repeaters in the world have IRLP. Check into EchoLink instead.

A decent 2m rig will serve you well. There's other interesting stuff in the VHF bands, but you really can't go wrong with 2m... if nothing else, it will get you in touch with other hams in your area who have better toys than you and will let you come over and play with them. :)

no offense but i dont like echolink pluss i found a few VHF IRLP repeaters in my local area i might have a hard time reaching them there are way more on the 440 band there are a lot of IRLP repeaters just checkout http://www.irlp.net/

omfg i cant wait till the yaesu VX-8R comes out i want to buy it, 6 meter sounds fun

Edited by JimmyRidge

I built my first transceiver, an would recommend it to every Ham for their first radio.