anto

Motherboard malfunction

10 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has two intel motherboards of a Dell Precison 470 which is acting up. There was a malfunction which he doeasn't know what he did but when he tried to turn on the computer it wont turn on. We thought it was the memory since POST was not responding so we changed the motherboard but nothing happened. We dismanted the IDE's but still nothing is happening. We tried the memory on a working computer and it worked fine so did the other components except of the processor but we checked and found no damage and the heat sink and the fan works okey.

What could the problem and how can it be fixed

Probably a dodgy setting in the BIOS. Try resetting the CMOS, there should be a jumper to do this for you. Look up the manual for that specific motherboard to find out where it is. If you can't find it, just look for the battery on there (like an enlarged watch battery) and it should be near there. Or if you still can't see it, take the battery out for 5 second, or half a minute, however long you want :P and then put it back in.

That will clear all bios settings.

Also check that when you've installed the motherboard (unless Dell still glue their motherboards in, I don't know) that you put down those brass screw things so that the motherboard is shorting out.

Hope this helps.

Not posting at all?? Check the power supply and related connections and look for a short like Sensayshun said.

Stupid question: Are all the fans spinning like they all have power?

Swap out the power supply with a known good one to be sure.

Edited by PurpleJesus

Yes i removed the battery and i tried with a different power source but still nothing. I even tried replacing the processors but still nothing. It does not have a reset jumper and they dont give the motherboard manual. How streesfull can this get?

In that case your motherboard is completely shot.

As PurpleJesus said, do the fans spin up?

Try getting at least something to show without anything else plugged in, so unplug EVERYTHING apart from the motherboard and processor, no RAM, no hard drive or optical drives, no expansion cards. If the fans don't spin up then, I think you can assume your motherboard is dead.

If fans do spin up try adding a graphics card and see if you can get anything on screen.

If fans do spin up in the first place but you're still not getting anything on screen you may want to check your graphics card.

Don't buy from PC vendor who ships proprietary hardwares with their PCs. Dell ships proprietary hardwares(especially the motherboard,and power supply) with their PCs which usually doesn't comply with industry/market/popular standards.

If you're a computer hardware junkie, don't buy computers from dell, unless you want to use their phone support line, call their tech support center in India, and wait up to 30 minutes or more just to speak to people who pretend to know English.

The fan does spin when power is on but post does not beep. I even went to their website but still i could not find a motherboard manual. The beeps that i hear indicate a hardware problem and the colour codes suggetst a IDE problem but both the memory the harddrive the DVD writer and floppy all work fine. I even disasemmbled piece by piece then placed them back then nothing.

Hmmm just thinking out-loud... Would a motherboard post without a CPU? if it did, ya might know if the CPU was bad and seizing the bus.. or something.....

dunno... just thinking of how one could go about troubleshooting this...

I don't think mobos will post without CPU. I don't think it'll even turn on.

That was just one machine though, might do on older or newer hardware.

I don't think mobos will post without CPU. I don't think it'll even turn on.

That was just one machine though, might do on older or newer hardware.

I have one here that'll beep at you if it doesn't detect a CPU.