Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

hackin9 Magazine

32 posts in this topic

Sorry to reply to an old topic but wow is this place outdated. Funny reading all the praises in hackin9 when now they have been accused of multiple times of printing articles without giving credit due and the like. :D

lol, I haven't heard of that. Got a link? The latest hakin9 issue doesn't look that bad.

I picked it up at Barnes & Nobles. I would recommend it!

I bought a couple issues from the shelves over the years based on the cover and whether the articles sounded interesting to me. At the imported price, I cannot afford to buy every issue. I was disappointed with every one. I bought an issue that had an article about hacking Oracle and it had nothing to do with hacking oracle other than saying silly things like sniff for open ports on the box and other stuff that is independent of Oracle itself. I found the articles to be very vanilla and ordinary and none of them introduced anything new that I had not seen before. That would be acceptable, but not at that price and not when the articles are so poorly written.

I would like to see the evidence of your allegation of them not giving proper credit. That would piss me off.

I remember one of the issues have a very interesting article about adjacent memory overflows which talked a lot about one off errors in relation to strings and how even the so called "safe" functions in C that check length could be exploited in the proper conditions. Unfortunately, most of the other articles have not lived up to that one.

Sorry I am an idiot, let me clarify. I have heard that the magazine pays you for the articles unlike 2600, but they do a piss poor job at it to the point that people start asking why even bother. I think that is one of the few advantages of 2600, you are not getting paid for it but at least you know up front that it's pure exposure. I think there is nothing worse than saying "you will get payed by so and so date" and it turns out way longer than that, screwing up your financial planning.

Overall, hakin9 is an ok magazine that people should pick up (or even though I do not condone it, snatch) the LINUX example CD inside with sample programs from the issue. The cool part is, you only really need to do that once a year if you are really into it. ;)

Edited by Sidepocket

I would like to see the evidence of your allegation of them not giving proper credit. That would piss me off.

When it comes to 2600, I can tell you that I unfortunately DID receive credit. I was just never asked if I gave my permission for them to publish it in the first place. I kid you not, the first time I found out about it being reprinted in 2600 was when the issue (I was a subscriber then) showed up in my mailbox. The real problem for me wasn't that I wasn't told. The issue was that the Communication Act of 1996 made ANY type of cell phone hacking illegal and most real companies look down on hackers. I can’t tell you how many times my real name and email address (which I still use to this day) being used in 2600 caused my grief. Thanks Emmanuel... jerk.

I can go on and on on how I think 2600 killed the true hacker mentality and encouraged Script Kiddie antics. Gone are the days of TAP and The L0pht. And gone are the days of ethical, just wanting to "learn how the damn thing works" mentality. I don't want to bore you with details on my personal experience, but if you have any questions, feel free to email me directly. Google the Motorola Bible, my email in there is still valid and I try to reply to everyone. Mention "Binary Revolution" in the subject line and I'll make sure I get to it immediately.

-Mike

When it comes to 2600, I can tell you that I unfortunately DID receive credit. I was just never asked if I gave my permission for them to publish it in the first place. I kid you not, the first time I found out about it being reprinted in 2600 was when the issue (I was a subscriber then) showed up in my mailbox. The real problem for me wasn't that I wasn't told. The issue was that the Communication Act of 1996 made ANY type of cell phone hacking illegal and most real companies look down on hackers. I can’t tell you how many times my real name and email address (which I still use to this day) being used in 2600 caused my grief. Thanks Emmanuel... jerk.

I can go on and on on how I think 2600 killed the true hacker mentality and encouraged Script Kiddie antics. Gone are the days of TAP and The L0pht. And gone are the days of ethical, just wanting to "learn how the damn thing works" mentality. I don't want to bore you with details on my personal experience, but if you have any questions, feel free to email me directly. Google the Motorola Bible, my email in there is still valid and I try to reply to everyone. Mention "Binary Revolution" in the subject line and I'll make sure I get to it immediately.

-Mike

I had to re-read this old thread to see, but I was responding to allegations of Haking9 magazine ripping people off by not giving proper credit (I think) that someone made. Not 2600.

I am not sure that I understand what happened to you and 2600. You submitted an article to them and they printed it? Isn't that what happens when you submit an article? I don't understand what you are saying. Did you not submit it and they took it from your web site or something? I just do not get what you are saying. Please explain.

I think that the hacker mentality that you described exists right here at Binary Revolution. I mean, sure there are some people who don't get it, but we try to steer them on the right path. I know that the only reason that I am a hacker is because I just want to find out how shit works...and sometimes break it while trying to make it work better. ;)

I am not sure that I understand what happened to you and 2600. You submitted an article to them and they printed it? Isn't that what happens when you submit an article? I don't understand what you are saying. Did you not submit it and they took it from your web site or something? I just do not get what you are saying. Please explain.

He wrote The Motorola Bible and 2600 printed an excerpt of it without his permission. He claims to have never submitted it to them, but there is the possibility that someone other than Larsen submitted it to them. That's mere speculation on my part, mind you. 2600 may very well have outright stolen it, but I have never heard of another situation, or allegation like that. (Except from gbppr, who clearly doesn't count.)

There is nothing to stop me from stealing an article which I did not write and submitting it to 2600 as my own. I doubt they would ever notice, but who knows.

Stank, didn't we speak about that very idea years ago? :P

Oh wait, that was an idea to write a shitload of totally phony articles an submit them to Blacklisted411 under phony aliases... I think. I forget.

Edit: No offense meant, but on Larsen's LinkedIn Profile he even includes a link to the 2600 store where one may purchase the Spring '96 issue, which featured the article.

Edited by decoder