Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

hackin9 Magazine

32 posts in this topic

I've had the chance to get .pdf of two older issues of the hackin9 magazine from a friend. I've taken a look at the articles, and they are very long and detailed. I'm impressed with the quality of the content. I've been looking at their website and a one year subscription for the paper version would be 79$. That's a lot more compared to the 20$ for 2600.

However, I've been a bit disappointed with 2600 lately. I'm wondering how come articles such as "Encryption without maths" can get published while they apply very silly techniques. I mean, the so strong encryption technique used in the article is a simple substitution cipher made 4 times. People wrote to 2600 in the following issue to point out the fact that substituting the same char four times with different chars is like doing it once... and does not make the encryption any stronger. There was also this article called "hacking myspace using common sense". It basically shows how you can use google to gather enough information to hijack a myspace account. wow. I don't know why, but even if 2600 uses a very small font to fit more content the content still seems to be quite ordinary. Sometimes there are interesting articles, but there is also a lot of useless stuff.

I'd like to know, are there any hackin9 subscribers that could tell me if they are satisfied with their subscription, and if so, did you choose the paper version or the online version (cheaper)?

I've been reading hackin9 for maybe a year now and have to say it's probably one of the best printed hacking/security magazines out there. They usually have new content and interesting topics that aren't being covered other places or at least aren't being covered over and over again. I highly suggest anyone who hasn't checked it out do so. It's a bit on the expensive side, especially if you're not in the UK, but it's a good magazine and worth the money.

I've had the chance to get .pdf of two older issues of the hackin9 magazine from a friend. I've taken a look at the articles, and they are very long and detailed. I'm impressed with the quality of the content. I've been looking at their website and a one year subscription for the paper version would be 79$. That's a lot more compared to the 20$ for 2600.

However, I've been a bit disappointed with 2600 lately. I'm wondering how come articles such as "Encryption without maths" can get published while they apply very silly techniques. I mean, the so strong encryption technique used in the article is a simple substitution cipher made 4 times. People wrote to 2600 in the following issue to point out the fact that substituting the same char four times with different chars is like doing it once... and does not make the encryption any stronger. There was also this article called "hacking myspace using common sense". It basically shows how you can use google to gather enough information to hijack a myspace account. wow. I don't know why, but even if 2600 uses a very small font to fit more content the content still seems to be quite ordinary. Sometimes there are interesting articles, but there is also a lot of useless stuff.

I'd like to know, are there any hackin9 subscribers that could tell me if they are satisfied with their subscription, and if so, did you choose the paper version or the online version (cheaper)?

I know what you mean about the price. When I first seen the mag in the book store I sat down to read it. I was shocked on some of things on it and decided to sign up until I seen how much it cost... it's a little to much for me. If I really wanted I might be able to find then on a site or something...

I rather have a hard copy...

I finally bought a subscription this week. I took the subscription that included the starter kit. I'm wondering however when it'll get shipped. Do they ship it right away?

Keep us updated when you do finally get the starter kit and your subscription. I'd like to know how far in advance they get to you before they hit the shelves, and if you think it was worth the $$$.

I've bought a few off the rack at B&N, and they've all been excellent reads. A recent issue had a software exploitation article that gave one of the best tutorials on overflows I've ever seen. And I agree with your opinion on 2600. It's sad, really.

I don't know about hackin9 specifically but I agree with you about 2600. Unfortunately, not enough people are writing good content. This could be because they're scared, or maybe there just aren't enough people. So if you are good, write.

Could it be because they don't pay their writers?! :pissed:

The entire magazine is based off user submitted content but, yet they keep ALL of the profit.

I call bullshit but, I won't start this rant.

I don't know about hackin9 specifically but I agree with you about 2600. Unfortunately, not enough people are writing good content. This could be because they're scared, or maybe there just aren't enough people. So if you are good, write.

Could it be because they don't pay their writers?! :pissed:

The entire magazine is based off user submitted content but, yet they keep ALL of the profit.

I call bullshit but, I won't start this rant.

That's been the premise of 2600 since the get-go. It's not a profit motive for writers and their submissions, but rather, a place where people who love hacking can share their knowledge and discoveries in a published and distributed magazine. The draw for writers simply used to be having your content published in 2600, which was just plain cool in and of itself, and a bit of credibility behind your know-how in the hacking community, if you want to look at it that way. It seems that lately though, the content of submissions has been a bit lackluster.

The publishing business is an ass-rape for any type of operation that isn't backed by high-paying advertisers and and offest by bulk production discounts. At most major retailers, publishers have to eat the cost of stocking their mags whether or not they're sold. I think anyone would be hard up to actually document net profit by 2600 that reveals some lofty sum that could justify actually paying for submissions. It's a far cry from the digg model if you ask me. What would be nice would be maybe a 2600 t-shirt and other swag for "article of the month" or something. Wait, didn't they used to give a t-shirt to everyone who got published? Maybe I'm hallucinating.

The fact of the matter though, is that when you start letting less-than-intriguing articles seep in, it becomes a vicious cycle wherein people that have potentially great material may shy away from submitting because the content quality of the mag isn't what it used to be, and the motive just isn't there anymore. And then more mediocre content gets published because that's all that's being submitted. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's not to say that there aren't ANY good articles anymore, but maybe it's the romantic fantasy of days gone by, where I feel like virtually ALL the articles used to be way cool. Could all just be relative and a matter of perspective I guess.

Oh, and the issue of hakin9 where I mentioned the article on overflows is actually the starter kit. I hadn't noticed until I pulled it off my desk out of curiosity after reading through this thread. Still, I'd like to know what Aghaster thinks of his subscription and if it was worth the price.

Edited by mad_jimi_simi

they should try proofreading every once in a while.

Hell yes, they should really proofread what they publish. That's weird, I thought hackers were really skeptical about everything, which would make them verify what is said in the articles. The sad part of this is that this job is being made in the letters section in the following article. There are always many letters from readers correcting things being said in the previous issue.

By the way, I have received a letter from 2600 this week that said my subscription has expired. I haven't resubscribed yet, and I don't think I will.

Hell yes, they should really proofread what they publish. That's weird, I thought hackers were really skeptical about everything, which would make them verify what is said in the articles. The sad part of this is that this job is being made in the letters section in the following article. There are always many letters from readers correcting things being said in the previous issue.

By the way, I have received a letter from 2600 this week that said my subscription has expired. I haven't resubscribed yet, and I don't think I will.

i got that letter too. i like 2600 better than hackin9. hackin9 is not worth it. some of the "free tools" are cool but its got nothing else going for it.

i got that letter too. i like 2600 better than hackin9. hackin9 is not worth it. some of the "free tools" are cool but its got nothing else going for it.

Despite the fact you don't seem to like hackin9, I'm still eager to get it. For 2600, I'll consider it again when the next issue come out.

Are there other interesting hacking magazines other than hackin9 and 2600?

Edited by Aghaster

Phrack

BlackListed411

Dig into the Underground (Lowtech's mag)

I don't know if you could call this a "hacking" but (In)secure Magazine

Phrack

BlackListed411

Dig into the Underground (Lowtech's mag)

I don't know if you could call this a "hacking" but (In)secure Magazine

phrack comes out like once every three years now. blacklisted is dead again. and i saw some it security magazine at borders once but i forget the name. ill have to try and look for it again.

Information Security Magazine is usually an interesting read, even if it's not usually as technical as I would like.

Phrack may be infrequent, but I think folks in this field would learn a lot by going back and looking at select articles from older issues. I always find myself going back and looking at past issues and taking in articles that I wasn't ready to understand the first time through.

I would also recommend checking out the "papers" section of Milw0rm and looking at some of the e-zines that are posted there. A lot of them are unapologetically blackhat (ZFO!), and make for very interesting reading.

I received my hackin9 04/2007 and 05/2007 issues today. It's funny, they spelled Canada "Kanada" on the envelope.

I received my hackin9 04/2007 and 05/2007 issues today. It's funny, they spelled Canada "Kanada" on the envelope.

How are they?

This actually reminds me of a magazine I have stared to see out here called HACKER.

http://www.byakuya-shobo.co.jp/hj/

All in Japanese but very technical and in depth. The code examples are great but for 15usd and the lack of any European language makes it tough to always pick up.

How could they proof read all there articles? I mean they get allot and they will not know everything about everything. Thanks for the heads up on hackin9 will have to check it out.

How could they proof read all there articles? I mean they get allot and they will not know everything about everything. Thanks for the heads up on hackin9 will have to check it out.

The way a publication serious about accuracy would handle this would be to have at least an informal peer review. Ask people who are in the same field, who are confirmed to know what they're talking about, to read the submission, determine if it's complete nonsense, and if it's publishable, a summary of minor errors that could be corrected by the author before publication.

In academic journals there's typically a pretty strict and rigid process for this, which might not be necessary for something like 2600. However, simply passing the article along for someone familiar with the subject to read, verify, and critique would probably help the magazine's quality out a lot.

No kidding.

What is even worse is that they routinely steal other people's work. One of the most famous examples was when they printed part of Mike Larsen's "The Motorola Bible" with his real name and e-mail address. He ended up losing a good job over that one. And it was all because Corley had little dollar signs in his eyes...

2600 Illegally Printed My Work and Won't Acknowledge It:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.2600/ms...p;output=gplain

I think anyone would be hard up to actually document net profit by 2600 that reveals some lofty sum that could justify actually paying for submissions.

I'm sure they can scrape up a dollar or two. Maybe it's because of all those lawyer fees?

GIST Communications:

http://www.gist.com/gist_management.html

Dave Ruderman

Vice President, Technology

"Before joining Gist... In 1984, Dave co-founded the hacker zine 2600."

On-Line Guide to TV Viewing Offered by Upstart Company:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75AC0A960958260

"Gist Communications is backed by Neptuno G.m.b.H., a subsidiary of Sal. Oppenheim Jr. & Compagnie, a private bank based in Cologne, Germany. Neptuno's initial investment was several million dollars."

Sorry to reply to an old topic but wow is this place outdated. Funny reading all the praises in hackin9 when now they have been accused of multiple times of printing articles without giving credit due and the like. :D

Sorry to reply to an old topic but wow is this place outdated. Funny reading all the praises in hackin9 when now they have been accused of multiple times of printing articles without giving credit due and the like. :D

lol, I haven't heard of that. Got a link? The latest hakin9 issue doesn't look that bad.