biosphear

How to become a hacker

34 posts in this topic

Leonardo DaVinci was an amazing hacker, perhaps also the Greeks like Archimedes. It is hard to define for me. Perhaps the most basic thing that makes a hacker is unbiased curiosity and the drive to be creative.

Edited by Jedit

That's....that's really deep man.....I think I may cry.....

one big link to google

d'accord my friend!

here is a site for the people who claim to read it but just want you to tell them. i use this all the time it is a good site...here

Skip the chapter on ethics, in my opinion ethics only limit your ability to push the boundaries. Focus more on gaining the skills of programming and networking. I believe once someone masters those skills, then there only limitations in this field are there own immagination.

I see they have internet access at Guantanamo now. :pirate:

Most important is the thirst for knowledge and the initiative to figure things out for yourself instead of expecting to be hand-held and shown everything. To believe in yourself and your abilities, and to always look for practical ways to do things that most people would consider impossible. To solve bigger and more difficult problems and achieve bigger and better things.

Another important value is the belief that human understanding can shift the balance of power towards the individual rather than impersonal, amoral capital-hungry organizations like governments, huge corporations, etc.

To this end, hackers believe that information should not be restricted. People and organizations like corporate entities, ideological movements and governments often restrict important information for the sole reason of protecting their own interests and to oppress others who do not possess it. For this reason, hackers have no fear about exploring ideas that are popularly considered to be wrong or destructive. They are often drawn towards knowledge that is "forbidden" by society. Just because you know how to pick locks, that doesn't make you a burglar. Just because you know how to circumvent certain network security models, that doesn't make you a cyber-criminal.

Every hacker must decide upon a system of ethics and his or her own moral path. "Knowledge Is Power", as the old saying goes and "Power Corrupts". For this reason, we must be prepared to take responsibility for our actions and choose our path carefully. We must all decide the ways in which we intend to use our knowledge, and understand the consequences of our actions. If you have power, are you going to use it to help and empower others, or are you going to cause problems and steal from other people? If you identify yourself as a "hacker", than any destructive actions you perform are going to reflect badly on the entire community. Every hacker must understand that if he or she chooses to do illegal activities, he or she will likely pay a heavy price for it sooner or later.

Hackers must understand that the non-tech-savvy public have a general fear of their capabilities, so discretion is also an important issue to consider. The hacker must understand that bragging about his or her exploits, or even making the extent of his or her knowledge known to peers and superiors, can make others suspicious and may even undermine their trust in him or her. Hacker communities are very special and important for this reason. It's not everywhere that we can pick up new skills, share ideas and openly discuss our interests without boring or offending others or making them wary of us.

It's important to realize that being a hacker means not only knowledge of computers and technology, but a more general understanding of the world around you. Computers and other digital technologies are only a very small sliver of the complex and fascinating world around us. There are many many problems to be solved in all aspects of life. Do not neglect the entire forest for the sake of a single leaf.

Edited by MyNameIsURL

This might be a good place to start. http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html Everyone loves eric raymond

OMG ... I haven't seen that for a long time. I remember when I first started I read part of this... I like the part

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

I think the best thing to do is find yourself a good Linux Dist then play with it and see what you could do with it.