biosphear

How to become a hacker

34 posts in this topic

Ok so I am writhing one of those "how to become a hacker" hand book ish-bish, and am wanting to know what you guys think should be in it. It is not going to be one of those lame " become a hacker in 2 hours" type of deal, all it is going to do it give noobs a push in the right direction. It will ask them some ?s and then from there they can read on and lean what it means to become a hacker. As you know there is now guide to becoming a hacker, but the guides that are like "how to become a hacker" miss the point. People say they want to hack and they want to learn to hack but they need to know that you hack to learn not learn to hack. So I have about 4 pages already and just want to know what you guys think I should also put in it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

biosphear

Maybe a chapter or two devoted to the pros and cons of different coding/programming softwares, Operating Systems, and web browsers. Like basics about C++, Java, Python, and others. To let the reader choose their own style of Modus Operandi?

definately add something about ethics. some thing people these days lack severely.

Bart-Simpson-Google_Agency-Training.JPG

:devil:

Edited by CerealKiller

It is not going to be one of those lame " become a hacker in 2 hours" type of deal

Good. There are too many ebooks out there that are like "learn 2 h4x0rz the networkz and intarwebz". They don't even explain what hacking is or what it's about. Good luck with your book.

definately add something about ethics. some thing people these days lack severely.

Sad but true.

It is not going to be one of those lame " become a hacker in 2 hours" type of deal

Good. There are too many ebooks out there that are like "learn 2 h4x0rz the networkz and intarwebz". They don't even explain what hacking is or what it's about. Good luck with your book.

that just reminded me of the 1337 hax0r5 h4ndb00k. dont waste anyones time. get to the point. and will this be an e book? ir an article or a published book or what?

I'm going to post something that Stank told me when I started in this scene. Question everything and read; that's the short version. Also, hacking is more of a mindset as well; not everything hacking related is always technical; i.e. social engineering.

If you really want to have a beginner book on Hacking you may want to briefly cover EVERYTHING that falls under the hacking umbrella.

A history lesson is not essential but helpful, and make sure its accurate if included.

Basic theory of electronics, telecommunication systems & network systems. A chapter on how not to be a retarded script kiddie or wares hacker, while promoting the education of these systems to make better legal use of them.

Edited by doomtroll

If you really want to have a beginner book on Hacking you may want to briefly cover EVERYTHING that falls under the hacking umbrella.

A history lesson is not essential but helpful, and make sure its accurate if included.

Basic theory of electronics, telecommunication systems & network systems. A chapter on how not to be a retarded script kiddie or wares hacker, while promoting the education of these systems to make better legal use of them.

/me approves

Hacking is such a HUGE field.

Try to keep your book original, that's my only suggestion.

The word "hacking" has really lost it's meaning. Tom Knight, Richard Greenblatt and Bill Gosper are the original hackers, and I'm willing to bet 99% of you have no idea who they are.

Edited by jedibebop

Structure it like a university course, with a set of core modules (these should give a good grounding in general computer science and ethics) and also elective modules on various topics.

What about John McCarthy?

What about John McCarthy?

What about him? Definitely a great man, but I wouldn't consider him one of the original hackers (perhaps a grandfather)

Am I the only one here that tends to think a Hacker 101 course should be more life-like instead of theory?

i.e. Less "Java vs C++" and more "Intro to Nmap" and "DIY virtual pentesting lab"

Whilst I understand the importance of having a strong background in technical knowledge (programming languages, protocols, etc) I just don't think that's what the average "noob" is looking for when they read a 'Beginning Hacking Book'.

Once you teach the basics of, say for example NMap, then you could go on to explain why things work the way they do; Differences in Syn/Fin scans etc.

I know some people here get a hard on reading RFCs and coding ASM, but the to the noob this is almost useless.

You have to give your 'students' a motivation to learn and in my experience practical application is best.

Good luck.

From what I understand, hacking is no more than a common mindset of curiousity which encourages and inspires people to experiement with all sorts of systems (whether man-made or naturally occuring) for the purpose of learning more about the aspects of a system (such as organisation/configuration, and implementation) that make it function. Usually, with some motivation and persistance, this results in a good enough understanding to identify potential problems in a system, as well the ability to manipulate and implement changes in its design and configuration for beneficial purposes.

We all know what the media's definition of a 'hacker' is, and sure the term has been used appropriately as a label for many avid enthusiasts of computing and electronics, but it's important to remember that there are people who fit the bill out there who have the same mindset towards other (non-electronic) systems. There always have been people like that, and as long as humans (or maybe other primates) are around there always will be.

Ok so I am writhing one of those "how to become a hacker" hand book ish-bish, and am wanting to know what you guys think should be in it. It is not going to be one of those lame " become a hacker in 2 hours" type of deal, all it is going to do it give noobs a push in the right direction. It will ask them some ?s and then from there they can read on and lean what it means to become a hacker. As you know there is now guide to becoming a hacker, but the guides that are like "how to become a hacker" miss the point. People say they want to hack and they want to learn to hack but they need to know that you hack to learn not learn to hack. So I have about 4 pages already and just want to know what you guys think I should also put in it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

biosphear

lol you can't become a hacker. You either are one or you aren't. Hacking isn't about penetration or security, it's more about the will and need to always learn and to always push that letter. Testing the limits of something and making the technology work for you, not you working for it.

Other than that, I concure. One giant link to google spanned across 450 pages.

Many of the suggestions seem like they would be great, but at the same time. Think about how soon it will be outdated. I would suggest putting info that won't be very outdated anytime soon.

Just post a lot of links to phrack. Phrack contains all you need to know to get started. From there, one can branch out into different categories.

Skip the chapter on ethics, in my opinion ethics only limit your ability to push the boundaries. Focus more on gaining the skills of programming and networking. I believe once someone masters those skills, then there only limitations in this field are there own immagination.

Just post a lot of links to phrack. Phrack contains all you need to know to get started. From there, one can branch out into different categories.

to someone just getting into hacking, dont think phrack is a good place to start. i still dont fully understand some of the stuff they cover in that magazine and ive been doing this thing for over 3 years now.

hacking is such a broad spectrum. i mean, there are so many things you have to learn. i dont think you could put it all into a book and still have enough years in your life to raise a family. many have tried. many have failed.

Bart-Simpson-Google_Agency-Training.JPG

:devil:

One of the first paragraphs has that Google is one of your best friends as a hacker.

lol you can't become a hacker. You either are one or you aren't. Hacking isn't about penetration or security, it's more about the will and need to always learn and to always push that letter. Testing the limits of something and making the technology work for you, not you working for it.

I do not believe that you are a hacker or you are not. Lets compare hacking to singing. Yes some are better off the get go with singing but every one can become one with the proper training. It goes the same with hacking.

Now for it being outdated, I am trying to make sure it will not be outdated by the time it comes out.

Thanks for the help

biosphear

After reading everyone post on here... Some of you have some good points and suggestions. I think for the n00b you have to teach the basic and show then. It's like when you were a little kid and wanted to ride a bike. Was your father, brother or mother showing you the proper way of writing, putting on the brakes, and not falling... It's the same with h*cking I think . For the last yr I been reading a couple here and there.

I learned a couple things but sometimes it's always good to have someone show you also. That way you do it the correct way and not the wrong way.

It's a good idea that your putting this together for everyone. Just let us know when your done and were to download the file.

Good luck...