Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bcrscahh198987

Oil cooling???

14 posts in this topic

Or you can just get liquid cooling. But if you do it, tell me how it turns out.

You mean water cooling? yeah, I'll try to do water cooling. I'm currently busy with my investment/economic studies. It'll probably take me around 1-2 years for me to water cooling.

You mean water cooling?

ethylene glycol > water

You mean water cooling?

ethylene glycol > water

Ethylene glycol is much better, but water is easily available.

well this you make it alot harder to up grade your computer. Try taking it to a computer repair shop like that. :lol: . I just want to do this just so I can take it to geek squad (peep squad) and see what they would do with it just full of oil. I do not think this will ever go into large production at all. To much of a mess and hassle to be practical. But who knows what my happen in the computer world. This could be the next big thing, I just really do not think so. :nono:

I remember reading an article in which someone attempted to submerge their whole motherboard in deionized water, which doesn't conduct electricity. Unfortunately for them, the computer components reionized the water and baked everything. They ended up using transformer oil, which IIRC works pretty well (if it can cool a 12 kV to 240 V 400 A step-down transformer on a power pole, I'm sure it has no problems with PCs).

Ethylene Glycol can be bought as antifreeze. Just get the full-strength kind and don't mix the water in.

A true display of human thirst for knowledge. He had a question, and went about solving it the right way. Kinda eerily beautiful when complete. I'm upgrading Konoko soon, and thanks to Newegg, it won't break me. But I still use a cooling fan. Easier to mod her that way.

I think I might by an older computer to do this just for fun.

If only we all had the resources to do so.

Heh, not exactly practical and not all that useful. I have seen this for things like wifi access points in environmentally hostile places (keeps dust, pollutants, smog, etc out of the equipment and keeps it cool), and I've heard of it for cooling a PC. But with a PC, there are really only a few hotspots and liquid cooling those (with a water block, pump and radiator) is probably a lot more effective. Not to mention easier to change. Say you get your nice new $2,000 computer in the oil and you want to install a new part. You can't exactly just slap it in.

You can get a water cooling system for ~$150 on newegg. If you want to get into extreme cooling and overclocking, maybe you should start there?

This is a cool and all but it's really going overboard if you ask me.

But give it a try on a old pc.

I'm too worried about condensation to try it. frozencpu.com has some interesting gear.

I'm too worried about condensation to try it. frozencpu.com has some interesting gear.

Condensation only happens when something is cooler than room temperature. If you use Peltier coolers, this can be a problem. Water cooling, with the radiator in the same room as the computer, shouldn't generate condensation, as long as you are talking about /water/ cooling -- using a phase change system or a vaporisation system can cause condensation too, but these are much larger, more complex, and more expensive.

You can make your own waterblocks and such with copper bar stock, and a drill. Instructions here:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips900/