Daintiest_Martyr

privacy

15 posts in this topic

i recently had an issue with my internet provider. my internet services was capped due to high usage.

i had the cap removed and upgraded from 10g to 20g.

only issue is that they watch accounts that have such high usage and was able to see that i had a P2P file sharing program (azureus).

this program is the reason for the high usage.

i know that it isnt possible to hide or mask usage to the company other than hacking another IP and using it to download.

(which i dont know how to do, nor am i looking to do)

but, is there a way to run asureus without background downloading, spying and/or company peeping.

i want to continue using azureus, but, afraid that company will notice and cap me again, or worst, refuse service all together.

ive thought of installing tor. but, thats just web browsing and bogs down my OS.

i also have the newest version of putty with proxy options, but have yet to get through the tutorials enough to operate it.

any suggestions is welcomed and appreciated.

thanks.

DM

Edited by Daintiest_Martyr

What ISP are you with? I can leave my machine downloading 24/7 and all that'll happen is I get throttled to 1Mb from 2Mb during peak time (4pm till midnight).

CMA communications.

im now able to download, but, fear company peeping will give me this trouble again.

i installed tor and im running it, but, not sure it will do any good for my situation.

FYI tor is not only for web browsing although i would not recommend trying to download torrents via it.

In terms of bandwidth no matter what you do (proxies/tor etc) your isp will be able to determine how much data your using as all of your communication has to go via them.

In terms of your isp being able to determine you are running azureus. May be worth changing the listen port to a none standard port as they may be scanning/monitoring for users who allow connections to this port. They probably also monitor the destination ports you connect to but not much you can do about that really.

There is a piece of software called peer2guardian which acts like a firewall which by default blocks access to your machine from known copyright/government agencies you could add your isp's range to the list. But still if they monitor this properly they will still be able to determine were you connect too and not just bittorrent users who connect to you.

May be a good idea to get yourself an unlimited isp or upgrade your package?

Using TOR for P2P is not only stupid, it's also highly frowned upon because it does nothing but slow down the node for everyone else. Also, you should be happy that your ISP didn't cancel your account because if you read their AUP/TOS, you probably broke it and by all means should have been reported to the local authorities for piracy (no one downloads legit torrents all day).

They're not snooping, they're monitoring their own infrastructure for misuse and are taking appropriate action. Your, or your parents most likely, signed a contract stating that under their AUP you would abide by their rules. They paid for the hardware to put the infrastructure in place and have every right to monitor it and once again, you're contractually bound to abide by their rules, whatever they may be. You're paying them to use this service and they make no concessions about giving you privacy, using any ISP is not a right, it's a privilege.

If that was too much to read: their network, their rules. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

Using TOR for P2P is not only stupid, it's also highly frowned upon because it does nothing but slow down the node for everyone else. Also, you should be happy that your ISP didn't cancel your account because if you read their AUP/TOS, you probably broke it and by all means should have been reported to the local authorities for piracy (no one downloads legit torrents all day).

They're not snooping, they're monitoring their own infrastructure for misuse and are taking appropriate action. Your, or your parents most likely, signed a contract stating that under their AUP you would abide by their rules. They paid for the hardware to put the infrastructure in place and have every right to monitor it and once again, you're contractually bound to abide by their rules, whatever they may be. You're paying them to use this service and they make no concessions about giving you privacy, using any ISP is not a right, it's a privilege.

If that was too much to read: their network, their rules. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

dm SAYS

1: its my account, bought with my hard earned money

2: i was simply asking a question of weither or not i could mask my downloads.

3: i never mentioned anything about downloading illegal anything, nor did i say i download all day.

4: dont respond to my posts, i dont like your attitude. this is nubie HQ for a reason and FLAMING IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU RESPOND AGAIN, ILL REPORT YOU.

5: i also dont appreciate your homophobic signature. thats dick! im gay, and i love every color of that fucking rainbow!

Edited by Daintiest_Martyr

They paid for the hardware to put the infrastructure in place and have every right to monitor it and once again

That's only partly true. You mentioned that he was lucky they didn't call the cops, in such a case it would hard to use evidence obtained using this snoop whenever I want technique.

Comrade Ringo Kamens

i know it's been said, but using TOR for downloading is really uncool, i don't use it much but feel i have to say something because i know one person who really cares about privacy and he's sick of seeing his TOR server being used by selfish d***heads.

ok, i need to set something straight that was odviously taken out of context.

i do not use tor to download anything.

i am simply running it to prevent web snooping.

i use azureus to download. well, use to that is.

im to afraid to download anything now for fear of rejected service.

i dont even have it installed anymore.

and, i promise, im not a d***head!

promises! :)

i didn't mean you i was talking about the people who are using TOR to download stuff. the point of my post was just to make it clear it's wrong. sometimes 1/3 of the bandwidth is used by people using rapidshare and sites like that and i suppose P2P too.

3: i never mentioned anything about downloading illegal anything, nor did i say i download all day.

4: dont respond to my posts, i dont like your attitude. this is nubie HQ for a reason and FLAMING IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU RESPOND AGAIN, ILL REPORT YOU.

5: i also dont appreciate your homophobic signature. thats dick! im gay, and i love every color of that fucking rainbow!

I'm trying my hardest not to flame you. In fact, I'm binding my hands so I don't put my fist through the monitor.

The rules of noobie HQ:

You can safely post here without feeling stupid or being insulted. PLEASE DO NOT FLAME THE NUBIES!!! If you do, YOU WILL BE BANNED! Do not reply to topics unless you have an answer to the question. Do not tell people to "google it" in any form. If you do not have a clear response that answers the questions posted or otherwise adds to the conversation, DO NOT POST! (Posts here count towards post count!)

If you expect ANYONE to respect those rules. You need to respect them *yourself*. Tehbizz is a HIGHLY respected member of this community, not only does he contribute worthwhile tid-bits on a daily basis; he is in fact a moderator on this forum. I don't always agree with what he has to say. However if you expect anyone to respect your voice, you better damn well respect what other people have to say, REGARDLESS if you disagree with it or not. Tehbizz was offering an answer to your question, contributing, and giving you advice. Basically, helping YOU out with his suggestions. Taking the time out of his day to offer a hand, and you bite that hand. You tried to make him feel stupid, and insulted him (see noobie HQ rules). Obviously your rant was neither contributing nor answering anything previously stated regarding your original question.

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the rules that you yourself have broken, and then you can call others out:

-Behave like an adult and treat others with respect.

-If you feel the need to be an elitist asshole, you are not welcome here.

-Do not personally attack others on these forums.

-There is a "Bit-Box" forum specifically for venting your anger and frustrations, and posts of this nature outside "Bit-Box" will not be tolerated.

-If you have any problems with another user, you are encouraged to take it up privately rather than starting a flame war on the public forum; you may use the forum's private message feature or you may contact the other user via the instant messaging or e-mail service of your choice.

-We encourage you to disagree with each other and hold lively discussions and debates on the topics that interest you; just be careful not to cross the fine line between lively discussion and flame war.

We realize that from time to time you will not see eye-to-eye with others on this forum. We don't expect you to agree with everyone else all of the time, but we also expect you not to start flame wars. Be respectful of others, think before you post, and consider the consequences of your actions. Mature adults have lively discussions centering on the merits of individual arguments; only immature children attack each other personally. We are willing to treat everyone as a mature, responsible adult. Don't screw it up for yourself.

NoobieHQ rules are in place for a specific reason: So that new members can ask questions and not be treated like shit, maybe they don't understand what hacking is, or what this community is all about. And here they can learn without someone saying "that's simple you idiot".

I will not flame you for being a new member, nor will I flame you for your question. However, those rules don't allow you to be a complete asshole and get away with it. I will call you out on that every time. I too had a smartass attitude starting out, I was young, naive, stupid, and thought I was a god. How wrong I was, and how wrong you are.

Consider the above post my 'advice' to you as a 'new member', and try to show a little bit of respect to the people here.

And you're still on their network built with their hard earned money.

And you got your answer.

i never mentioned anything about downloading illegal anything, nor did i say i download all day.

A logical assumption based on the fact that you:

a ) maxed your bandwidth

b ) you're on p2p

dont respond to my posts, i dont like your attitude. this is nubie HQ for a reason and FLAMING IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU RESPOND AGAIN, ILL REPORT YOU.

To whom? The moderators?

Off topic. I don't appreciate your homosexuality. But I don't post that here. There are several gay members here, but I don't give them a hard time for it. Don't give others a hard time for their stance on it.

Edited by BrakeDanceJ

This thread is degenerating fast. At this time, I'd ask people not to post unless they have something relevant to the original topic at hand.

DM: You took tehbizz' post a little too personal.

BreakDanceJ: Take three deep breaths...

Are you encrypting your torrent traffic? I'd think that should be a given, but asking just to double check.

However I still assume that when probed - even with non-encrypted information - Azureus might respond, so your ISP could still figure it out. Fact of the matter is they have bandwidth limits for a reason, so while them acting on a hunch that you might be sharing content that you do not own the rights to do so is unlikely for fear of retribution and possibly litigation, it is generally well within their rights to alter your service as they see fit. The ToS gives them that right and you, as a consumer in a competitive marketplace, are free to switch providers.

I would also like to point out that in no way did I find tehbizz's post insulting or otherwise inflammatory to you or anyone. Advice does not always come in nice little packages and that doesn't make it any less valuable. Also, NUBIE HQ is a place where your questions are protected - it's not a carte blanche to be used as defense for less-than-appropriate behaviour.

im sorry about you being offended by the comment i made about the rainbow and straight school. though taken in context it was pretty funny. if there are any comments to be made against what i said, please direct them at me.

I think this thread is totally derailed at this point and I am closing it.

Think about the questions that you still need answered and using the advice that was given, be careful how you word things in the future. This goes for EVERYONE!