Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vangald

Ubuntu Connect to WPA Encrypted Router

8 posts in this topic

I have been having problems connecting to my wireless router due to the fact that I use WPA encryption. I have tried a couple of ways of trying to get it to connect with no luck.

I have tired both of these methods and either I am not doing something right (more than likely) or something else is up.

http://comphobby.org/archives/14-More-Ubun...erspective.html

http://jeffrasmussen.wordpress.com/2006/05...u-wpa-goodness/

Any help would be much appreciated. As always.

buy a cheap wireless card known to be supported.

note: I'm not trying to sound like a jackass; IMO this really is the best solution a lot of times.

Option 1: spend 6 hours editing text files, trying to get WPA to work

Option 2: buy a known working adapter for $20 and save yourself the trouble

$20 divided by 6 = $3.33 per hour

It really just comes down to a simple equation.

How much is your time worth?

Well from what I can tell is that it is not a hardware issue. Well thats the thing I can connect when the router is setup for WEP. So it isn't a hardware issue. They don't put the options for connecting to a WPA encrypted router in the connection manager, but the support does seem to be there. It's implementation just seems to be buried.

if you know which card you have go and look it up at the tutorial section of ubuntuforums, there'll definitely be a tutorial there.

try this "Powerful Network Management Tool For Ubuntu" it was mentioned on "The Linux Link Tech Show" http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

This worked well but, now when I try and connect to my router it fails to acquire an ip. It always fails on that step.

Well from what I can tell is that it is not a hardware issue. Well thats the thing I can connect when the router is setup for WEP. So it isn't a hardware issue. They don't put the options for connecting to a WPA encrypted router in the connection manager, but the support does seem to be there. It's implementation just seems to be buried.

I think you misunderstood me.

I wasn't suggesting that you had bad hardware; I was suggesting that you purchase a cheap adapter that already has clear documented steps to setting up WPA;

opposed to looking around on forums all day.

While, yes, it is a great learning experience, it can be arduous and quite time consuming.

I think you misunderstood me.

I wasn't suggesting that you had bad hardware; I was suggesting that you purchase a cheap adapter that already has clear documented steps to setting up WPA;

opposed to looking around on forums all day.

While, yes, it is a great learning experience, it can be arduous and quite time consuming.

I see. Sorry for the mis communication, but this is one thing I think I could get a lot from figuring out. Besides if I don't get it figured out it will always bug me.

Ok so now if I put in a static IP it will say that it connects, but at 0% connectivity.......riiiiiight. I am gonna play with this some for and double check my hardware settings.

*Update*

One thing I noticed is although in Linux it would cause the wireless led light to kick on no matter what. I tried connecting again after switching once and it would connect with about 43%, however now it will not allow me to connect to the net. When I run ifconfig in the terminal it shows an error. Is there a way of finding out a little more info on whats going on? I mean I guess I could try and do a packet capture and see what that shows, but I was wondering if there is any builtin tools that might tell me about the same or more?

Edited by Vangald