criticalmass

Phreaknic

42 posts in this topic

i will be working there this year with the security team. i was hopin that some people from last year were going. i know you and i talked some last year.

who will be attending this year

more info www.phreaknic.info

I won't be there because I'll be at college. Wish I could, though!

I plan to be.

I too plan on being there. I'll also be dragging phreaknurse along with me for the 3rd year in a row. She adds to the female boobage (and TelcoBob really likes her).

hey i really like her 2.

i talked to dosman, the laws in tn have changed, so that only a licensed locksmith can possess a lockpicking set, so he is looking more into the law so that he can a talk or demonstration on lockpicking.

a bit of information about phreaknic, the con is dirt cheap to go to, and alot of people contribute by volunteering. there is a signup form for volunteering http://nlug.org/pn11.php its not hard stuff and its a great way to meet people.

phreaknic is almost a big party, with one track of speakers and the talks being broadcast into the rooms, you wont miss a talk you want to see, and you will definitely have a great time. last year whenever i woke up, i played a game of "guess who passed out in my room". downtown nashville is a blast also, and its very close to the hotel, so cab fair is really cheap.

we will be having a binrev meetup friday night. see me for times and location, im thinking about going eat tacos for the meetup, there is a sweet taco place that has moved downtown (instead of crazy drive across town) where you have to put your name on your order and they call it out for you to get your food. last year we were informed that they "do not say funny names"

That locksmith thing sounds like bullshit and borderline unconstitutional. When did they pass thsleazy legislation, droops?

i dont know, the phreaknic organizers told him about it.

I concur, they do not like funny names. I guess we'll all be using our handles...again. I just hope that big black dude isn't working so we can giggle like little girls when they say "droops".

Actually, I'll probably just use my name. I'll make sure phreaknurse dresses all sexy for you, droopsy.

I concur, they do not like funny names. I guess we'll all be using our handles...again. I just hope that big black dude isn't working so we can giggle like little girls when they say "droops".

Actually, I'll probably just use my name. I'll make sure phreaknurse dresses all sexy for you, droopsy.

I know who you are talkin about and no shit

It's a toss up for I. I'm getting married in a few weeks. Hopefully we will get crazy cash so I can make it.

It's a toss up for I. I'm getting married in a few weeks. Hopefully we will get crazy cash so I can make it.

Congrats! Bring the wife with. She'll love it!

Hey man, that's awesome! Congratulations! :)

Hey all. As droops mentioned it is now illegal to engage in locksport in Tennessee unless you are a licensed locksmith. Linkage:

ALOA's "English" version of the law:

http://www.aloa.org/legislation/Leg_Map/pd...20Licensing.pdf

The actual law:

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/acts/104/pub/pc0885.pdf

(g) No person who is not licensed under this act shall possess, use, sell, or offer

to sell any code book, lock picking tool, manipulation key, try-out key, safe opening tool,

or car opening tool.

(h) No person shall sell, offer to sell, or give to any person not licensed under this

act any code book, lock picking tool, manipulation key, try-out key, safe opening tool, or

car opening tool.

There are a few exemptions listed that could be plausable, but unless anyone knows a recently deceased locksmith that I can claim left me a bunch of picks I don't want to try selling again this year. I was suspicious if it was somehow related to last years PhreakNIC but after looking closer I realized that it was passed well before PNX, it didn't take effect until July 2007 though. It's also worded loosely enough to cover bump keys although it doesn't mention them by name. Oh yes, it also covers safe cracking. So, sitting in your own home minding your own business you can now commit several new crimes.

I was really interested in giving a talk on lockpicking and advanced locks this year but not being allowed to discuss picking pretty much killed it. I may try to come up with something else though but it's looking grim.

as an added note, my local truck stop sells slim jims and those plastic wedges for holding a door slightly ajar for 10 bucks, with other assorted breaking into car gear. im going to buy one of these sets.

I have told anybody that ever mentioned being interested over the years to buy their picks when they can. Many if not most states have legislation in place or are planning to. Anyway, get em before they're impossible to buy (tho of course you can always make them, that takes a bit more work).

Phreaknic sounnds extremely appealing to me. It's only in Tennessee, and its a lot cheaper than Defcon. It sounds like a fun time.

Congratulations, ic0n! Hope you enjoy yourself.

On topic: I *might* be able to go. Phreaknic sounds really fun and awesome, and its not that far away. I'll see who I can convince to let me go xD

I'll be going. Will our 'undercover' friends be there?

you mean the ones that are probably reading this? :)

oh yeah. they gunna be there.

im gonna try to save some money up to go.

I'll be going. Will our 'undercover' friends be there?

you mean the ones that are probably reading this? :)

oh yeah. they gunna be there.

im gonna try to save some money up to go.

Has anybody ever organized a (surprise) party just for our special friends?

Has anybody ever organized a (surprise) party just for our special friends?

I think we've already lost the element of (surprise).

I'll be driving down from MI early Fri morning, and will probably be taking another Binrev'r from the area, so if anyone along the way needs a ride, you're more than welcome. Only one spot though, as I have a tiny car. So if you're bringing a bunch of stuff, you're on your own.

Other prerequisites:

A. Must shower before riding

B. Must not eat beans before riding

C. Must not be a stupid jerk

D. Must give good road head

E. Must not be serial rapist/killer (regular rapist/killer is o.k., but please notify me ahead of time)

I'll post my route sometime if anyone's interested

Edited by mad_jimi_simi