Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raven

wardialing

6 posts in this topic

ok herez how it rollz me being new to the whole phreaking thing and generaly anything related to phones i dont know much. So that being said can any one help explain how to wardial, ya know all the steps, tools, etc.... or even websites or books i would have to read and not be lazy would kick some ass.

-raven-

just a point of clarification: Do you mean wardialing as in the traditional sense (hacking)? Or wardialing as it releates to phreaking (aka: scanning)?

either would be cool

just explain your favorite type and thats cool for me

Raven

wardialing in phreaking trems is scanning. when people say wardialing they 90% of the time are speaking of ToneLoc, it is used the most(i belive) its a program that u setup to dial a series of numbers to see whats on the other line. its illegal to just dial it up and see what happens so peeps usually attach these on old arse laptops to the lines on pay phones. you might wanna do a lil google on this to find out more. its nothing complex really just autodialing :P .

Now for the hacking one i dunno, thats new to me :roll: .

ERROR!

hand scanning is way more fun, and you can find cooler stuff than with software.

i'll show you some cool 928 numbers sometime.

a note:

if your computer is stupid like mine and your modem is on com 3, then another decent wardialer is PhoneTag.

as far as dialing numbers with a pc to see what's there, i don't think it's illegal if you don't try to penetrate the system. most often it would ask for a password, and as long as you just look and disconnect without trying to guess the pass, you shouldn't have committed an offense. of course, this may vary by location, and most certainly would make for a great debate with attornies, et. al.

as far as wardialing for hacking, well, i believe the above paragraph would sum that up, but i agree with 813_Error, until you know for sure the laws regarding dial-in computer access, it's probably best to use an old laptop on a public phone line somewhere other than your house. be sure you can ditch/stash the laptop somewhere if you need to, or if you have money, just have a good drop spot, like off a bridge or something. heh.

if you want to mess around to get the feel of dialing up, try connecting to your isp with hyperterminal. i don't believe they would say much, considering you are paying for access to that system, and you have a username/pass that will work. it's really interesting, some of the stuff you can find out using this technique. let me know if you discover anything cool.