Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unity

It's overlay time in Alberta!

3 posts in this topic

www.cnac.ca/npa_codes/relief/common/documents/DRAFT_NPA_587_Planning_Letter.pdf+587+NPA+alberta&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=ca

So it's going to be 10D here next year.

Also, in case you haven't heard, NPA 250 and 604 (BC, Canada) is going to get a province-wide overlay of the 778 NPA. It's a really convuluted plan, though.

The 778 overlay is going to work like so:

http://www.cnac.ca/NPA778_scocap/scocap_778.htm

It's a definate hack. I'm not impressed. Oh well, good thing it doesn't matter! >_< Anyways. 778 is going to have some messed up routing in a bit. More to play with.

So if I read this right, they're hacking the routing so that new 778 numbers in particular (either mainland or island) regions will be able to be called without using on the 778 prefix.

Allocation of numbers in 778 will be done so that these don't overlap with same region's 250 numbers, so that even more confusion on whether you'll need to dial the 778 prefix or not to get the correct number!

Couple this with my personal #1 peave and we're sure to have a lot of confused people:

--

'We're sorry, it is not necessary to dial a 1 or 0 when dialing this number. Hang up a try again.'

--

How the FUCK am I supposed to know which numbers (not just area codes, but the 1st 3 digits of the 7 digit number) are local or long distance, JUST CONNECT THE FUCKING CALL!!!!!!

[sorry, I'll try to calm down....]

Munge.

Edited by mungewell

So if I read this right, they're hacking the routing so that new 778 numbers in particular (either mainland or island) regions will be able to be called without using on the 778 prefix.

Yes

Allocation of numbers in 778 will be done so that these don't overlap with same region's 250 numbers, so that even more confusion on whether you'll need to dial the 778 prefix or not to get the correct number!

I'm having a super hard time figuring it out myself. What they're saying is that if you're dialing from 250, you won't ever have to use 10D when calling a 778 number. 250 is going to retain 7D calling for a while.

Also, interesting note: In my area, we don't get 'We're sorry, it is not necessary to dial a 1 or 0 when dialing this number. Hang up a try again.' We get 'It is not necessary to dial a 1 or 0 when dialing this number. We are now connecting your call...' And they'll just put you through as if you dialed 10D instead of 11D.