xof7

Texteditor

14 posts in this topic

Hi. I am looking for a text editor that can handle files larger then one gb. The exact file size of the file that I am trying to edit is 1.56 gigs.

I have tried Textpad with no luck as it always says "Disk full while accessing c:\filename.txt".

The system I am running is definately capable as it has 2gb of ram, e6420, 300gb sata hd.

Any suggestions?

VI can handle up to 4GB I think. Ultra Edit should do the job as well.

Since you mentioned TextPad, and I use TextPad when I'm using XP, I'll suggest the other editors I find myself using under Win32: EditPad Pro (which may support super large files, I can't recall) and what I use to edit super-large files -- JuJuEdit. JuJuEdit also has syntax highlighting so it comes in handy when you're programming, or trying to fiddle with program files (it has a hex mode) as well. Anyway:

http://www.jujusoft.com/software/edit/index.html

Will definitely do it. Handles up to 2GB files.

Have fun ;).

EDIT: I should warn you that it looks a lot like notepad, which to me is kinda ugly. You might consider UltraEdit as well, but for intents and purposes, it costs money (there is a trial, tho)...

Edited by Abhayaa

I'm a fan of Notepad++.

You're going to need a lot of RAM for that. And just imagine the disk writes required if you want to add bytes near the beginning of the file.

Depending on the edits you need to make, a hex editor might be better suited. Some of them load or mmap the entire file into memory. Others just load it as needed. Look for one that can load the file as needed, and the size of the file won't matter. I suppose it's possible for text editors to do this, but they're not often used on such large files. Also, if the edits can be automated, look into sed (or Perl, for that matter) to do the edits for you.

I'd forgotten all about Notepad++. Weird. I used to love that program. Huh. I'll have to go back and download it off of sforge. :)

BTW did you consider using 'split' and chopping the file up into a handful of files or so, then merging them back together once the edits are done? (it'd take care of some of the memory issues).

Edited by Abhayaa

What textfile is that. 1GB damn!

Rainbow tables would be my guess...

Whenever I have dealt with RT's, I generally have avoided editing them at all.

As for programs, I would have to agree with VI or Notepad++. I've yet to try it out, but i have also heard good things about Notepad2.

IIRC Notepad++ will work. I use it to open large logfiles at work routinely (although `less` works much better).

i use Notepad++ too, i don't like the default settings, but once it's setup the way i like it it's really good, i think i got it after someone here mentioned it can get round the .nix carriage return 'problem'. i generated a really big text file the other day and Notepad++ opened it without any probolems.

All editors are just emacs clones! :P

The ICFP contest this year had alien "DNA" in a txt file that was 7.2MB. Any good editor should only load what is needed.