df99

Joe Engressia A.K.A. Joe the Whistler A.K.A. Joybubbles passed away

54 posts in this topic

This was posted on the Collectors' Net mailing list. I've been unable to confirm.

I spoke with Joe several times over the years. Just saw a video clip of him dialing a number by whistling 2600 pulses into a phone back in the good old days. He was an interesting guy.

==========================================================

"Joe Engressia, A.K.A. Joe the Whistler, A.K.A. Joybubbles passed away in his apartment approximately two days ago. He was found by management personnel after a phone friend grew concerned when he hadn't heard from him in several days. His family in Florida was notified. He was fifty-eight years old."

"As most of you know, his ordeals with the phone company over the blue box issue were noted in the October 1971 Esquire Magazine article "Secrets of the Little Blue Box." Recent interests included humorous telephone postings called Phlogs on voicemail services. He wrote Telephiles for Playback Magazine. His interests also included children's literature and paraphernalia."

Edited by df99

"Joe Engressia, A.K.A. Joe the Whistler, A.K.A. Joybubbles passed away in his apartment approximately two days ago. He was found by management personnel after a phone friend grew concerned when he hadn't heard from him in several days. His family in Florida was notified. He was fifty-eight years old."

Crap. I spoke to this guy many many years ago... He was a great guy, and will be missed. Thanks for posting this.

Edited by Abhayaa

Here's the link to the video of Joe whistling away. This is in the days when long distance trunks with no DC continuity used 2600 pulses not only for supervision (on hook/off hook), but also to repeat the dial pulses. Later, 2600 was used only for supervision and the Blue Box MF digits for dialing. You can hear the MF of the next tandem link after Joe pulse dials with 2600.

Joe is at 4 minutes:40 seconds into the show. Highly recommended viewing. It has many of the Esquire phreaks. Captain Crunch is even shown making blue box calls with Steve Wozniak from a pay phone (simulated for the camera, I'm sure!).

http://www.phreakvids.com/TLC_Hackers_Computer_Outlaws.avi

I've been listening to his Stories & Stuff line for a while now, and I've been meaning to talk to him for a while now; he kept up with the modern network, and even found a lot of cool things, including the Livengood switch. I guess that conversation isn't going to happen...

This is for you, Joybubbles <whistles 2600 hz>

Thats sad, I wish his family well. I believe him and BlakeOPs was close, I'm sure he could confirm it.

I couldn't find an obituary for him. but I checked wikipedia and someone added this at some point today, "Joybubbles apparently found dead in his apartment yesterday.", it was later removed.

For some reason the idea that he could die never really struck me. The legends in the field always just seemed immortal to me, you know?

Wow, this is sad.

I live in Minneapolis, where Joybubbles lived the last part of his life, but never met him. There is an archive of his show here, I have a few shows to add yet:

http://blakeops.com/storiesandstuff/

I kinda wish he would have written a book. Someone should, before everybody who was around and active back then passes away....

I remember listening to his entry on the Wawina message board.

Such an interesting and caring individual will be missed. I wonder if his "Stories and Stuff" line is still up...

EDIT: I can't seem to connect. :(

612-953-5555

Edited by Perf-149

Let's wait for an official confirmation, I wonder what was COD because he wasn't such old

in the meantime : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joybubbles

I respect him for what he has done for phreaking community but on the other hand he was very 'different' kind of person

and it amazes me how much he didn't want to grow up and became an ordained minister of his own Church of Eternal Childhood

Just heard the news last night. At least I got to talk to him on one occasion.

As far as his stories go, I remember way back he used to do them on a Laser Voicemail box. That's the second phone phreak I know that died.

That's the second phone phreak I know that died.

Yeah within less than a month.

I would like to add descriptions to the stories and stuff recordings before I tell Jason Scott to archive them permanently on his site, but I simply do not have time. If someone is motivated to do so, email me a description or two with the date of the recording at blakeops@gmail.com. Every recording I have is now on the site: http://blakeops.com/storiesandstuff/

Edited by BlakeOPS

I spoke to Joybubbles' mother last night and confirmed the bad news.

There is no memorial service planned, but she did pass on a snail-mail address where sympathy cards or brief remembrances of Joybubbles can be sent. She asked that this address not be posted, but I will be happy to privately email it anyone who wants it.

I have been working on a book on the history of phone phreaking for the last couple of years. I managed to interview Joybubbles for it several times... but it's still very hard to accept that he's gone. If anyone has stories about him, or has suggestions for other people I should talk to about the history of phone phreaking, please contact me.

Phil Lapsley

That's the second phone phreak I know that died.

Yeah within less than a month.

Who's the first?

Let's wait for an official confirmation, I wonder what was COD because he wasn't such old

in the meantime : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joybubbles

I respect him for what he has done for phreaking community but on the other hand he was very 'different' kind of person

and it amazes me how much he didn't want to grow up and became an ordained minister of his own Church of Eternal Childhood

Yeah, I remember hearing him refer to his "playgroup" on one of his radio shows.

I feel that there are many positive qualities of children which he tried to recapture. A natural curiosity about how things work and an openness to learning "for fun" are of course the first things that come to mind. There are adults who retain childlike qualities such as this, but the average "9 to 5 job working adult" does not. I think that is what he was trying to make people realize. You've got to figure he was already very "different" due to being blind so the extra "weirdness" was probably a lot more minor than it would be for most people. Probably more people would follow his philosophy if they didn't have so much to lose from a social/weirdness standpoint.

pppPhrank

Wow, this really caught me by surprise... I've heard a lot about Joybubbles.

This is upsetting :(.

Does anyone have a recent-ish picture of him? A couple of us would like to make memorial shirts for Toorcon.

Also, was he at Hope6? I talked to a sightless fellow who seemed like he could have been about that age, but I never caught his name. Or maybe I did, there's giant black-out gaps in my memory from Hope6...

Does anyone have a recent-ish picture of him? A couple of us would like to make memorial shirts for Toorcon.

I think this would be one of most recent

http://blip.tv/file/154757

I spoke to Joybubbles' mother last night and confirmed the bad news.

There is no memorial service planned, but she did pass on a snail-mail address where sympathy cards or brief remembrances of Joybubbles can be sent. She asked that this address not be posted, but I will be happy to privately email it anyone who wants it.

I have been working on a book on the history of phone phreaking for the last couple of years. I managed to interview Joybubbles for it several times... but it's still very hard to accept that he's gone. If anyone has stories about him, or has suggestions for other people I should talk to about the history of phone phreaking, please contact me.

Phil Lapsley

I could have swore he mentioned that both of his parents have passed away on one of his installments of Stories and Stuff.