Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dare To Imagine

Spot the Undercover Reporter.

70 posts in this topic

Yeah. I heard about it. Quite amusing.

DefCon staff lured her to a large hall telling her that the Spot the Fed contest was in session and that she could get a picture of an undercover federal agent at the contest. When she sat down, Jeff Moss, DefCon's founder, announced that they were changing the game. Instead of Spot the Fed, they were going to play Spot the Undercover Reporter and then announced, "And there's one in here right now." Madigan, realizing she'd been had, jumped from her seat and bolted out the door with reporters carrying cameras chasing after her through the parking lot and to her car.

Beautiful :lol: Don't go undercover if you don't want to be outed in a stadium with hundreds of people ;)

Wish I could have been there :cry:

and BrakeDanceJ, who is it? :huh:

It is a proud day for us Chicagoans.

Oh noes.

Yeah, everyone was yelling to have her lynched in the room. She's gonna have bad dreams for quite a while... Totally the wrong person to be in there with us acting all "undercover" and stuff.

-- live from Defcon 15. :)

Hahaha, she deleted her LinkedIn profile pretty fast. :lol:

Just for the lulz, here's a mirror of what Google Cache got on it before that gets taken down, like the cache of her Facebook and Myspace profiles

http://thoughtphreaker.omghax.ca/madigan/linkedin/

Hee, she's never going to live this down.

EDIT: I'll have to ask her if she'd like to dance the next time I'm in Manhattan :)

http://www.nudm.org/alumni.php

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Oh wow... she is going to feel the wrath from this one for a while.

She shouldn't have so much stuff on the net about herself -and- do the show she's doing now. Just the couple simple queries I put into the great google came back with enough stuff directly attached to her that she'll have to go into "virtual hiding".

So kids, if you're not going to do something smart... do something right.

Id love to go to defcon but theres 2 problems

1 im from the u.k

2 my mum would go ape shit if she knew i hacked

Because if there is any group of people you definitely don't want to mess with, its real hackers.

Oh, and fundamental Islamics.

Oh, and North Korea.

Oh, and Columbian Drug Lords.

Oh, and Chuck Norris.

Don't know if ya'll found it on youtube yet :blink:

Pretty bad place to want to mess around with folks hehehe

Edited by Poet

Don't know if ya'll found it on youtube yet :blink:

Pretty bad place to want to mess around with folks hehehe

Meet my friend Alk3.

Oh noes.

Id love to go to defcon but theres 2 problems

1 im from the u.k

2 my mum would go ape shit if she knew i hacked

1 Don't worry, we've gotten over that silly Revolutionary War thing years ago, unless you're still pissed off about that stupid tea party.

2 Download a bunch of on-line coupons and change the value from 10% off to 90% off as detailed in 2600 magazine, when she finds out you're getting her stuff from dirt cheap she'll never complain about your hacking!

Wow haw small did she feel in there,There only there to try and make the defcon people look bad and the people who attend good one guy's nice keep the dirty reporter's out.!!

Ffs wish i could have been there oh well guna save for next year..

Further proof for my reasons why I haven't been to a con in many many many many years. Woman is gonna have to deal with a LOT of wrath. Dumb chick. Don't tell me she actually registered under her real name, too? Please, don't tell me that. STUPIDITY.

(unrelated but why do I have this awful feeling that they're gonna have another HOPE after the LAST one and call it "Hope Springs Eternal"? *shiver*)

EDIT: Side note, if people want to make the DefCon people look bad, it's not that hard -- you just have to approach it in a half-intelligent manner. Like, maybe explaining how DT ganked millions of bucks for the rights to the thing from the other organizers (names won't be named) who'd done as much if not more work in making it happen. I have no fond feelings for DT.

Edited by Abhayaa

would it have really been that hard to get a press badge? i mean what an idiot... it will be funny to see how all of this plays out

Further proof for my reasons why I haven't been to a con in many many many many years. Woman is gonna have to deal with a LOT of wrath. Dumb chick. Don't tell me she actually registered under her real name, too? Please, don't tell me that. STUPIDITY.

(unrelated but why do I have this awful feeling that they're gonna have another HOPE after the LAST one and call it "Hope Springs Eternal"? *shiver*)

EDIT: Side note, if people want to make the DefCon people look bad, it's not that hard -- you just have to approach it in a half-intelligent manner. Like, maybe explaining how DT ganked millions of bucks for the rights to the thing from the other organizers (names won't be named) who'd done as much if not more work in making it happen. I have no fond feelings for DT.

ganked? ahah. thats straight up gangsta. and honestly, this con is so old now. its not anything new. why is the press still hammering the hacking community?

Easy: Because it pays.

It only costs 20 bucks - at most - to get a press pass online, mailed to you the next day, using the name you choose.

You would think she would have at least used a fake name, been a little ninja about it.

Ummm....No wonder there aren't many women who show up at hacker conventions, a nice looking blonde lady walks in and you guys chase her out like a pack of wild dogs. What if Anjolina Jolie walked in, I bet you guys would have boo'd her for being in the movie "hackers"

What you could have done is feed her mis-information. Like if she walked into a room full of people on computers typing away, tell her the CIA hired them to help capture bin laden. Or create your own new report, have a fake reporter stand in front of a video clip of burning or exploding buildings and have him announce that "New York city has been utterly destroyed by mad hackers that are pissed off at the negative press they've been getting...film at 11", and then show it on a big screen at the convention like it's happening real time.

Ummm....No wonder there aren't many women who show up at hacker conventions, a nice looking blonde lady walks in and you guys chase her out like a pack of wild dogs. What if Anjolina Jolie walked in, I bet you guys would have boo'd her for being in the movie "hackers"

What you could have done is feed her mis-information. Like if she walked into a room full of people on computers typing away, tell her the CIA hired them to help capture bin laden. Or create your own new report, have a fake reporter stand in front of a video clip of burning or exploding buildings and have him announce that "New York city has been utterly destroyed by mad hackers that are pissed off at the negative press they've been getting...film at 11", and then show it on a big screen at the convention like it's happening real time.

Yeah, thats good .. .Feed her mis-information, then she goes back and really writes a great story about how hackers are even more evil then people already think. There was no good way to end this story .. She fucked up, and I bet she feels stupid. But the press does it all the time ... You see them running up to get the first question, or to get a good story. They know the drill ... Hackers did exactly what they would have done. Hell, They rush after football players and congress with questions. Why can't we do the same thing when they try and do stupid shit at an event that we put on? FUCK HER ... she got pwnD, and she knew it could have happened ... And it did ...

This is absolutely incorrect. She wasn't hounded because she was female (nice looking or not). She was hounded because she misrepresented herself -- which is something that we are being constantly accused of doing/being. She should be held just as accountable for her actions as we are: no more, no less. If she was attending as a lay audience member, too, that would have been one thing. She was recording people without their knowledge and probably against their will. This is a violation of privacy. Maybe one to be expected nowadays, true (see: why I don't go to cons), but still, in combination with the misrepresentation factor, it was unethical. Not that anybody expects ethics from journalists, but STILL.

again, Ummm......Does anyone see the humor in the fact that she tried a little Social Engineering to get into a Hackers conference. Yes she screwed it up but next year maybe she won't register under her own name. And maybe wear a wig.

Oh, and the part about women not attending hackers conferences because of .....oh well....forget it. it was supposed to be a joke. (can anyone come up with a blonde joke?)

If I read these forums correctly most people go to have fun, go to bars, talk about their exploits, and hang signs on hotel emergency exit doors saying "what alarmed it". So she probably should not have wasted her time going to the conference but instead should have gone to the bars and after hours parties as she could have found out more information. ,