swatdojo

Program idea

10 posts in this topic

I wanted to know if this idea for a program is possible:

Since a windows desktop can pretty much go as far left or right or up as you can hook up monitors, would it be possible to create a program that would, after pressing a key sequence under the ctl alt modifier, bring the visible desktop on your single monitor computer, say, "15 monitor units right"?

Sort of like having it be a "second" desktop "15 *invisible* monitors" to the right, only accessible through that key sequence.

If that's at all possible, then would you be able to create a sort of security shell around that area so that you couldn't necessarily go into my computer and view the desktop files on that far away place without a password?

This is just an idea i had for a future project for learning purposes once i get a good grasp on c++ but i want to know whether or not its plausible.

oh and if this is not clear, just tell me and i'll try to explain it better

swatdojo

Edited by swatdojo

thats pretty much what i was going for but is there a way to make that keycode accessible only in that program?

EDIT: actually after installing it i realized its not what i'm thinking of, (see post below)

Edited by swatdojo

Like password protecting it? I don't think so.

hmm i also just realized its not what i was thinking of. I installed it and its functionality is for multiple windows on different desktops. I'm thinking of a new desktop that has completely different files and shortcuts than the main one.

Its sort of like if you drag a large amount of shortcuts right, some of them stay off the screen. I want to see if its possible to create a program that would tell the main monitor to think that it's actually a second monitor and to display as such (causing it to display the shortcuts you dragged to the right)

but you would be able to define which monitor the program would tell it to be, such as the 7th monitor left.

does that make more sense?

Aside from shortcuts, this is exactly how most sane virtual desktops work.

Couldn't you just password protect a directory somewhere on your hard drive? That seems a little more secure than the sliding desktop. I don't know how this works, and I am not a programmer, but I have an idea.

Make it so that the desktop that is "15 invisible monitors to the right" displays the desktop shortcuts from a different user account on windows. You know how there can be multiple users, and each one has his own shortcuts? Make it so that shortcuts from a different account are displayed in there. I don't know how you would make it look like a desktop, with a background and all that stuff but its worth a try.

Under linux, alt+f1, alt+F2, ..., alt+F7 switches between virtual terminals. Then if you run a window managers that supports multiple desktops, you can have multiple desktops in virtual terminals. But of course you need to start X twice, which usually causes problems.

Under linux, alt+f1, alt+F2, ..., alt+F7 switches between virtual terminals. Then if you run a window managers that supports multiple desktops, you can have multiple desktops in virtual terminals. But of course you need to start X twice, which usually causes problems.

I think he is talking about windows, but maybe he was just using that as an example.