Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hexahubris

xbox into server?

6 posts in this topic

ok, i know alot of you are gonna say, "google it." but, i dont want to, because you guys>google.

what i want to do with my xbox is hook it up to my wireless router, and be able to connect to it on my laptop and upload and download files on it.

sorta like a wireless fileserver. i know this can be done, i just dont know the best way of going about it.

any help would be mucho grande appreciato

Google it!

Although personally [haven't tried] I'd put Gentoo Linux on it and be done. Full-blown 'puter with whatever you want. There's lots of docs for this on the distro's site.

yeah, but all i get are things on how to turn it into a XBOX mediacenter box, which actually sounds interesting, but, the tutorials ive seen require you to buy a bunch of stuff. and i have no money. do you think i could just burn XBOX mediacenter to a disk and like, boot it up on there or something?

yeah, but all i get are things on how to turn it into a XBOX mediacenter box, which actually sounds interesting, but, the tutorials ive seen require you to buy a bunch of stuff. and i have no money. do you think i could just burn XBOX mediacenter to a disk and like, boot it up on there or something?

I want to do this too for my xbox. Since all I use it for now is watching movies, i think its worth doing it. I just googled it and you can do a hardware mod or a software mod to install linux. Either way require a bunch of shit that I dont have time or money to do...

I've modded a few xboxen. If your can't afford a modchip, lookup how to do the softmods (it seems xbox-scene.com is still the place to find tuts). IMO, xboxmediacenter is the way to go. You can stream videos/music over your local network (great for torrentjunkies like me), and you can ftp into it and stash files.

But yeah, I'll agree with Alk3, it is quite time-consuming. I took extra time to be extra careful because there is a signifigant chance you'll brick your xbox.