biosphear

How did you start out

19 posts in this topic

How did you all get started in hacking.

And not just software hacking but also hardware hacking.

I started when I was 16 really.

Just always loved know how and why things work and then just got puled into it.

My first hack was prank I did at my school. All the computers in the library, at 10:03 am, turned into a blue screen of death. It was a fake BSOD but it was funny to see the techs running around. :voteyes: :ranaway:

Now what say you???

I think I was 5 when I started taking things apart. My grandfather was pretty cool and started bringing me home tools, wire snippers soldering iron ect ect. It all started there I imagine.

Coolest thing ever is when i discovered i could cut a wire open and use a thin piece of copper to cut a crayon (and a bunch of other things) when i connected it to a D cell battery. My grandfather worked at an idustral supply place so he used to bring me home all sorts of weird electrical gadgets.

At the age of 11. I asked my parents if I could have my own computer. I was told "Only if you build one!" Well, In their faces!! I came into contact with a man named John Milligan while living in Southern California (He's Super 1337) With his help I was able to build my first computer, and spent most of my after school time in his warehouse. Good times, good times. He got me started with all the good stuff... taught me all about programming and hardware. I think I need to make a phone call.

I started out on an old school Apple Macintosh coding C when I was about 6. Didn't do much hacking till I started gaming, played an old game back in the day called Jedi Knight-Dark Forces II when I was around 9 or 10. Anyway, so that game was based on C, and it had action/animation/object scripts in .cog files. I realized that the .cog's were based in C, so I started making my machine gun shoot concussion missiles and shit like that. Eventually I moved on to Buffer Overflows and Database injection - also escape string vulns and other stuff. The more I learned about coding, the more I learned about hacking. My parents used to ground me a lot and put local restrictive programs on the PC to keep me off. I started using keyloggers and stuff like that to get around it - eventually writing my own circumvention software etc. Then I went to military school, had a hayday and got kicked out. Learned a lot from having the hayday though :) After that I joined binrev, and I've been learning ever since. (that's the short version ;))

[KIDS, SKIDDIES, and NOOBS: I DONT ENDORSE JACKING WITH YOUR SCHOOL. IT IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR GROWTH IN SOCIETY AS AN ADULT. STUFF FOLLOWS YOU AROUND FOR THINGS OTHER PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND. EVEN IF YOU JUST CHECKED YOUR EMAIL, IF YOUR EMAIL WAS BLOXORED, THEY'LL SEE THAT AS MALICIOUS.]

Well i started out n a TI-99, that I got from my gramps. He was the one that got me all excited about computers and techno types. I got involved with text based games on the TI, and finally got a personal Computer years later. The first hack was not so much a hack, but falling into data that was poorly managed. At the time, the school I went to had Teacher computers in the room. Well I happened to play around with one, and found that a teachers name was the username, and the password was thier last name. And well the information on the machines were Grade Reports, and student evaluations. Teachers thought these machines were secure, so after filling in Student Evaluations, they saved them to the files, and printed them out to send to the Staff and Parents. So needless to say, Yes I changed some, Yes I got Paid, and Yes I got expelled ... So Yes, Be Careful on the School Computers, as they do check things, and some teachers and System Admins are curious too.

I got started hacking by the most cliche thing. I watched that movies Hackers when I was like 9, and thought that was the coolest shit. So I went to my parents computer and just started looking through it. Just clicking random shit, hoping it would unleash things. Found my way to Google.com and spent a good 3-4 years simply Googling for old hacker textfiles. I found all the cool shit, too. LOD/H, Dark Knight files, read a lot about hacking over modems, shit like that. Started learning HTML and C++ when I was either 11 or 12 (can't remember) and finally found the awesome idea of forums. A centralized place where people just like me could share their love and help one another.

My first real hack though, was when I was in about 5th grade. Just getting around the firewalls/restrictions at my school. Helping kids do whatever they wanted. Simply being curious and michevious.

I had always been curious about computers and whatnot. But when i was 12 years old i got my first issue of 2600 and everything took off. I thought it was so cool that people knew so much stuff. So i started learning HTML and C++ then i started moving onto Python and the likes. Then after about 2 years on the computer i discovered the magical world of phreaking, and thats my main passion ever since. My first "hack" was writing simple batch files to delete directories at school. Either that or when i took apart my calculator in the 5th grade and flipped the screen so the numbers were white and the screen was black. That one was a real hit on the school yard.

well, when i was very young i used to take apart watches and clocks and put them back together. i was fascinated by the moving parts and being able to make them work after removing all of the parts. as i got older i think i first got my taste for computers (other than oregon trail and number munchers) in 8th grade on an apple iie. i don't remember what i was doing on it but it was in school and of course there was no wysiwyg. we got our first family computer in 9th grade. it was a canon computer... yes they did make pc's and it was junk. i spent hours on it. i learned the basic's of pc dos and then ms dos 5 and eventually upgraded the os to windows 3.11 for workgroups... well at least that's what i put on it. then i met a friend in school who introduced me to phreaking. in 10th grade i was thoroughly introduced to such things as red boxing, beige boxing, and a number of other less honerable things we did together and that i learned to do on my own.

i'm glad i'm an adult now and have more morals than i did then.

People new to the forums aren't quite familiar with topic resurrection, but eh, o well.

I really got started when I got my TI83 calculator and programed games with my best friend on it. Then I started picking up programming books and loved it ever since.

i started cus of 2 things

1. hatred and revenge (cool people are so cruel)

2.fascination of mi5, mi6,cia and seeing hacking films.

Being rather old, I started hacking with electronics before computers were really available - 'build a radio' kit, etc.

I managed to convince my parents to buy a computer, we got a Vic-20 as it had a 'real keyboard'. Many late night writing simple basic programs, got into the inner workings with 'The Vic Revealed' book and 6502 assembler. Memory mapped graphics, perpherial interfacing, etc.

A couple of dorky friends and I used to write text based adventure games, etc. on school's Dragon 32.

Missed out completely on BBS :-( (in the UK there just wasn't the scene).

Got introduced to Unix (serial terms on a Gould) at college, sys-admin was cool and he let us get away with quite a bit. He did take the time to explain multi-tasking after I ran the following program which kinda made the machine unusable.

---

main ()

{

while (1) fork();

}

---

Did electronics at college and now work in that field, still enjoy hacking around - can't look at a gadget without wondering whether the back comes off easily and if the processor is 'Linux enabled'.

Munge.

I'm kinda ashamed with how I started out: sub7 on my mom's work computer. Ha!

From there I started to learn C and kept with it for five years.

I found a "hacker" BBS back in 1990, I think I was 12. and built a red box, from then on I fell in love with the idea of modifying hardware. I think I over clocked every Computer I could get my hands on for a few years.

Back in about 1997 I worked as a night supervisor for a telemarketing company. In the QC Department that I supervised nightly reports were done in excel on a Win3.11 machine. Thinking it was a drag to be at work doing reports on Sunday I purchased my first computer, a compaq presario just to go home and do the dastardly reports while watching football.

After that I really got into computers and spent months researching how the internet worked, it really blew my mind. Started learning HTML, system building, and even tried a little programming.

I finally hung up the telemarketing gig to get a job at aol (lot less pay but a way to get into the business) At AOL I was able to get full internet access and would spend my time reading various technology/hacking materials while on tech-support calls.

A few months after I landed a gig with a local ISP and they encouraged me to learn PHP. That did not last long though because I got canned for "hacking" an NT box... guess I did too much reading when working for AOL....

Edited by tekio

mom got me a computer and said not to end up like those kids on tv she was reffering to some guys who got busted in the 80s h

I was about 12 years old and my older brother was in charge of the computer. It had Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.22. He added a bunch of games that were only accessible through the command prompt. He also added some security program to prevent anybody in the family from doing something that would screw up the computer.

Mostly, I only used the computer to play games, but I always needed to ask him to start them up for me because he needed to exit out of Windows (disallowed without security password) and run them from the command line. But he wasn't always around to do this for me. So, I started poking around -- not really having any idea what I was doing. After a browsing through the file system some I found the executable that ran the security program. I also had discovered object packager. I had no idea what object packager was for, but I did discover that it allowed me to run programs. I figured I'd try to run the security program to see if it would bring up an interface to allow me to turn it off. Well, instead of doing that, it just crashed Windows and left me at a DOS prompt. Good enough!

Then I realized something: I have no idea how to use DOS. I noticed a Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.22 Manual on the shelf near the computer. So, I read it cover to cover. From the manual, I learned that I could make the computer do all sorts of cool things. Soon enough, learning what else I could make the computer do became more fun than the games I so earnestly set out to play in the first place.

The rest is history.

There where DOS pcs at my first hacking age. I remember putting a tea spoon in an old 286 an getting my first 12volt shock from it. Never left my computer screen since then. I guess I was about 6 years old.