Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SecretedService

Garage Door Opener Brute Forcer?

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there have been any changes in garage door opener protocol? Or is it still the 1-byte binary code it was before? If so, it would be easy to make a circuit that used brute force to open the door, using off-the-shelf components, no PIC's or anything.

IIRC, the current garage door openers work over one of four different frequencies with a 1 byte binary code. I could be wrong, though.

Old openers suck. With any decent older TV remote you can open several brands at will.

Sears is currently selling ones where you need to use a special opener, that changes the key and frequencies used every time you use it. With them, its either a matter of sheer luck to get the right two factor authenication combo out of billions of possibilities of binary data key and frequencies used, or technical ability to sniff every frequencies at once AND sniff the key being used at the same time in order to capture the data and repeat it back later.

The only reason you would want to do this anyway is to steal somebody's stuff; Theft is not cool and if your stupid enough to do, it most states - I know mine does - allow for the owner of the property to shoot you in the head at will fully legal under that law in order to protect private property, life, limb.

I do not suggest you attempt to steal somebodies else's stuff. I would personally happily shoot anybody who attempts to do this to my garage door, and I consider myself nicer then others I know.

The only reason you would want to do this anyway is to steal somebody's stuff

The only reason?

Old openers suck. With any decent older TV remote you can open several brands at will.

Sears is currently selling ones where you need to use a special opener, that changes the key and frequencies used every time you use it. With them, its either a matter of sheer luck to get the right two factor authenication combo out of billions of possibilities of binary data key and frequencies used, or technical ability to sniff every frequencies at once AND sniff the key being used at the same time in order to capture the data and repeat it back later.

The only reason you would want to do this anyway is to steal somebody's stuff; Theft is not cool and if your stupid enough to do, it most states - I know mine does - allow for the owner of the property to shoot you in the head at will fully legal under that law in order to protect private property, life, limb.

I do not suggest you attempt to steal somebodies else's stuff. I would personally happily shoot anybody who attempts to do this to my garage door, and I consider myself nicer then others I know.

While I too would open fire on any asshole attempting to step a baby toe into my house without permission; I do disagree with everything *else* you've said.

For some time now, I *too* have been interested in this topic. I'm the LAST person that would EVER steal anything. That's one of the three things I CANNOT do in my moral code. It's right about vandalize on my list.

However, I would love to experiment and build such a device; out of pure curiosity, and I'm not even the original poster.

Please re-work your thinking on that part.

EDIT: Maybe your skepticism is based on the fact that this is the poster's second post. I am weary of that too.

Edited by BrakeDanceJ

Okay the only problem I have with this, I'll be honest, is that these things almost always trickle down to people who don't know anything and only want to use it, and people who are interested in things like this (see: US), to make money. Didn't used to be the case, but this isn't fifteen years ago -- and with the net what it is now, I actually do hesitate discussing this in this kind of forum.

And that sucks.

/ab

It would be interesting to have a receiver set up to monitor for 'code flood' to shut down the system (the garage door opener) for a few minutes in case someone did try to do this... maybe even activate a video-camera to record any activity in the driveway/street...

I've actually been thinking about the same thing, for quite some time. My garage door opener has a switch....dang, I forget what its called, but it has (i think) 9 switches in it, each either on or off. I was thinking of how to replace this, but the only thing I could think of is hooking it up to a computer, through a microcontroller, which im not particularly specialized in <_< .

[edit]

I too have to agree with BrakeDanceJ (post #5), as I never would really steal anything, even if i did have the balls to do it.

Edited by metguru

I've actually been thinking about the same thing, for quite some time. My garage door opener has a switch....dang, I forget what its called, but it has (i think) 9 switches in it, each either on or off. I was thinking of how to replace this, but the only thing I could think of is hooking it up to a computer, through a microcontroller, which im not particularly specialized in <_< .

[edit]

I too have to agree with BrakeDanceJ (post #5), as I never would really steal anything, even if i did have the balls to do it.

I believe you're referring to the 'dip' switchs

You might want to look here... http://www.electro-tech-online.com/electro...-hacker.html.... there's a better schematic out there,... but it'll give you some ideas... & you don't need a uC... could easily build this on a bread-board.

and hackers only want to destroy...

back when g4 wasnt retarded, on the screen savers, wasnt there a tutorial on brute forcing garage door locks? i saw a video on there i think of a guy going down a street and opening every garage in his neighborhood.

ive been interested in doing that, but it would be kinda hard, from what i recall, the channel to open from a remote goes like this:

+ + + + + + + + +

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

- - - - - - - - -

Simply: 9 switches with 3 possible spots: 3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3x3 = 19683 possible settings to test...

If you wanted to brute froce the numeric pad, it would take longer, with 10,000 possible settings...

this would still take a while since you would personally have to punch in 10,000 codes, so youre better off finding a hardware mod for it. i havent found anything releated to that yet.........

Edited by bigggj