Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity

BinRev Radio in ogg format?

4 posts in this topic

I'm running Fedora Core 7 on my laptop and have been able to get everything set up the way I like it. The only problem I'm having is that the mp3 format is no longer supported. Installing the mp3 plug-ins doesn't fix the problem, Fedora Core 7 removes the codec and displays a patent conflict message on why they can not allow mp3 formats to be used. So I was wondering if their was a way to save the BinRev episodes in ogg format?

Edit: as soon as i made this post my amarok install finished and it plays the mp3 files. but i would still like to know if their was a way to save the radio episodes as flac or ogg so that i don't have to violate any possible patent issues, but it looks like the patent laws being enforced don't apply to home users.

Edited by Affinity

My apologies if your distro doesn't support what has to be the most ubiquitous audio format on the planet. There's probably some script or program to add support for mp3, much like Automatix does for Ubuntu. It's such a common thing, it's probably #1 on their FAQ.

I suppose you could download the mp3 and re-encode to ogg, but that would require an mp3 decoder which would completely defeat the purpose.

There is no practical reason to switch to or also support ogg vorbis, only philosophical ones. All it does is create more work for already busy people.

Don't use the random rpms from rpmfind, add the livna repository which will include a lot of the nonfree software you want.