xmitman

Identify Owner of Website

19 posts in this topic

Can anyone help to identify the owner of this website, http://justicebuilding.blogspot.com or this email address, HOWARDROARK21@GMAIL.COM

, I used Natas' trick from 2600 magazine, Autumn 2006, "Ownage by Adsense", but it doesn't yield any additional info. Any Blogger or Gmail owner identifier tricks? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Xmitman

I thought a whios would give you the name, of course it might be fake, you could of course use the server IP address and enter it into your favitore tracking software, this will give you the loaction, then you could use the whios and loaction and do a manual search throught a phone book, the opeartator, or the police,(those damn people didn't give me there number plate after i carshed into them when i was out side there place), if the server is not theres you will have to hack it and find the usertoip on the server.

Hope it helps , use the network that is already in place.

It's a subdomain, so tracking the server or doing a whois lookup, won't work. Thanks anyway. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Xmitman

This kind of a thing is tricky to do as there really is not a lot to go on. A couple of things that you possibly could do involve Social Engineering. Probably the easiest thing to do it call up the Blogger people and tell them that you are a journalist and that one of the posts on that blog are violating your copy rights. Under the DMCA the third party that is hosting the blog is required to take the site down and then notify their owner since they become responsible as well if they do not take it down. During the course of speaking with the Blogger people you could get the owners information, but I doubt that it would help you at all since surely the owner signed up under a phony name. WARNING: This is strictly illegal and also very ignorant since they would likely cancel the owners account all together.

Another thing you can so is check out the logs for the site. If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the blog you will see a very small graphic for a "Site Meter" account. If you click on the "Who's On" link it will show you people that have recently visited the website along with the detailed info of when they visited. If you manage to read the blog a few minutes after a new post is made you will surely get the owners IP address because he will check his posting and make sure everything is correct right after writing it. The problem with this is you only get a partial IP address but it should be good enough to figure out the ISP and possibly the general area within the city where it is.

Aside from that everything else is pretty much down to Social Engineering. I know a lot of people don't have the balls for that and expect a simple, click-here, download-this type of solution but SE is the most effective in these kinds of situations.

Edited by DamienAK

The most recent blog entry for the Rumpole Blog is "The Key is the mail". You get this by reading downward, the first character in each sentence forms the clue.

Edit: Did you see this? http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2760/work.html Could be a photo of him.

I'm inclined to lean toward this being a red herring, but not so much as to ignore it completely. He wears his Republican politics on his sleeve, and his old geoshitties page is in the Capitol Hill section.

Edit Edit: Hmmm... perhaps not.. if you look at the "politics" page, you'll see another reference to Ayn Rand... looks like this may be the guy... http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2760/politics.html

post-1961-1184346203_thumb.jpg

post-1961-1184346212_thumb.jpg

I just had to say ... Howard Roark, that is awesome. Whoever he is has great taste in literature. :P

Yep, he's got several mentions to Atlas Shrugged. If you look at his profile, his comment is "Who is John Galt".

More on the Rand connection:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2760/rand.html

As I thought more about it, I realized that Ayn Rand's thoughts have formed a very central part of my beliefs. Over the course of my adult life, I have read her mainly for enjoyment, and I take great pleasure and comfort from the things she put into words: her absolute confidence in logical reasoning, her utter belief in the "rightness" of Man, her unshakable integrity, and her fearlessness in the face of the terror of the universe. When talking about Ayn Rand, I find that only absolutes fit her: she was absolute in everything she said, and if she said it, you could be absolutely certain that she meant it. I admire her for her relentless logic and her blinding brilliance. If any person could be said to have a mind like a steel trap, it would be she. Or, judging from the effect that she has on some people, a mind like an exploding bomb.

"Howard Roark" has a Amazon profile at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pdp/profile/A2LYND7WIGNHMB , which puts him as a denizen of the UK; a fact echoed by his whoisrumpole blog.

web.arhchive.org also lists an email address of howard_roark@geocities.com

Copyright 1997 by Howard Roark

howard_roark@geocities.com

Here's a PGP key...

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Version: 2.6.3a

mQBNAzMjWlkAAAECAN/HvSKAhmBfwvvGQ5+R7xvNvVyLmP3BgEARgOHKt4rjWKzY

9Gy0dGjKhSAh97+xobbtzWtSjTrQwuxBbJqca90ABRG0KUhvd2FyZCBSb2FyayA8

aG93YXJkX3JvYXJrQGdlb2NpdGllcy5jb20+iQBVAwUQMyNaWcLsQWyanGvdAQHH

IgIA29WShn4+lRN92G5idZINBVzGANTIJgZgBktyZ8eqCwrmj2LRsp5AE2PVxGCX

KiKS+fSg+DuIY0S9DWKeaQqhlg==

=2boP

-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Back to OP, it's impossible to find out who actually uses the subdomain because Blogger won't be giving you the info. Running a WHOIS will only give you Blogger's info, so you're probably up the creek.

One problem here is the people that like Rand will use things in reference to her cryptically and almost religiously. There will be lots of "Howard Roarks", just like under my avatar it says "A is A" a central belief Rand derived from Aristotle.

I'd like to play later. :D

I'm at work now so I am a little busy (conference call on mute, lmao). If you can catch me up, what connection, if any are there to the blog in the OP, and the Geocities Roark, and especially the strike the root one.

I agree, there are TONS of Howard Roarks. But it's not a futile search... Might be nothing, but...

http://freedomainradio.com/board/forums/thread/28299.aspx

This post by "Howard_Roark" is signed "John Pollak".

http://pview.findlaw.com/view/2804782_1?noconfirm=0

This John Pollak is a lawyer in Cali. Probably nothing, another red herring...

And on that note, I'm done for the day.

I have a legit $50 subway card I'll give to anyone who can figure this out. I do know that he's an attorney in Miami.

Xmitman

By the sounds of it i'am way off course but won't a zone transfer show the sub domains.

Well anything posted at a blogspot address could be anyone, even anonymous. The email is gmail, so the same can be said. Both are owned by google and can be setup anonymously.

Gmail - Signup in 60 seconds for a anonymous email

Blogspot - Once you have a gmail address, you can Blog

Good for freedom of press, bad if you are trying to find the "real" person.

There's gotta be a way to figure this out, maybe using the lost password question and answer. There has to be someone who knows vulnerabilities with Gmail or blogspot. Like I said, I have a $50 Subway Gift Card to whoever can help. I might even be able to come up with something else to give.

Xmitman

There has to be someone who knows vulnerabilities with Gmail or blogspot.

And how would that help? I could literally go over to blogspot, click the "Make a Blog" button, and be done. They have no idea who I am; same goes for Gmail, unfortunately.

The best you could possibly do would be to grab the IP address the person used to register from the logs, which would tell you the city that he's in, which you already know anyway. Unless you're willing to subpoena his ISP for his personal information, it's not going to divulge anymore information. And of course, this is assuming he didn't register using a proxy or public-access terminal.

In short, this can't be done.

I wish I knew how to find out because I do like subway. :blowfuse: :blowfuse:

SATMAN