natas

I'm Buying An iPhone!!

29 posts in this topic

That's it. I can't take it anymore. I want a $600 iPhone to screw around with!! When I went and tested them out they were pretty dope and now I'm really wanting one. I was going to go get one today but the Apple store is sold out. So I actually have to wait until tomorrow or Friday until they get more in. So yeah, by then I'll be an iPhone owner :)

The good news is that I will NOT be getting AT&T. I'm only buying one to hack the crap out of. So the first thing I plan on doing is using the DVD John hack to activate the iPhone without going through AT&T. I really only want the multimedia functions, namely the web browser, of the iPhone for right now! So I can do all that stuff just using Wifi.

So love me or hate me, I'm buying a frickin iPhone the next chance I get!!!

haha. Awesome. Does this mean we can expect some more info on this mysterious product on oldskoolphreak? If so, then I can't wait.

You're buying a $600 phone to not use as a phone? I think I'm really lost now.

The only reason I really ever considered it is because it integrates nicely with OSX but I think that I'm at a point in my life where no phone is worth $600. :P

Haha yeah and I can't integrate it with OS X because I have to do the activation hack on a PC!! Haha.

I'm really friggin anxious to design some web sites that look really good on the iPhone. So that's why I've decided to get one. It's all a business write off too ;)

NotTheory, this is what I imagine you doing with the iPhone.

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?typ...mp;video=iphone

I see him taking your Iphone and using it as a puck like he did the Sidkick ... LOL

That's cool natas. Good luck hacking it.

Right on!

Sounds like you are going to have fun with it and design sites for it.

I was going to get a Iphone but turned around and bought another AK.

Fuck I still might get one just to fuck around with.

Good luck with it natas. I can't see the price really being worth the price or practical use. I guess that I'm still addicted to be crackberry. :heart:

I'm addicted to my Crackberry too. But I plan on selling the iPhone on eBay when it starts to get little use, so it's all good.

I have an older Sidekick and a newer Crackberry that i do nothing with. My pda sits around doing nothing, all I do is use the desktop, and externals now, Bring the laptops to work, and use the wifi there. 600. for a phone is steep, but I am looking forward to what you find for it. I'll keep an eye out for others in this area playing with them as well ...

w00t! just got home with my iphone and finally found the instructions on how to activate it on a mac WITHOUT getting AT&T so i can use it as an iPod and Wifi web browser and all that. took about 15 seconds to do it once I had the program! pretty awesome.

w00t! just got home with my iphone and finally found the instructions on how to activate it on a mac WITHOUT getting AT&T so i can use it as an iPod and Wifi web browser and all that. took about 15 seconds to do it once I had the program! pretty awesome.

Screenshots ... Uhh Pictures ...

I'm addicted to my Crackberry too. But I plan on selling the iPhone on eBay when it starts to get little use, so it's all good.

May want to plan that soon. I hear that the second generation iPhone isn't far from release (December). I figure if I am ever going to buy one, I might as well wait until the holiday season, seeing as the 2Gen one is supposed to use WCDMA.

Oh, and how do you like the whole "whoooooosh" album browser? That has to be really fun for about 5 minutes. B)

I don't get it, why to spend $600 on something that is inferior to many of smartphones (PDA with phone) ???

I have seen an Iphone specification and it is not so great, you can get all these multimedia features on other devices and skinning like iphone is also not a problem.

its so sad that iphone will be launch here in the Philippines till next year :( ...

Why would they ever make the iPhone WCDMA when it uses AT&T which is GSM? Thats never going to happen in the US where they have a 5 year exclusive agreement with AT&T.

Rofl, Tom Dickson ROCKS!

iPowder :)

I Want one of those blenders :P

Edited by Phreaker Meekrab

Why would they ever make the iPhone WCDMA when it uses AT&T which is GSM? Thats never going to happen in the US where they have a 5 year exclusive agreement with AT&T.

AT&T does have limited 3G coverage in some US metropolitan areas. Not much help when you are out of the coverage zones, but at least it's a start. I imagine if they put out an iPhone with WCDMA capabilities, they will work on expanding their 3G network further.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html

Wait...so "3G" is really W-CDMA? I wasn't sure what GSM networks used for their 3G data stuff, but I figured it wasn't anything CDMA.

I know many (most) GSM networks in the US claim that EDGE is 3G even though it doesn't technically have speeds fast enough to classify it as a 3G. (some call it 2.75G)

I am not entirely sure if the link I posted is the one that covers AT&T's WCDMA network, but I do know that a few years back AT&T along with Ericksson announced the launch of the first North American widespread WCDMA network. Haven't heard anything more about it since however.

EDGE is DEFINITELY NOT 3G. That shits not that fast. Especially compared to EVDO.

Anyways, if you want to spam me on my iPhone it's "myhackediphone@gmail.youknowwhatgoeshere"

Cingular has launched a high-speed network known as "BroadbandConnect," based on UMTS and High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), to counter Verizon Wireless and Sprint's EV-DO networks. UMTS service was launched on December 6, 2005 in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, San Jose, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Puerto Rico, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore and Washington D.C. Cingular expected to launch UMTS in all major metropolitan markets by the end of 2006, as of June 15th 2007, the service is available across much of the United States.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular

So yea, not going to be WCDMA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-CDMA

On the right side of the page has a list of the evolution of cellular networks.

Edited by Kurced

From what i was told...the apple iphone is the same material used as the ipod. Which means as crappy as the ipods are and how easily they get scratched why the hell would you want to have that same problem with your personal mobile phone. unless it really is "tough"

i'd still rather stick with a blackberry w/ evdo.

The screen is actually made of this really tough glass. The iPod isn't made out of that. Also, from everything I've read, the iPhone is surprisingly durable. People have like dropped it on the cement and shit like that on purpose and it was fine. Something that wouldn't happen with the iPod.