ntheory

Neo1973/OpenMoko released

7 posts in this topic

It's supposedly available via the OpenMoko website now (they'll at least take your credit card). If you've never heard of this before it's a Linux-based cellphone that doesn't block you from using every feature. Unfortunately it's GSM-only and I don't see it getting a new hardware revision to support CDMA but it's cool if you have good GSM coverage where you live/work/play/hide bodies.

OpenMoko's web site

Also, PiratePalooza released the rPhone to compete with the iPhone. :P j/k

I’m very tempted to buy one, I just wish it had Wi-Fi.

The current release is supposedly the developer one. There is meant to be a later release around October that will have some more features including wifi. I think they are calling it the GTA02 (the one just out is GTA01).

Ya, the later release will have wifi, I've been waiting for that one to come out and to see some reviews of it. It sounds like a really cool idea but I wanna make sure it will do everything I want it to. As far as I know you will be able to use them on any gsm network.

Yep, the phone is completely unlocked. I didn't check to see if it's quad-band but I assume that it is so it should work just about everywhere that there's GSM service regardless of the band (800/900/1800/1900).

Why would you want this thing now that the iPhone is out? :blink:

:P

Yep, the phone is completely unlocked. I didn't check to see if it's quad-band but I assume that it is so it should work just about everywhere that there's GSM service regardless of the band (800/900/1800/1900).

This is great! That Neo Advanced box is leet. I have been debating buying a new :heart: blackberry :heart: but I may hold out for this.