p0d

Forget DNS

20 posts in this topic

Well as you all know(?), I have been trying to get a sight up and running for a while now. Yet I ran into a problem, DNS yeah its great an all but hey you need a fucking deal with a server or DynDNS (which is awesome, I used it for a bit) the way I see it having to be charged for any kind of service to have your host/server/compy recognized on the interwebz is evil and rude. I mean seriously WTF, like shouldn't this kinda thing be free? So with that (admittedly) warped conclusion (and in an effort to make the site less accessible to the general public, thus exclusive) I have chosen to kick it old school with the [/etc/hosts] configuration file. Thats right, if you wanna access my shitty little site (which as I learn Java, CGI scripting should hopefully give birth to a nice little community) your gonna have to crack open Vim, or whatever editor you use and edit the file to point to my address.

I'll be running an IRC as well so yeah... wtvr.

Anyway, has anybody else gone with this route?

And yes, you can still access my site with windows, via the various host files that are laying around in the bowels of the system. That way you don't have to memorize the IP address each time.

Edited by baby-Hackribs

Is that a static IP? I just tried to get to your site via the IP and had no luck. If it is a static IP then surely you could pay all of about $10 a year or whatever it is to get a proper DNS entry aimed at it. If it is a dynamic one, then what you are trying will not work as the IP will change. If it is dynamic (which I suspect it is) then you will need a service like dyndns to have any kind of accessability to it.

This is all assuming that your ISP doesn't block port 80 on your connection.

I lost you part of the way through that explination, as it is 4am, but try www.easydns.com

they're what I use for my DNS needs, and it works amazingly.

Is that a static IP? I just tried to get to your site via the IP and had no luck. If it is a static IP then surely you could pay all of about $10 a year or whatever it is to get a proper DNS entry aimed at it. If it is a dynamic one, then what you are trying will not work as the IP will change. If it is dynamic (which I suspect it is) then you will need a service like dyndns to have any kind of accessibility to it.

This is all assuming that your ISP doesn't block port 80 on your connection.

rollingbitbox could connect to it the other day, hmm strange, are you sure you tried 76.19.248.86?

501337: Looking at the easyDNS site....

Edited by baby-Hackribs

I don't know what you were looking at but DynDNS has, and always has had, a free service. I've also posted a number of free 3rd party DNS services in the past.

I know, I know, but still it doesn't give me my own like exclusive domain name. Although I could prolly set one up with DynDNS and easyDNS web forwarding

Scratch that, I think my ISP caught on and has blocked port 80 incoming, because after registering with DynDNS it doesn't work the connection times out after about 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Scratch that, I think my ISP caught on and has blocked port 80 incoming, because after registering with DynDNS it doesn't work the connection times out after about 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?

1. Get a hosted web server.

OR

2. Also, there are plenty of people willing to make a little room on their servers for subdomains. Buy a domain name and have the DNS servers use that domain insted of "http://subdomain.domain.com'

Just a suggestion.

Of course exclusive domains will cost money, after all, someone has to pay a registrar for it.

yeah, but still I mean c'mon th domain name would just be something like CHS, Coniferous Hackers Society. sigh

ps: n3xg3n thats a bunch

yeah, but still I mean c'mon th domain name would just be something like CHS, Coniferous Hackers Society. sigh

ps: n3xg3n thats a bunch

No, its free =/

"ManagedDNS: Free Dynamic DNS" :unsure:

checkout www.afraid.org .... they offer free DNS services and easy dynamic DNS updates.

Ya I <3 shit ISP's .....

I Comcast is bad but my friend is in a complex and he has a "convergent" bill on a shared (NAT) fuckin bellsouth connection ... I told him ya its -$6 a month but really that is about some bullshit his up was like 8KB/s ..

I was thinking of makeing a hacking forum, i was going to block everthing bar 80tcp so nmap wouldn't detect that the host was up and put my site on port 3000, so unless you know the port you add no hope(apart from trying them all or some other port scan) to acesss the site. I to i'am having probelms with the dns i was just going to pass around by emial my ip(i'am still on dial up), when i get broadband for people to acess my site, and the people that register with there emial, if my ip changes due to restart i would repost to them.

Just my yarn

if my ip changes due to restart i would repost to them.

Just my yarn

.....or you could just use a dynamic dns update client .... no-ip.com etc ... or just get a lame freehosting site till you get on nightspeed because dialup webserver is about pointless as ....

"because dialup webserver is about pointless as ...."

No shit like i said if i had broadband my site would be up. And the point of my server is to be hard to find, so i can weed out the user i don't want.

Meh sight isn't up that much..... oh well