StankDawg

BinRev meeting at defcon

39 posts in this topic

I am looking at some options for a get-together at defcon.

At the very least, I want to get together for a bite to eat in the food court at that fashion show mall which is a 15-20 minute walk from the Riviera. It is publicly accessible, free, and anyone is welcome.

Ideally, I would like to get one of the many smaller rooms that they have at defcon to use for some presentations just for our meeting. Not as any weird "outerzone" type bullshit to disrupt the con, but just a a fun breakout session for binrev members. I have at least 2 presentations that have not been seen yet, plus I have several that are from older conferences and meetings that I can have as well. I think Enigma has a few that he could give and maybe some others as well.

The problem with the second idea is the space. I cannot figure out who to contact about reserving one of the rooms. No one seems to respond to emails there. We could do them in that food court in the mall, but we all know how loud/difficult that could be. We could do it in someones room if we really had to, but would anyone have a problem with that? It could get crowded.

Right now, I am tentatively shooting for Saturday at 12:00 NOON Vegas time as a start time if we do talks of our own. I suspect that we can easily do 2 or 3 hours of talks and truthfully, we could do a whole track by ourselves if we wanted to. If we only do a meet -up for supper at the food court, we can do that starting at 4 PM Vegas time and be back for the 6 PM talks. But looking at the schedule for that time, I didn't see anything between NOON and 6 PM that I wanted to see (no offense to those speakers) so I would love to do a meeting during that time with presentations of our own. It might also be better to meet at NOON for lunch and then come back afterwards and do presentations and meeting stuff. Friday has decent speakers and that first day is usually very busy in general with people meeting up, so that doesn't look good to me. Sunday is usually tough since many people fly out Sunday and it is a short day anyway so that is no good either. It looks like Saturday is the best option, it is just a matter of timing.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO: Post here, and I mean within the next week or so since time is running low, and let me know your thoughts. Is this time bad because we are missing good talks? Is it too long/too short? Does anyone have contacts to get us a room reserved for talks? Does anyone even want talks? Should we just do a food run/meeting? any other comments/suggestions?

Obviously, this is only for those people who will be attending defcon 15 so please don't post if you will not be attending. Also, this is a lot of work on my part, so if no one posts here, then I will scrap the idea altogether. I don't have time to organize this if no one is interested. It is ok to post that you are not interested if that is how you feel. It won't hurt my feelings. :heart:

UPDATED: Changed time suggestion...also corrected the name of the mall.

doesn't the flying puppy do some goon stuff for them, you could ask him.

should i kick myself out of the forums now, or are you going to do it?

I'm down for pretty much whenever, I'm gonna be playing aCTF most of the time, but I wouldn't mind taking out a few hours to get together and have a meetup and giving a short presentation.

stank,

that's an awesome idea and i think people are interested. i contacted grifter about getting a skybox, but to be honest, it probably wont fly. if we cant get a space to do it, i *think* we can do a less formal one on one thing. what i mean is that we can set up an area where there will be a couple of senior binrev people at all times. if you have a question about something, you can go and ask them. they will help you and anyone else until their session is up. i'm not exactly sure how many people we have, but it may be good to setup a homebase and claim a couple of tables on the floor.

i just looked at the who's going thread and about 25 people posted. i dont know how many people are interested in having a binrev geekout and bring their computers. i can be there with my laptop helping people out if they want. also, i have not met half these people and i would definitely like to. it would be good to just say, everyone hang out here for a bit. admittedly, i didnt goto the meetup last year cause i had plans already.

lastly, my suggestion is to get everyone today for lunch on saturday and then do whatever we plan on doing. it'll be a good net to catch stragglers. if you say we start at noon and actually start at noon, you're going to get a lot of people walking in 15-30 mins late. i guess let's see what the people want...

verbal

Didn't we do the food thing last year at like 8? Either way I think having some presentations or whatever from BinRev members would be kinda cool. If I feel up to it, I did a presentation at Chicago 2600 meeting a few months ago that everyone seemed to like that I could do. As for afternoon meet, I have a few things I want to goto but if you get a room or something I'll drop in.

stank,

that's an awesome idea and i think people are interested. i contacted grifter about getting a skybox, but to be honest, it probably wont fly.

Thanks verbie. Were they all already reserved? What about rooms 106-115, are any of them available?

stank,

that's an awesome idea and i think people are interested. i contacted grifter about getting a skybox, but to be honest, it probably wont fly.

Thanks verbie. Were they all already reserved? What about rooms 106-115, are any of them available?

I think that is part of the DefCon deal they have as far as those skybox rooms go. I know a couple of them were for the Lock Picking and other things last year.

grifter hasnt gotten back to me yet, so i dunno.

stank,

grifter hasnt gotten back to me yet, so i dunno.
stank,

i suppose i could dig up something to talk about and wouldn't mind pitching in

I'd be interested in a binrev/ddp meetup. Is the food court air-conditioned though?

I'd be interested in a binrev/ddp meetup. Is the food court air-conditioned though?

Yes, it is inside the mall. It probably isn't ice cold, but it is air conditioned.

Things are not looking good for getting a room for larger presentations (I will have my laptop that we can huddle around though, so I will do at least one short one even if I have to do it multiple times at different tables so that everyone can see).

I'm up for a meeting.

ok just so people dont get confused it called "Fashion Show Mall" and its right accross from the Wynn hotel.

good catch...my mistake. Fashion SQUARE mall is where the local Orlando 2600 meeting is held. :blush: The mall in Las Vegas where we will be meeting is fashion SHOW mall. The map is accurate though.

what about the idea of getting some binrev tables on the floor and staffing a couple of senior binrev people there at all times so other binrev people can come and ask for help? the only commitment i need is just senior binrev people to volunteer their time to man the tables. i'm thinking like 2 hour shifts? let me know if you would be interested. anyone who thinks they can help is welcomed. it'll be good to have some sort of binrev homebase anyway, for meetups, or whatever.

thanks,

verbal

Yes, it is inside the mall. It probably isn't ice cold, but it is air conditioned.

Things are not looking good for getting a room for larger presentations (I will have my laptop that we can huddle around though, so I will do at least one short one even if I have to do it multiple times at different tables so that everyone can see).

he only commitment i need is just senior binrev people to volunteer their time to man the tables. i'm thinking like 2 hour shifts?

Let's see... 3 days = 3 * 24 = 72 hours. 72/2 = 36. So you need enough people to fill 36 shifts.

what about the idea of getting some binrev tables on the floor and staffing a couple of senior binrev people there at all times so other binrev people can come and ask for help? the only commitment i need is just senior binrev people to volunteer their time to man the tables. i'm thinking like 2 hour shifts? let me know if you would be interested. anyone who thinks they can help is welcomed. it'll be good to have some sort of binrev homebase anyway, for meetups, or whatever.

thanks,

verbal

you can count me in to cover a couple shifts if you get something set up

I should be able to attend. hopefully this all gets straightened out soon; Defcon's around the corner.

Actually why not meet at the Riviera itself?

I think this would be a good idea also.

I actually think the Fashion Show Mall is an excellent meeting place (except the walk through the heat to get there). I live in Las Vegas (BTW: it's like 120 degrees today) and, if I'm not mistaken, there are two dining areas within the mall; a downstairs one, near the Apple store, and an upstairs one, next to Pretzel Tyme. Anyone who lives here in Vegas feel free to correct/confirm this information. It has been a few months since I have been inside the mall (or on the strip for that matter) so perhaps a Defcon meeting point would be appropriate, so no one gets lost. Although, I'm sure the group will be easy to spot, what with all the computers and whatnot.

If we could have gotten a room, we would have. Someones actual hotel room will not be nearly big enough. Any random space at the conference will be too loud. Besides, we need to break and eat anyway.

So it looks like we will just be meeting for supper (or "dinner" as you yankees call it) so the meetup will be at 4 PM Vegas time. We will leave the Riviera at 3:45 PM Vegas time. This will allow us to get back for 6 PM talks that some people wanted to see.

MEET at the REGISTRATION DESK at 3:30 PM VEGAS TIME and we will leave at 3:45 to walk over to the mall as a group. I will wear my "StankDawg" jersey on Saturday so I will be easy to find. We will leave the mall at 5:30 to head back to the Riviera for the evening talks.

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

If we could have gotten a room, we would have. Someones actual hotel room will not be nearly big enough. Any random space at the conference will be too loud. Besides, we need to break and eat anyway.

So it looks like we will just be meeting for supper (or "dinner" as you yankees call it) so the meetup will be at 4 PM Vegas time. We will leave the Riviera at 3:45 PM Vegas time. This will allow us to get back for 6 PM talks that some people wanted to see.

MEET at the REGISTRATION DESK at 3:30 PM VEGAS TIME and we will leave at 3:45 to walk over to the mall as a group. I will wear my "StankDawg" jersey on Saturday so I will be easy to find. We will leave the mall at 5:30 to head back to the Riviera for the evening talks.

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

I'm going to wear my WhiteSword TV shirt and have my PLA hat on :voteyes:

There's a food court at the Riviera that's quiet. That might work. Just throwing it out there.