Swerve

Making two websites appear to be owned by 2 different people.

10 posts in this topic

Hey Binrev,

Need some advice.

My goal is to make two websites I am building appear to be owned and ran by two completely different people.

For them to appear completely unconnected so that if a snooping user or competitor goes to site A and sniffs around (whois, ping etc), they cannot see a connection between site A and site B and so accept the 'front' that they are unconnected.

My problems in creating this illusion is:-

Site A's domain is listed under whois as standard.

Site B's domain has been listed using a 'proxy registrar'.

The sites are both hosted on the same shared hosting account.

Now, I'm hoping that (and I'm not professing any indepth knowledge here) that by registering site B's domain using a proxy registrar service that anyone doing a whois lookup on B will not be able to see a connection in terms of my name, address etc which is visible on site A.

And I'm guessing that by ping'in both sites, they will both show the same IP, which is an obvious give away and a problem I am facing with this.

So what I'm looking for is what 'give aways' will there be and how can I stop or minimise them from being discovered, including the ping issue above.

Thanks all.

Note: This is for a completely legal reason and goal, just trying to protect my interests.

Thanks.

Just get hosting from someone else...you can find pretty sweet hosting somewhere else really cheap. I dont understand why it matters if someone pings your sites...all it will prove to them is that they are hosted by the same company.

So. You're looking to take a site thats already working and operated, and make like an identical site? You could buy a domain similar to theirs, and set it up to forward to their site. I believe that might solve ping problems. And if you do register it with a proxy, you should be fine. But maybe use one in Russia or something. That way if its a phishing site and it heats up, hopefully the proxy service won't let your real IP slip (most do keep logs of who connects)

So. You're looking to take a site thats already working and operated, and make like an identical site? You could buy a domain similar to theirs, and set it up to forward to their site. I believe that might solve ping problems. And if you do register it with a proxy, you should be fine. But maybe use one in Russia or something. That way if its a phishing site and it heats up, hopefully the proxy service won't let your real IP slip (most do keep logs of who connects)

hehe, thanks PhreakerD7 but this is nothing to do with Phising or anything, it's all completely legit buddy.

The reason I'm asking on Binrev is that most of you guys know how best to hide this connection as best as possible, without it being compromised.

You see site B will be advertised on site A's competitors and so should they discover that site B's 'top sponsor' is infact site A's owner, then they will stop me advertising site B with them. Black hat advertising if you like.

Hope that makes sense.

Sure I can get another hosting account, but that's the last option.

Edited by Swerve

By two sites, do you mean 2 different domains? If so, why would they share an IP address?

Just curious about that

By two sites, do you mean 2 different domains? If so, why would they share an IP address?

Just curious about that

Why wouldn't they share an IP? Most web hosting solutions share a single IP between hundreds, sometimes thousands, of sites on the same box. This is how most big name control panels work.

As for trying to make them seem like different sites, use different WHOIS information (or just use WHOIS privacy on both) and use two different -- but cheap -- web hosting accounts. Problem easily solved.

Even with the same IP address on a box hosting thousands of sites...sure that is a valid defense, but it still looks suspicious. If you want them to really stand apart, use two separate hosts in completely different class a address blocks.

Also, one common method that busts people is to make sure that you don't use the same DNS server for both. I bust people that way all the time.

Also, don't do careless things like referring to email address from one site on the other site and vice-versa.

If you wanted to stop them pinging you, you could block icmp at the firewall. If you use the princilpe of block everthing then open up what you want, seems to stop nmap detecting the OS useing fingerprinting.

Hope its what you want

Thanks everyone,

This has given me all the info I need. I don't think the people I'm dealing with are quite as skilled as the everyone here, but following all your advice should be enough for my needs.

BTW, I couldn't find the one I found last week, but there are tools which show all the domains hosted on a single server, and indeed they show you just how many they cram on them.

Thanks everyone,

This has given me all the info I need. I don't think the people I'm dealing with are quite as skilled as the everyone here, but following all your advice should be enough for my needs.

BTW, I couldn't find the one I found last week, but there are tools which show all the domains hosted on a single server, and indeed they show you just how many they cram on them.

whois.sc and robtex.com both do this.