teh l33t tj

Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell e1705

11 posts in this topic

I have a dell e1705 and when i put in the fiesty fawn official cd it tries to boot it, but stops after "running local boot scripts" and it says "bcm43xx error microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load found"

I think it has something to do with the broadcom 43xx wifi card i have, but i don't know why the live cd won't boot.

If you want to install Ubuntu and there's a problem with the live cd, there's also an "alternate" CD download. It has a traditional Linux installer and no live CD nonsense.

I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it. You could try asking on ubuntuforums.org.

If you want to install Ubuntu and there's a problem with the live cd, there's also an "alternate" CD download. It has a traditional Linux installer and no live CD nonsense.

I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it. You could try asking on ubuntuforums.org.

i wanted to boot into the live cd to repartition and make sure i could get wireless working.

I suggest you get version 6.06 LTS, or in other words, stable version. 7.04 works, but it may be easier to just upgrade once you have a working system.

Also, did you try to boot into safe mode?

Since he's using an ATI video card, it's safe to assume it's not the Intel card. The Intel card is (typically) part of the Centrino bundle and if you're not using that, you only get to use the Intel 3945 (or Broadcoms) and that card is not supported by Ubuntu by default. Ubuntu includes the ipw2200 package whereas the 3945 card needs the ipw3945 package which is not included by default.

i Cant even get my pc to boot from disc otherwise Id install ubuntu any Ideas?? I got my boot sequence CD rom first The HD then Cd rom again as the 3rd

i have an e1705 and had to install from the alternate cd.

I found this.

So you're not going to get much help using it to repartition. I have found that the Gparted livecd works just fine though.