Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codar

podiobooks

4 posts in this topic

Well basically these are just audio books that are podcasted... i got this link from a recommendation made by Chess the host of the linux podcast show linuxreality.

I am currently listening to "Shadowmagic" and "The Immortals", the quality of these podiobooks are quite good. You could have chapters of the book delivered to you daily, every three days, weekly and monthly. Here are some recommended podiobooks...Singularity, How to Succeed in Evil Volume One, Brave Men Run.

and finally the url:

http://podiobooks.com

I've mention "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth" by Cory Doctrow here on binrev early last year. Well, it was just awarded the Locus Award for best Novelette. Pretty much everyone here would love it, I know you would Codar. Cory reads it perfectly, and the story is ... well, the best speculative fiction novelette of 2006.

http://www.craphound.com/?p=1678

Podiobooks is an awesome site. Thanks a ton man.

Sounds interesting, i'm sure i'll enjoy it. Moving on have you read the Heretic by Jason K. Chapman, It actually came out some years back I think; I read a couple paragraphs but it just sort of slip my mind and i didn't get to read all of it...sounds like an interesting story and it's available free on line to read or you could purchase a soft-cover copy.

synopsis:

When computer records are trusted more than our own memories, more than our own senses, whoever controls the computers controls reality. The Heretic is a new kind of story, blending high-speed action with the fantasy elements of virtual reality. In the shadows of the net, a battle rages among powerful programmers whom novices see as no less than wizards. The prize: control of the very fabric of reality.

The Heretic is a former FBI agent who helped build the bureau's computer crimes division. He has erased every trace of his former existence, including the records of his own birth. He lives on an isolated ranch in Montana, creating whomever and whatever he needs to live by manipulating the computer records of banks, government agencies, and private businesses.

The Guild began as little more than a professional organization for the spell casters of the computer world, the programmers. Now, it has become an icon as powerful as the AMA. Its certification has come to be viewed as a license to operate. Even the Federal government has begun awarding contracts to the Guild, in spite of the organization's condition of anonymity for its members.

A mysterious hacker stalks the Heretic across the net, dragging him into an investigation that takes him back into the real world. Soon, he discovers that whoever is behind a bizarre string of computer sabotage cases wants him dead.

Hunted by both the police and the criminals, the Heretic finds himself alone, battling for control of a not-so-virtual reality.

Heres the link but for some reason the link to read the acutall book is offline

http://www.happyhacker.org/heretic/