Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
orion

Your first hacks

135 posts in this topic

That was like the bronze age of home computing. I wonder what ever happened to that old TRS-80 machine. I still have a Commodore 128 that used to belong to a friend of mine back in the "olden days".

good story colonel panic.

as for me, first hack would probably be..... high school i guess. like any kid that got interested in hacking the first place i went was my school. my first school had no serious security. there's nothing here that was a big hack in itself, but i think the series of events would qualify as a hack.

-whatever program they used to keep track of books & who checked them out had to have access to student account numbers I suppose. well, surfing the networked drives one day i found a .txt file involved with that program. it contained each student's ID #, phone #, address, DOB, and other goodies (but thankfully no SSNs). i mainly used it to find out who owned what account, as well as calling friends whose numbers i didn't have. as far as i know, this hole isn't even fixed yet.

-we liked playing UT classic in the computer labs. they didn't, and blocked running "unrealtournament.exe". but that's alright, "unbelievablecontest.exe" was a better game anyways.

-me and my friend found tons of ways around the web filter. google images blocked? just include "picture" in the search, copy the URL for the link to image search, and paste everything past the ".com/" into the URL bar. they blocked images.google.com, but not google.com, or froogle.google.com.

-the password for the local admin account on each machine was "time", at least one of the years. we didn't bother trying that on the DC's admin though.

-to distribute passwords to the students so they wouldn't forget, they handed them all out on slips of paper, then had you write the PW on the front page of your agenda. well, it turns out kids lose agendas, let other kids borrow them, etc. our high score was about 50 different working accounts.

-they had wifi in the school which was protected with WEP. I didn't have the hardware to crack it at the time, so i figured the key must be stored on each local machine somewhere so it can auto-connect. it was, and a program to recover that key was easy to find. there was much more torrenting and mario kart the next few weeks.

-we did some serious exploring of the network drives, and found the entire county's schools were able to access each other's shares. well, some elementary school had their yearbook pictures on a share, and we could edit them. we picked a random kid to give a fro and cigarette to, but were nice enough to leave the original fine and leave the edit as a separate picture.

that whole charade was pretty fun, but we did make sure we weren't dicks with what we did and could do. after all, we didn't want to get in trouble (and didn't either).

My very first hack? Well, when I was around 5-6 years old, my father buyed an old 386. Soon my sister installed a pirated version of Prehistorik, and my father used to enter the commands to start the game for me. One day he wasn't there and I tried to do it by myself, but I was scared because my mother told me that if I touched the computer it could broke. So I stayed 30 minutes trying to figure how to use the command dir and how to run executables :D

In the end, the solution to the problem was something like this:

c:\>dir

[...]

c:\>cd prehisto

c:\prehisto>dir

[...]

c:\prehisto>unprehst.com [a crack in RAM memory]

Programa instalado correctamente.

Fuck you Eric Zmiro!!

c:\prehisto>prehisto.exe [the game]

Years later, I realized that I had fun doing this too xD. After that, I was curious so I typed c:\prehisto>edit prehisto.exe and I was amazed because it gave me the message "Best protection by Eric Zmiro". This was impressive to me, and then I realized what the "unprehst.com" program was for.

P.S.: I still use "dir" instead of "ls" in linux xD.

I never really had a "first" hack. I had a series of hacks at the same time that allowed me to do some damage to some kids files.

Step 1). At my school you weren't allowed to access command prompt even through "run > cmd" so I figured out the problem of why it wouldn't work. So I looked into my system32 folder at home and got command prompt from that... If you're wondering how this worked heres how stupid my IT Department is. They simple deleted the "cmd" command from system32 which was a smart move sorta. But the idiots forgot the rest of the other commands so all I had to do was copy mine.

Step 2). Once I had command prompt I then was able to use the netsend command to all of my friends and I freaked them out. It said stuff like "WARNING: The file " (I would name the file that they where on) " contains a virus and the computer is infected. Please restart the computer to avoid any more damage" and some other junk.

Step 3). I then sent a message to one of the teachers (I found their username via ddeshare) saying that I was the computer administrator. I sent a message that asked for their password in need of a security check because my school had detected a recent "security breach" and that they needed to send it to an email address that I created that looked like "(I put my school name here)@yahoo.com" and so the teachers would see the school name and send it to that address thinking that it was real.

Step 4). Once I had my teachers usernames and passwords I then brought my laptop to school (it had wireless connectivity) and so I cracked to password to the network whilst the IT Teacher was out of his room (I honestly felt like I was in some mission impossible movie because I had a camera set up in front of the teachers room and I could view it from my friends computer, he was a tech wiz and knew a whole bunch of programs that were really cool...)

Step 5). After I got the password and could access the schools website, I logged in on the website and was able to change my grades... But the teachers (this was the flaw of my plan) wrote down the grades in their gradebook and so they realized that the grades where changed. They then changed them back and there was a huge announcement before school about how someone changed the grades in the school computer and so they wanted to know who it was...

Step 6). I eventually got caught (don't ask me how it happened) but instead of getting punished I actually got rewarded (sorta) and the IT Teacher asked me how I did it. So I told him and he was impressed that a kid at my age (at the time was 11) could figure that out and pull it off to change my grades. So he let me teach the class one day about computer security and saftey (more like made me). But I got out of it with no demerits or anything and the IT Teacher also didn't realize that I was already working on my next scheme...

;)

But I got out of it with no demerits or anything and the IT Teacher also didn't realize that I was already working on my next scheme...

;)

Demerits? Demerits were the least of your worries.

Ever thought about them expelling you, pressing charges, and calling the cops?

Hmmm... my first hack.

Well, like most of you, i think it was at school when i was about 16. Most executables were disabled and blocked so we could only run what they let us. Because some of us were doin a Computer course we had slightly higher privilages and so had access to CMD. I fired it up and tried to run some progs that way but no go. I then got the idea to copy them (the programs i wanted to run) onto the c:\ drive and lo and behold i could run any program i wanted.

At first we started to just run emulators and things like that and the technicians found out so they disabled it (or so they thought). A simple vba macro got it back :P

From this simple idea a few friends and i totally owned the school computers. We could run any program we wanted and so started to gain access to more and more things. By the end of the year we had unfiltered Internet access (portable firefox using some setting we found on a document for all the schools in the area - it allowed us to bypass the school proxy and use what they were using directly :P ), could plug any laptop/computer into the school network points and use the same trick to get internet, got wireless (guessed the router user/pass). I think the thing i liked the most was using every computer in the school as our personal file servers. The school had about 100 machines (maybe more) with decent sized hdd but we we're only allowed 50MB of network space. By guessing password, using previous flaws and just using what we learnt about the network we could access any hdd by using the hidden windows share c$. We would download Linux distros and stuff on one machine and pick 'em up later at a machine with a cd writer. If one machine was being rebuilt we would just copy our secret stash to another.

We would also do other stupid stuff like have all the machines run crazy batch files at a certain time and things like that

That's "BPS" in your avatar, isn't it?

That's probably one of the shittiest animes ever made, but nice choice for an avatar.

Remind me to never let you around my niece.

Nice, you really did own them all... lol. That's pretty sweet. Did you ever get in trouble for it or anything?

That's "BPS" in your avatar, isn't it?

That's probably one of the shittiest animes ever made, but nice choice for an avatar.

:o

Take that back. BPS is awsome (a bit creepy) but still awsome. Who else can take down a super computer by using a phone to program and compile directly in hex :D

Nice, you really did own them all... lol. That's pretty sweet. Did you ever get in trouble for it or anything?

i'm gonna assume that was to me.

No i didnt. I got on pretty well with one of the admin. When he saw that we had created a little lan out of some spare PC's in the upstairs computer room and installed halflife on it and plugged it into the lan he started a "this is my network you cant do that blah blah blah" speech for about 1/2 hour (i felt kinda guilty afterwards). The admin was actually pretty l33t tho (actually one of the l33test people i've meet. He had some skills). He respected us and we respected him so we didnt do anything malicious. We did something cool just before we left, but i dont wanna say it here. It was quite a big deal and we would definitely get in trouble for it if someone i know read this post and put 2 and 2 together.

oh god, i remember batch files. the best is when you made a forkbomb out of one, then name it something like test_answers.doc.bat and leave it on a network share. sometimes you're lucky enough to witness the dishonest try to open it, and their computer crashes. something interesting though, i remember an interesting batch file virus i saw on the network drives. I printed out the code and examined it as much as I could but couldn't ultimately make sense of it since it had some shell code in there, but all it boiled down to was some old canned exploit someone found, then tried to make it say some other kid in the school was gay. they obviously didn't know what they were doing since iirc the exploit was for windows 2000 (or, maybe even earlier) and the school was running XP pro. that, and testing it revealed it didn't do anything in the least, but it was still kind of neat to find.

oh god, i remember batch files. the best is when you made a forkbomb out of one, then name it something like test_answers.doc.bat and leave it on a network share. sometimes you're lucky enough to witness the dishonest try to open it, and their computer crashes

You mean something like this?

@echo off
A: start
goto A

precisely, but i found it worked much better with something like this

filename: a.bat

@echo off
A: mspaint
notepad
iexplore.exe
explorer.exe
a.bat
a.bat
a.bat
a.bat
a.bat
GOTO A

so it wouldn't only open multiple copies of itself and continue to run, but it would open other, much more resource-intensive programs like paint, notepad, internet explorer, etc. i don't know if that code would run as intended as-is, but i think you get the idea. i think our record for crashing a school pc was under a minute, or 45 seconds. not very long at all, and the whole time it was opening new windows at an alarming rate, making quite the show.

precisely, but i found it worked much better with something like this

filename: a.bat

@echo off
A: mspaint
notepad
iexplore.exe
explorer.exe
a.bat
a.bat
a.bat
a.bat
a.bat
GOTO A

so it wouldn't only open multiple copies of itself and continue to run, but it would open other, much more resource-intensive programs like paint, notepad, internet explorer, etc. i don't know if that code would run as intended as-is, but i think you get the idea. i think our record for crashing a school pc was under a minute, or 45 seconds. not very long at all, and the whole time it was opening new windows at an alarming rate, making quite the show.

LOL, that reminded me of a time when i was at a friends house (when i was still in school - so a good few ago). I was at a smallish party and people started using the internet to play the bananaphone over and over again and it was really p***ing everyone off and i was like "d00d, stand back" and created a batch file that continually opened a new instance of iexplore with the url to the flash file until the computer crashed B)

I think hearing banaphone play ontop of itself a hundred times changes you :wacko:

Ah man, the old days were fun!

Edited by phr34kc0der

Ah... that is much better.

LOL, that reminded me of a time when i was at a friends house (when i was still in school - so a good few ago). I was at a smallish party and people started using the internet to play the bananaphone over and over again and it was really p***ing everyone off and i was like "d00d, stand back" and created a batch file that continually opened a new instance of iexplore with the url to the flash file until the computer crashed B)

I think hearing banaphone play ontop of itself a hundred times changes you :wacko:

Ah man, the old days were fun!

holy shit, i've done something similar with leekspin. opening multiple windows of that, and you start to see god and comprehend the universe. or your face just melts like in raiders of the lost ark.

and speaking of bananaphone, there's a really sweet senior prank i pulled using it. good memories.

What's leekspin?

OH. MY. GOD.

leekspin.com

while you're checking that out you might also want to investigate numa numa and goaste. :roll:

iirc, it's finnish folk music, but i'm not sure. there's probably a wikipedia article on it.